Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Hello @BuzyBee

For some time, we don't manage to have the "online debrief" work. We tried between several users with Tacview Advanced version, but none of us was able to connect to each other's session, who ever the host was. It's not the first time we have this issue. Have similar issues been reported lately?

Thanks

Edited by El Chapo

On 6/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, BuzyBee said:

Tacview's SUMMER SALE 2023 has begun: 40% off Tacview Standard and Advanced from June 29th to July 13th. 

To upgrade from Tacview Standard to Tacview Advanced at an equivalent discount, please contact us at support@tacview.net  

Happy flying!  

https://tacview.net/purchase/

image.png

Tomorrow is the last day of the summer sale!

https://tacview.net/purchase/

• 4 weeks later...

Playback Freezing/Stuttering

Hi,
not sure if here is the right place to post or on the other forum (awaiting registration approval)... so bear with me.

For some tacview flightlogs the playback (or scrubbing the timeline) is freezing/stuttering. The freeze is between 2-3seconds long and during that time the whole app is unresponsive.

This however... only happens on recordings that happen on a mostly empty map, doing a lot recordings (actually every flight) on the 4ya servers and the freezing issue does not happen on those flightlogs.

Had some similar issue for all recordings a few months back but an updated version of tacview sorted it out.

normal playback (4ya, quiet a few players online):

tacview_normal.gif

stuttering/freezing playback (with only one player logged):

tacview_freeze.gif
(no, I did not pause on the second gif)

This has been a while the case for those tiny flightlogs, but recently I did re-record some flightlogs from replays for briefing reasons and it happens there too (5-9 players online)

I did update today to the latest beta (1.9.3 b4), same. 

During replay some cores briefly spike as if some thread is stalling. I did a capture of the process explorer performance graph and you can see that each time it freezes there is a hump in the graph, surprisingly very well timed (I have 32 cores, hence why the hump is so small since it's likely just one core that is stalled)

YWTrVNh.gif

(the ED forum did not allow me to upload this gif... timed out, so I used imgur for it)

I did purge the registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Raia Software Inc., other than resetting the appearance it did not help.

Also attached the affected tacview, thats from a server without object/blah.. exports turned on.. so it's only me in it.

No clue why massive tacview flightlogs, even ones larger than 100MB, with massive amount of objects/players do play totally fine, but those tiny ones stutter/freeze so that they are not usable.

Did a search on freeze and stutter here, some occations are mentioned, but all related to DCS. If you want me to post this on the other board, say so, just needs account approval by then.

cheers

tacview_freeze_clientside.zip.acmi

Edited by durp
text formation...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello
On our dedicated server we have had the following problem:
When the mission is new and no client has entered, the first pilot to connect is not recorded by tacview, unless he disconnects and reconnects.
As additional information the server is configured with "resume with clients" and the tacview configuration is "set to Record One File Per Client"
Thank you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, Colmillo said:

Hello
On our dedicated server we have had the following problem:
When the mission is new and no client has entered, the first pilot to connect is not recorded by tacview, unless he disconnects and reconnects.
As additional information the server is configured with "resume with clients" and the tacview configuration is "set to Record One File Per Client"
Thank you

I figured out how to partially fix this problem; When the servers reboot, I enter the servers via the web and in each of them I do a manual resume for about 10 seconds, and I leave them on pause again.
Apparently this allows tacview to be activated correctly for clients that come in later.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Диванный пилот said:

Hi all!

Tacview v.1.9.2 advanced Steam version. The maps disappeared. Reinstallation didn't resolve the problem. Pleasem help.

Hide contents

Try deleting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Raia Software Inc. and restarting Tacview.

If that doesn't work please share a DxDiag and a Tacview log — https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/Help_ME_help_YOU!

1 hour ago, MirabelleBenou said:

Hello !

I'm doing a bit of cleaning in my export.lua file (I have Tacview installed seems a very long time). Now that it seems to use the hook method, do we still need entry in export.lua file or can I remove it ?

Thanks !

Hi, you still need that entry!

• Thanks 1

It seems i have a issue with tacview. When reviewing a track i can only see my aircraft? Everyone else on the server can see all the assists but i can? It used to work fine?

Where should i start looking?

On 12/27/2023 at 8:17 AM, Burnhaven said:

DCS: Cluster munition separation from AGM-154 shows as "hit"

Thanks for letting us know about this. Maybe it is because DCS identifies AGM-154 as a missile but Tacview should treat it like a bomb in order to display it correctly. We are going to investigate further and hopefully resolve the issue in a coming update. 

On 1/17/2024 at 3:42 PM, Tricky11 said:

It seems i have a issue with tacview. When reviewing a track i can only see my aircraft? Everyone else on the server can see all the assists but i can? It used to work fine?

Where should i start looking?

Hi, please share your DCS log - Saved Games\DCS\Logs\

В 11.01.2024 в 01:00, BuzyBee сказал:

Try deleting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Raia Software Inc. and restarting Tacview.

If that doesn't work please share a DxDiag and a Tacview log — https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/Help_ME_help_YOU!

Hi! Thank you for your advice. It didn't help, but I found out, that the reason was in common problem with my OS. I had to reinstall my OS, and now Tacview works fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tricky11 said:

Thanks. Can you try deleting C:\Users\chris\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and then rerunning the Tacview installer? You will also have to reinstall your other add-ons. 

https://tacview.net/download/latest/

If you don't want to have to reinstall your other add-ons, you could also try opening C:\Users\chris\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and editing it to put the Tacview line first

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

Let me know how it goes!

On 1/20/2024 at 7:47 PM, BuzyBee said:

Thanks. Can you try deleting C:\Users\chris\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and then rerunning the Tacview installer? You will also have to reinstall your other add-ons. 

https://tacview.net/download/latest/

If you don't want to have to reinstall your other add-ons, you could also try opening C:\Users\chris\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and editing it to put the Tacview line first

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

Let me know how it goes!

Ok seems to have stopped working after swapping to windows 11 at the beginning of the year. As i have not been impressed with the performance of VR in DCS since i swapped from windows 10  i have decided to do a complete new install with windows 10. Will let you know how i get on.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Tacview 1.9.3 is available now!

Download: https://tacview.net/download

• Release Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024
• Operating System: Windows® 32-bit / 64-bit
• File Size: 775.0 MB

First, we would like to wish you all a happy new year 2024!

Thank you very much for all the invaluable feedback and support you provided during the last year. We appreciate every community addon, simulator improvement and bug report. While we do not have the time to answer as many of your questions as we would like, we are doing our best to take all your feedback into account. Some improvements have already been implemented, other are coming, and some which require more thoughts and work will be probably come in Tacview 2.

Speaking of Tacview 2, as you can guess seeing the slow pace of change in Tacview 1.9, our focus has now mainly shifted to the future: Progress has been steady over the past year.

So, here's a glimpse of what we've achieved so far in Tacview 2 pre-alpha:

The new 3D engine is operational: It is a blend of modern technology and simplicity: Fully multithreaded and built on Vulkan, it's optimized for performance and portability. While it can display both photo-real and synthetic data effectively, its focus remains to render a clear view of the battlefield, even on modest systems. Most features have been implemented and we can already display as many simultaneous 3D and 2D views as we want, being limited only by the host system capabilities.

The UI engine is up and running. Unified across all devices, from PC to tablets, it will provide a coherent user experience. We've made progress in the UX design, and the final UI implementation will follow later this year. And yes, customizable skins and dark mode will eventually be an option!

All terrain engine core features have been implemented, such as level-of-detail, subdivision, and clipping. This means more details and improved performance compared to Tacview 1.9 – think of zooming in from space on a pebble! The Earth's ellipsoid shape is now accurately drawn: its shape, distances and properties are visually accurate. Plus, the sun and moon positions are realistically simulated which is useful for both dogfight and navigation.

On the engine side Tacview 2 is fully multithreaded to provide improved performance on modern hardware and to give even smoother experience compared to Tacview 1. It is currently being developed and tested on both on Windows and Linux (such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian), to guarantee portability and towards other operating systems such as macOS, iOS, and Android in the future.

Tacview 2 is all about modding! It is a bag of Lego: It offers the fundamental blocks to record data and to run debriefings. Everything we use and see on screen, from the free camera to the dogfight control zone display are addons written in Lua, JavaScript, C++, C#, and Python. Most things you see on screen can be modified, improved, and extended by you, the community. Sharing addons will be much more streamlined: you will only have to download and double click on a zip file, and Tacview will take care of the rest. Later we will also support the Steam Workshop, so we can install new maps, objects, and tools with just a click!

I can’t wait to put Tacview 2 into your hands and see what the community is going to do with it!

So, what are the next steps?

Telemetry Engine & ACMI Data Format: We are currently developing the new telemetry engine and improved ACMI data format improving upon the existing generation for greater performance, accuracy, and flexibility.

Data Import/Export: Implementation of telemetry data import and export is underway. Yes, Tacview 2 will seamlessly read Tacview 1.9 data.

Online Debriefing: First, we are going to make Tacview 2 compatible with Tacview 1 online debriefing. Then we are going to improve it further to allows automatic background download of the telemetry data. No more tedious manual file sharing between the participants.

Final terrain engine: We will then work on the final phase of the terrain engine, enabling texture and elevation data streaming from your favorite servers such as Bing Maps, NASA, and MapQuest, among others.

The final touch to reach an alpha version will be the new UI. Written from the ground up, it will be modern, clean, and intuitive. It will improve on Tacview’s strengths, such as non-bloated design, while offering a more intuitive organization of the tools of and options which will both work as well on a PC wide screen and a tablet touch screen.

Best wishes, and happy flying!
Vyrtuoz & BuzyBee

tacview-193-strategic-view.png

Release notes

FEATURES & CHANGES

• ADDED DCS: Sinai Map
• ADDED traditional Chinese localization from 張炯 "Billeinstein"
• ADDED compact Aspect-Angle label option
• ADDED numerous entries to the database
• ADDED x0.1 and x0.05 playback speeds
• ADDED /SetTime command line option
• ADDED support for 21-bit UTF-8 characters
• ADDED custom label ranges settings to the registry
• ADDED recording of NR and RotorRPM for DCS World Helicopters
• ADDED callstack to Lua error messages

• IMPROVED label between selected objects is more intuitively positioned in the 3D view
• IMPROVED terrain loading time on computers with a small amount of RAM
• IMPROVED plane is now removed from the world after the end of its csv file
• IMPROVED support of GPX files meta-data
• IMPROVED addons DLL loading errors handling
• IMPROVED DCS2ACMI debug log

FIXES

• FIXED calculated CAS not displayed in labels in Tacview Starter
• FIXED inaccurate warning when playing back a file with an anti-cheat delay
• FIXED crash when attempting to debug a .NET addon or throwing an exception in C#
• FIXED crash reporter not catching some rare exceptions
• FIXED rare installer freeze on some systems
• FIXED freezes when creating many contextual menus via an add-on
• FIXED misidentification of Fw 190 variants

Edited by Vyrtuoz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

The new Tacview looks great. I'm loving it.

I have a couple of general questions though:

1) When I open a file by double-clicking it in my file manager, which loads it in Tacview, the Primary Object pulldown is always focused on one of my flights in that file. How does Tacview know who I am and to load that exact object?

2) How can I search for Objects with specific strings in them, like my "DCS MP nick name"? Sometimes online I fly more than one type of aircraft and on very crowded servers it can be difficult to find all of ones own flights.

3) After setting a missile I fired as the Primary Object, is there a quick way--a hotkey--to return focus to the parent aircraft? It seams I always have to return to the pulldown, scroll up, and select the parent aircraft again manually.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:20 AM, Captain Orso said:

The new Tacview looks great. I'm loving it.

I have a couple of general questions though:

1) When I open a file by double-clicking it in my file manager, which loads it in Tacview, the Primary Object pulldown is always focused on one of my flights in that file. How does Tacview know who I am and to load that exact object?

2) How can I search for Objects with specific strings in them, like my "DCS MP nick name"? Sometimes online I fly more than one type of aircraft and on very crowded servers it can be difficult to find all of ones own flights.

3) After setting a missile I fired as the Primary Object, is there a quick way--a hotkey--to return focus to the parent aircraft? It seams I always have to return to the pulldown, scroll up, and select the parent aircraft again manually.

Hi,

1) Tacview uses the numeric property Importance to decide what object to focus on when opening a file. The local aircraft will have Importance=1.0, the maximum. See all the properties here: https://www.tacview.net/documentation/acmi/

2 & 3) There is no search function currently but there will be in Tacview 2.0. See more about Tacview 2.0 here: https://tacview.net/documentation/tacview2faq/ . By the way, you can Ctrl+Click on objects in the 3D view to select them. Press F1 to see all the hotkeys.

3 hours ago, BuzyBee said:

Hi,

1) Tacview uses the numeric property Importance to decide what object to focus on when opening a file. The local aircraft will have Importance=1.0, the maximum. See all the properties here: https://www.tacview.net/documentation/acmi/

Thanks for the explanation.

2 & 3) There is no search function currently but there will be in Tacview 2.0. See more about Tacview 2.0 here: https://tacview.net/documentation/tacview2faq/ .

Looks like I'll be looking forward to 2.0 then 😏

By the way, you can Ctrl+Click on objects in the 3D view to select them. Press F1 to see all the hotkeys.

Yup, I know those clicks; <ctrl><left-click> for Primary Object, <ctrl><right-click> for Secondary Object.

Often times I select a Maverick or so, and ride it down to the target for the excitement--I know, I'm easily entertained--and by then the firing aircraft has scooted off into the distance already.

I could 1) just scroll the Primary Object list back up to the firing "object", or 2) zoom out, look for the firing aircraft--I haven't gotten that far off, yet--and <ctrl><left-click> it.

A hotkey to press, which would directly return to the parent firing object--next parent object up the list--would simply be much easier than the above, because 1) I'm lazy, and B) see 1). 😉

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1