WW2 era trainer?

Stratos

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been asked to do a T6 by a few aircraft operators, I have always shunned it as we got alot of flak for doing the Hawk as a trainer and I wasnt sure how much appeal there would be for one.

I have access to 5-6 Harvards plus at least 20 pilots.

Would you guys want such a module in the future?

Same for the Tiger Moth, the amount of aircraft and pilots I have access to is insance, as well as a little time in one myself

Pman

I wouldn't have any particular interest in these modules.

What attracts me to prop airplanes is the ability to fly in a mission / historically based scenario. I love the high fidelity sim but it quickly gets boring if you just fly around without a purpose. Plus there is not really a lot of fun if you continue doing it online with friends.

I think a large part of the dedicated WW2 community share this position (but feel free to correct me). I 'd prefer any module that brings on the ability to fly on a combat scenario.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

I wouldn't have any particular interest in these modules.

What attracts me to prop airplanes is the ability to fly in a mission / historically based scenario. I love the high fidelity sim but it quickly gets boring if you just fly around without a purpose. Plus there is not really a lot of fun if you continue doing it online with friends.

I think a large part of the dedicated WW2 community share this position (but feel free to correct me). I 'd prefer any module that brings on the ability to fly on a combat scenario.

Just an example of the uselfunless of the T-6 Texan, I see you're from Greece. Royal Helenic Air Force used T-6D Texans during the Civil War of the late 40's. Armed with MG pods and rockets those planes made hundreds of sorties as recon and COIN planes. The same about Greece can be said on tons of countries around the world, countries that used the Texan both as a trainer and as combat aircraft.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Thanks for pointing it out Stratos, I wasn't aware of this fact, despite my acquaintance with T6s (my father flew them and told me a lot of stories).

Your suggestion is well received, but unfortunately I think that not many Greeks would like to recreate missions that remind them of the civil war, the echoes of which are still present in Greek society 70 years afterwards (long story).

Anyway, with my comment I did not mean that I disliked these aircraft. I just would prefer it if developer's efforts were prioritised into creating a planeset with a period map first. A bundle that would allow people to fly in challenging scenarios. Besides, you always learn your plane better if you have a task to do and if you constantly change your aim, trying to exploit its advantages.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

I make peanuts for doing the job.

Yeah, that is one of those time building jobs nobody will pay you for to do it.

I flew a WACO giving tours to build time too. Did not get a living wage either.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Yeah, that is one of those time building jobs nobody will pay you for to do it.

I flew a WACO giving tours to build time too. Did not get a living wage either.

I'm not building hours, it's keeping me ticking over after losing my Private charter job on the Learjet, puts the smile back on my face though, plus I fly Tiger Moths for someone else.

I am sorry to hear you lost your job. Go to the majors if you can, life is sooo muuuuch better....

S_P_E_E_D_B_I_R_D....

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

A Tiger Moth would be excellent, but I would be happy with any decent single engine biplane. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Harvard for me. Did the Moth in another game. It was a bit under-modelled though. A loop was a real struggle. Even after a full throttle dive.....

Yup. Harvard here (that's a Texan, in case America is confused). :)

did you have the leading edge slats unlocked? they must be locked shut for aerobatics in the real thing, if they are not then they create huge amounts of drag when they deploy and that can make all the difference trying to complete a loop.

did you have the leading edge slats unlocked? they must be locked shut for aerobatics in the real thing, if they are not then they create huge amounts of drag when they deploy and that can make all the difference trying to complete a loop.

Ohh, I bet that would create an issue. The tiger moth only has slats on the top wing so you might find yourself going from a biplane to a monoplane real quick!

Ohh, I bet that would create an issue. The tiger moth only has slats on the top wing so you might find yourself going from a biplane to a monoplane real quick!

Not really, they are surprisingly well damped, I have seen them left unlocked in aeros and it's really just a drag issue, you can still do a loop but you need to pull through quicker before you run out of energy.

if you did lose the top wing you'd end up with no wings as biplanes need both to maintain the whole structure.

It was a joke bongodriver, not a comment on the structural integrity of biplanes.

Yes you can easily do aerobatics in an LE slat equipped aircraft and you can do them at speeds a non LE slat wing cannot.

A Tiger Moth would be excellent, but I would be happy with any decent single engine biplane. :)

gloster gladiator would be a nice choice for a biplane, would go good with that I-16 mod thats being worked on. i sorta think though rise of flight has the wwi stuff covered pretty well. with a t-6 it would be fun, once pacific maps come out, to recreate some movie scenes like from tora tora tora

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

As a double seater trainer? :D

S!

lol oops im derailing the thread, but id rather have a t-6 over the tigermoth, mostly because the t-6 can do some more ground attack

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

Just because the Harvard/Texan is called trainer doesn't mean it was easy to fly. It was an advanced trainer that prepared future fighter pilots for more powerful a/c.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/251/How-Not-to-Fly-a-Harvard.aspx

Really good article, thanks for the reading mate!! Not sure if I suggest myself, but I see some of the behaviour explained there in the 109.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Really good article, thanks for the reading mate!! Not sure if I suggest myself, but I see some of the behaviour explained there in the 109.

S!

All of that is just BASIC tail dragger piloting. That is why the T-6 was such a good training aircraft. It refuses to hide your flaws.

All of that is just BASIC tail dragger piloting. That is why the T-6 was such a good training aircraft. It refuses to hide your flaws.
Not so basic IMHO. Some quirks he explains are T-6 specific features you don't necessarily find in every tail dragger. But still a good reading.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I flew the Tigermoth once in Cliffs and never touched it again. It's like choosing to drive a honda civic instead of a corvette even though you don't have to pay for gas, insurance, or maintenance.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria