Taking the next step from a Logitech 3d Pro! All advice appreciated!

Good afternoon pilots!

I've been here, part of the community for what's soon to be one full year already!

The joys and love for this sim haven't ceased to grow every second of it!

I've started off with a "cheap" stick as mentioned, the all so famous Logitech 3D PRO, and I must say have not been disappointed! A lovely stick, great for beginners as well as intermediate flyers out there.

Santa and I were discussing which way to go to pursue the experience with a new Hotas.

Although the Warthog seems to be the most liable choice, the means for the full Hotas are a little short.

I've been considering the X52, X52 Pro, X55 Rhino, and the CH products.

But I just can't seem to make up my mind.

The X52 said to be loose as a clowns pocket, the pro version not having dual throttle,

the x55 seems to have a poor layout aswell as a non linear feeling related to the "cap" at the bottom that pushes out the socket,

and the CH products, well no dual throttle either, and far behind on the price range ( any reason why? )

I plan on buying the TIR 5 too.

If you guys have any advice/experiences I'll be happy to take them, or if you guys know of a mysterious joystick on the market or maybe even "soon to come" ?

Good day to you all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

If only it were possible to buy the Warthog's stick, and the stand-alone X55 throttle my choice would probably be a lot easier :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

The X-52 Pro (what I use currently) is good to go as a "intermediate" HOTAS. Remember the pinkie switch in the pictures of it? That's a shift key, i.e. you could map twice the functions of the buttons on the HOTAS. If you are buying TIR 5, well, most, if not all of the HOTAS commands can be mapped with an X52 Pro. I also just got through transferring from a 3D Pro to the X-52 Pro, and the loose joystick is easy to get used to, not to mention it feels even better when it's that loose. With the pinkie switch below the trigger, I believe you could map around 50 functions in one mode (X52 has 3 different modes). I'm not so sure I can recommend you to buy it though, considering it's now manufactured by Madcatz. (you know how their products are :wallbash:) The throttle has a friction knob that should be able to change the friction of...well...I'm sure it's self-explanatory.

CH products are very good in build quality, and have usually had their designs never/barely changed over the years. The thing is exactly that, though. You're going to have to buy a separate throttle and rudder pedals (mind you it doesn't have a rudder twist on the stick). I'm pretty sure you can come up with how expensive that might be in the end.

Now, the X-55...I'm just gonna say this right now, the layout sucks. For someone with small hands like me, obviously it wasn't going to work out.

^ Pretty much says it here.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm really not convinced by the X-52, for the X-55 however, my hands are quite big so maybe the layout wouldn't be as much of a problem to me after all.

The challenge is finding a store that actually has it in stock and would be willing to take it out of the box so I could wrap my hand around it...

None of you would know of a way to buy the X-55 stand alone throttle by any chance?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

Also is there a difference between these two ?

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/344894/thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-zwart-pc.html

and

http://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/pc/hotas-warthogtm-flight-stick.html

I'm quite concerned with the more than HUGE price difference. While they both claim to be the same stick?

Plus if I wanted to add the Warthog throttle later I haven't seen any shop offering it as a stand alone...

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

There is only one TM Warthog, some people just ask ridiculous prices.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There is only one TM Warthog, some people just ask ridiculous prices.

Shame on them! ... Thanks for sharing this :) Odd seeing TM selling it for over double the price a small local online webshop does...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

IIRC, $299 USD is list price. I have seen it for less, but not often.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

For the stick only I've got quite reasonable prices:

170.71 USD ( converted from euros )

Full HOTAS:

382.55 USD ( again converted from euros )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

If I ever see the stick only, for less than $200 (without adding a fortune for shipping), I will buy it immediately just to have a spare.

If only it were possible to buy the Warthog's stick, and the stand-alone X55 throttle my choice would probably be a lot easier :p

On E-bay is a X-55 throttle for sale:

(You can purchase a warthog stick anywhere)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Saitek-Pro-Flight-X-55-Rhino-Throttle-PC-NEU-OVP-Schubregler-Mad-Catz-Gaming-/301454377864?pt=PC_Viedeospielzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item463014c388

Cheers

Beer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:drink:: A barrel roll is unloading the beer for a hangar party! :beer::

Aah thanks a lot for the information :), will keep it in mind, it's close to the price of the hotas so will continue digging:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

I used the Extreme 3D Pro for about 12 months. Great joystick.

Now it's a much more expensive and efficient solution: X-55 throttle and a VKB Black Mamba.

And it's possible to use three modes on both (activated separately).

You could also use a cheaper headtracking solution with a DelanClip, a PS3 Eye and OpenTrack. It's very precise and efficient.

The VKB Black Mamba is a pure jewel but I can't be objective ;) (consider the high-precision metal gimbal with magneto-resistive sensors (D-MaRS))

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

The X-52 Pro is a solid stick, probably the best bang for your buck tbh (or was until recently). Mine is around 8-9 years old and still works, though it's starting to show its age. It has a fair number of buttons and 3 extra axis (a slider and 2 rotaries) which are great for things like prop pitch, mixture, zoom, wheel brakes and trim. Most of those aren't relevant to a jet, but jets aren't the only planes around in DCS or other CFS's. I bought mine for $120 but looking at more current prices they seem to have shot through the roof.

I'm considering replacing mine with either a CH setup or an X-55. The X-55 has the advantage of being about $150 cheaper thanks to it not requiring pedals. It also has split throttles and many rotaries, both things the CH setup is devoid of. The CH setup has more 4 way hats though, so it has an advantage there. Given how much I like zoom on an axis, I'm leaning very heavily towards the X-55. As others have mentioned though, the X-55 throttle is really the selling point of that particular HOTAS. The stick itself, by most accounts, really isn't any better than the X-52 Pro and in some ways is worse.

That's probably because you bought it before Mad Catz came by and ruined the production line Maj_Death :)

Unfortunately as of now I find no other alternative than to gather the funds for the TM Warthog. 18 pages of "problems" with the X-55 really puts me off from even considering it...

I'm very disappointed none has managed to throw in a intermediate joystick without game-breaking features...

Obviously MadCatz neglects the testing phase prior to massively producing their products. It's a shame...

The Warthog may have it's down's but as far as I know don't go as far as breaking the game. IE ghosting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

I've been looking around the VKB Mamba, but the prices even top the Warthog...

There's a need for a viable stick at a lower price...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2