Wanted: Blender Support

Inrideo

It's been mentioned on and off through several posts over the years that people would like to see a plugin for Blender, since the sim doesn't support an open format that can be easily modded.

The Blender modding community is significant and this could only be an additional draw for new user content.

Heck, KickStart the cost of having a dev port the plugin for Blender. I'd buy in. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

T.Flight HOTAS | Custom DIY Cyclic and Collective | AMD FX8350 | 16GB RAM | 4TB HDD | 2x 128 GB SSD | NVidia 1080

• 6 months later...

+1 ;)

I am not a good modeller but i think that we could export .blend to .max with an existing plugin and then convert the .max to .edm if we want to get in the sim.

Bye, SU

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, GIGABYTE (AMD) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon / Realtek HD SoundCard, GIGABYTE FX-990GAUD Motherboard, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

• 6 months later...
+1 ;)

I am not a good modeller but i think that we could export .blend to .max with an existing plugin and then convert the .max to .edm if we want to get in the sim.

Yes, you can convert, but it requires a 3DS Max license (~$1500/year) to execute the plugin. Definitely something a structured team can afford, but too expensive for most individuals who are just trying to get their feet wet part-time.

I'd love to see plugins written to natively support blender to .edm conversion, that would be awesome!

Edit: to be clear, to me, the best option would be having ED write a blender plugin to convert to .EDM (or even some new format) that can be rendered in-game. I do NOT think .blend assets should be directly usable. The advantage of 1-way conversion is it protects the modeler's IP, which is important for the modding community.

--gos

Edited by gospadin

+1000

Also support for later versions of 3ds since soon 2014 will not be available with a dude that licence.

Gospadin, I thought the plugin still worked with the student version, certainly I recently converted a .max file to a .edm and it appears in the game.

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• 3 months later...