Which shadow settings for cockpit shadows?

domini99

Hello.

I'm having trouble using shadows in DCS 1.5.

I want to enable cockpit shadows, because without it everything looks cartoony.

I don't really understand which settings I need to enable to use cockpit shadows, but not enable all other kind of shadows because that drains my FPS like mad.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't post detailed info, but here are my system specs in case they are useful:

- AMD Athlon X4 860k @4.0ghz

- AMD Sapphire HD6570 overclocked to 780mhz core and 1020mhz memory (2gb ddr3)

- 2*4GB Ddr3 1333mhz

- Asrock fm2a88m-HD+ motherboard

With shadows set to "flat only" (if iirc) I have around 40fps.

If I set shadows to "low" it enabled cockpit shadows and makes it look gorgeous, but the fps drop all the way to 20.

Is there anything I can do to enable cockpit shadows without draining FPS like mad, like I had in DCS 1.2?

In 1.2 I could have cockpit shadows enabled and still play above 30fps.

Thanks in advance,

Dominique

Cockpit shadows can currently not be turned off from the options menu. AFAIK they can still be turned off through an edit of a config file.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I think he meant the other way round: He wants to use the Cockpit shadows (on), but no other shadows (off; clouds, trees).

I'm also interessted how to do this.

Best regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think he meant the other way round: He wants to use the Cockpit shadows (on), but no other shadows (off; clouds, trees).

I'm also interessted how to do this.

Best regards,

Fire

Yes exactly this, like how it was in DCS 1.2.

With shadows for everything enabled my performance is very bad

• 1 month later...
Hello.

I'm having trouble using shadows in DCS 1.5.

- AMD Athlon X4 860k @4.0ghz

- AMD Sapphire HD6570 overclocked to 780mhz core and 1020mhz memory (2gb ddr3)

- 2*4GB Ddr3 1333mhz

- Asrock fm2a88m-HD+ motherboard

Your system barely meets minimum requirement for DCS 1.5:

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

That unfortunately means almost every eye candy off to avoid slide show.

Your system barely meets minimum requirement for DCS 1.5:

That unfortunately means almost every eye candy off to avoid slide show.

In the time between that comment and my current situation...

I've upgraded my PC to meet the minimum requirements, DCS runs great overall, but RAM usage won't drop when going back to menu, thus requiring me to restart my game every time I want to load a new mission or join another server.

But that still doesn't answer how I turn right on cockpit shadows without turning on everything and have my FPS cut in 4

I now run everything high, but with shadows on flat only because my HD6570 won't handle shadows for everything.

Edited by domini99

I hope you have reported your RAM issue to ED. That is the sort of issues they need to hear about during Beta testing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Do you have mirrors off? Mirrors in 1.5 is a huge detriment...far more than shadows

I'll try

I hope you have reported your RAM issue to ED. That is the sort of issues they need to hear about during Beta testing.

It's been reported like a million times already.

They can't use 5 thousand reports on the same bug.

Do you have mirrors off? Mirrors in 1.5 is a huge detriment...far more than shadows

You aren't kidding. I went from 120 to 70 on the ground when I flipped the mirror in the p51

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel