flying then out of control

m1tp2king

hi. I am playing black shark. the first mission.

it's a simple follow the leader, no combat.

so I am flying along nice and gentle, then the helicopter goes out of control and I crash.

I am not using auto-pilot.

this happens many times.

what's up ?

Post a track. It could be rotor collision by pulling too much collective and doing wild manuevers but without a track its anyones guess.

Also which campaign are you playing? if you are playing oil war I think, then the first mission with Wags voice brings you awfully close to the frontline. So you could have been shot down!

Yeah, sounds like rotor collision. Why are you not using autopilot? If you are struggling against it, turn on the flight director (keeps stability channels on but overrides the autopilot); also watch some videos on the autopilot, it's not quite the same as using a trimmer.

As mentioned above, you might have encountered rotor clashing. Flying forward decreases the lift on the blades that are moving towards the tail of the helicopter, which makes the rotor disc tilt. The rotors on the Ka-50 are spinning in opposite directions, so the rotors tilt in opposite directions, bringing the blade tips on the right hand side of the helicopter closer together. The faster you fly and the more collective you use the more the rotors will tilt, and if you go too fast the rotor discs will intersect, causing the ends of your rotor blades to crash into each other and snap off.

If this happens your rotor RPM will start to increase rapidly, your engine RPM will decrease, the helicopter will become impossible to control and you will start to lose altitude.

Its easy to run into this problem on that first campaign mission because the Hind flies really fast.

There are a few things you can do to avoid rotor clashing. The most important thing is to stay below the never exceed speed for your current altitude and weight. The helicopter has an alarm that will sound when you are flying too fast- if you hear a loud, high pitched beeping you must reduce your input on the collective (this will move the blades apart a bit) then pull back on the cyclic to slow down.

Secondly, try to only make gradual movements of the controls when flying at speeds above 250 km/h.

• Like 1

Check the F2 view when flying at speed and note how close the two rotor discs are on the right side of your helicopter when facing it from the back (chase your helo).

When flying at higher speeds, left turns are desirable over right hand turns as the two rotor discs are closer together at that side.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

you should know I am flying at a speed of 265.

I have to fly fast to keep up with the Hind.

I am playing the first mission of the first campaign. it's a simple follow the leader mission.

That much was obvious, but it doesn't give us any additional hint as to why you crash. How are we supposed to help you if you deny us almost all information?

Post a track.

(Or post a video. I'd prefer a track but a video would be better than nothing).

Also, when you post a track, provide at least this information:

- your DCS version

- installed mods

- probably not necessary, but good to know anyway: your controller setup.

You may have been flying too fast causing an overspeed condition. This can cause all kinds of issues and I know when I first started flying the Shark I would be minding my own business and then all of a sudden my rotors would fly apart.. Of course there is a loud horn blaring but I had no idea what it was and kept flying too fast. Slow down and when they say "never Exceed" they really mean it in aircraft!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

OK I just finished the mission. I made sure that my speed never exceeded 260.

I guess that's it ?

It's kinda hard to tell.

Remember when I asked for a track (repeatedly)?

So, how did you fare?

Basically, if you crash, you're doing it wrong. If you don't crash, you may still be doing it wrong, just not enough to get yourself killed.

Staying below 260 kph IAS, is that it? No. Plenty ways to rip your blades off at lower speeds. But it's a start.

Just be gentle with the controls. The more collective you pull and the faster you go, the more gentle you need to be. When in doubt, lower the collective before any kind of maneuver and worry about the altitude loss later, while the blades are still attached to the rotor mast. :smartass:

Post a track if you can. If not:

Did you start from cold and dark?

Does it happen when you're turning?

How long into the flight does it happen?

Do you instantly fall from the sky or kinda float down?

Can you tell if the engines fail or if you lost rotors?

You can fly faster than 260 without blade collision.