MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

For me it's been the complete opposite. I've had cases where I'm right behind a target, lock onto him in the ECM filter mode and fire, only to watch the missiles go left when the target goes right.

The range isn't anything spectacular either, the initial burst of speed is okay to roughly 5 km, but after that the missile pretty much hits a stone wall and drops from mach 3-4 to mach 0.5 in a span of few seconds, whereas many other missiles kinda float forward with a slow 'n steady decrease of speed.

well with the R-3R(and rs2us) you don't even need to aim, don't need to be behind, just keep the radar lock, wait till you're close enough, and launch... all the others require actual maneuvering into position and getting your pipper on the enemy to fire

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It, and missiles of that era (like the AIM-9B it was based on) were not able to pull a lot of g at all, and so could not keep up well or at all with a beaming target.

IIRC, these missiles were also very sensitive to G-forces during launch (the limit was 2 G's or so) and the USAF pilots were not trained well for this so a whole lot of them didn't even track as they were fired outside of the envelope.

They seem to draw parallels between the R-3R and AIM-9E which would make it still poor at pulling G's. Not sure about the G limitations at launch on the R-3R - the R-3S supposedly had 2/1.6 G limits, while the B had 2.5/2 (the second value is above 15 km).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I've never had an R-3R stop tracking on me just suddenly while i still have a lock on something, but I've lost lock before, they might only have so long of a battery life, what range do they stop tracking at?

remember... if at first you don't succeed, get closer and launch another.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last time it happened was yesterday on the 104th.

I lock an F15, I'm in range, I shoot the first missile, it doesn't track it just flies straight. Same with the second.

Well... there are only 2 reason I can think of why an R3R would not be able to track a locked target, while being well within max range, and nowhere near max g-load...

lag, in which case, you'd probably lose your lock, or not within 20 degrees of the pipper when you launch...

chaff does absolutly nothing to the R3R, though if you're within a few km, and buddy in the other plane dumps a crap ton of chaff you might lose your lock...

honestly I've never had an R3R just fly dumb directly off the pylon while I have a lock on someone, hope I never do.

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Extremely frustrating in this case, I acquired the lock in range, I had the element of surprise, the target was centered on the piper. And both missiles go potato. I got spamraamed pretty bad after that

2nd time it happened, last time was when engaging an a 10 so no real consequences .

Edited by Bidartarra

If the F-15 goes beam (3/9 line) does this unlock the r3r radar? If you look my latest video (start from 2:00)

I shot r3r but it unlocks, had to lock again. F-15 was on 3/9 position (checked this from Tacview) so this was the reason for unlcok or chaff?

Edited by coldViPer

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

For any radar in this game, look-down + beam = break-lock.

This is correct behavior.

But more importantly, you should have never been able to lock and that missile should have never been able to track with the scenario in your video: That radar and missile should simply not be able to see a target looking down into the mountains, you should just be seeing noise.

Anyway, nice job trying to stay alive at the end.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

But more importantly, you should have never been able to lock and that missile should have never been able to track with the scenario in your video: That radar and missile should simply not be able to see a target looking down into the mountains, you should just be seeing noise.

Thanks for clarification, I hope LN will fix this at some point.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

guess it's another good reason to stay as close to the ground as you can...

if you're 2 inches from the ground, nothing could possibly be underneath you lol...

but that was quite the fight coldviper, you made him work for it.

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you're anywhere near the ground, the radar should flat out quit on you. The reason for this is that you will get significant sidelobe reflections from the ground. In effect, you've just jammed yourself - same as looking down. Basically that era of technology is mostly INOP anywhere near the ground.

This works on modern fighters too, but those radars handle it better (and the combat distances are so small in those cases that people just don't notice, but last time I checked it was modeled).

However, modern radars do things that aren't modeled in that game either - let me put it this way. You see fighters being built to go higher and faster, and to shoot looking down. Why is that? Because you get huge advantages in missile kinematics, and your opponents are at a disadvantage for the same reason. Modern radar hardware and software will prevent the radar from dropping track just because someone went into the notch, unless they get in there and actually stay defensive. IN that respect the FC3 radars are modeled somewhat correctly: In STT they have a bit of a radar memory going. However the eagle's TWS doesn't have it, and it really ought to. My point here is, when you see all the different era aircraft and you get some visibility into what the systems can and cannot do, and WHY, you start seeing some serious differences in how air combat used to be, and how it is today :)

Anyway, for now this is all trivia :)

guess it's another good reason to stay as close to the ground as you can...

if you're 2 inches from the ground, nothing could possibly be underneath you lol...

but that was quite the fight coldviper, you made him work for it.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Track IR 5 + HOTAS + Mig 21

Just finished my first flights using my new TIR5 and HOTAS. I had 3 flights on the 104th and got shot down each time but I did chase an Su25 and F15. Both 60M.s did not connect with the intended target. It's going to take a few more flights to get use to the new gear. I'm amazed how much more I can see out of the cockpit. I think I've got motion sickness from the flights!

MORG

FjAVdeR.gif

vt3Z7mJ.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know the key command for the mirror up top and what the command is called fully on the options and controls for setting your controls in the MiG-21 is?

~C. Wyatt

I fly anything that without engine(s), it falls like a brick... and well everything else will too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know the key command for the mirror up top and what the command is called fully on the options and controls for setting your controls in the MiG-21 is?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice kills Hadwell, especially that first one. They didn't see that coming :D

Nice kills Hadwell, especially that first one. They didn't see that coming :D

They said they thought I was a friendly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How many possible kill per loadout?

Combien d'avion "descendables" avec 4 missiles?

Désolé j'ai pas compris :) si c'est pas pour moi dsl

It is true that I have a low level of English i am sorry.

I would want to know what is your ratio, your numbers of planes to kill for one flight.

Thank you in advance.

Tu parle français ? si oui en gros je voudrait s'avoir combien d'avion tu tue par vol ou sortie.

Merci d'avance

Ah sorry man.

So far it's more like one per day of playing (one every 4 hours lol) still pretty hard, I record a lot so I get my very few kills on video that way lol

It requires patience really, it's quite an endeavour!!

Oui, je suis français!

La patience et la chance avec le Mig 21 !

• Like 1