Rudder pedals backwards... maybe?

Puma

I noticed when I configure my Saitek Pro Combat pedals that I had to invert the axis to get the response I expected. I expect right foot forwards = turn left. Dunno why, thats just always how I've set it up and never thought more about it.

I noticed while waiting for a nav alignment to complete one day, that when I looked down, the in-pit rendered pedals were moving opposite to my feet. Is this a bug in the game, or if I flew a real plane, would I go the wrong way?

Cheers on this amazing product.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

...if I flew a real plane, would I go the wrong way?

Yup!

Aircraft rudder operation can seem counter-intuitive, but most people who have a problem with it aren't thinking about it the right way.

Don't think of it as turning the nose wheel, like a steering wheel or bicycle handlebars. Think of it as what it really is - turning the rudder.

Tool around on the ramp/taxiways for a bit and it'll feel natural in no time.

rudder.thumb.png.c771a73791cb12b0052728d4121b8be0.png

Edited by Harzach

dcs_sig.jpg

I had never used pedals in a sim or real aircraft (only twist stick in sim).

When I went on a try-fly of a helicopter about 2 years ago the instructor seemed well used to people thinking that pushing right pedal in meant turn left.

He said it is possibly from people making go-karts when they were young. Where pushing your foot forward on one side made you turn to the other :)

From what I've understood, the "right foot forward to turn right" convention became standard as much as anything because of wheel brakes, otherwise you would have to press the right pedal wheel brake while having to press the left pedal forward at the same time.

When I got my rudder pedals (a full CH setup) I too thought the other way seemed more natural as it matches the other controls: rotate the stick back to rotate the aircraft back, move it to the right to roll right, and rotate the pedals to the right to turn right, but you get used to the traditional "reversed" rudder controls.

Yep, the easy way to see it is to imagine the pedal is a brake. Push left pedal to slow down the left and therefore turn left.

Also, when you look at your turn and slip gauge, you "stand on the ball" In other words, if the ball is offset left, you push the left pedal to centre it.

It is a little counter intuitive, but that is how the real things work.

On a side note, in my early days of playing first person shooters I had the mouse up/down inverted because that felt more natural to me. When I realized that no one else did that and games might stop to support this inversion, I forced myself to play the "normal" way. The first couple of days were pretty terrible, but after two weeks I couldn't understand how I could ever play with the mouse inverted. :)

It was similar when I switched to player movement with WASD; I had a rather individual setup before. Again, the transition was hard but didn't take too long.

I think if you set yourself to use the pedals as they're used in real aircraft, you'll get used to it in a very short time. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Great responses guys. Sorry it took he so long to post back. I've fixed my pedals and it is taking a bit to get used to it. Wouldn't want to be my ground crew cause my first turn is always unexpected!!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png