Online play and communication.

I seriously dont understand why most people fly a mission online for coop play without for example teamspeak. Its like driving a car with your eyes closed.

And its not like im gonna laugh at you because your voice sounds nerdy either.

Its easy to use and convenient, so dont be a type whore and improve your play via comms.

migtoon0xo.gif

Decent and 10 Euros sounds liek a conflict, but I get your point. Some people just get embarassed, some might not like to sound fools shouting out semi military commands in thier own little room. When people are asleep, I tend to turn sounds down, and that means I can no longer speak out "Rifle" or "Multiple ZSUs in column, East of village, 100m south smoke stack, Friendlies 5 KM north near lake, in hot, departing West". That sometimes wakes people up :) (god, I wish my graphics card would hurry up back from Gigabyte).

It makes a hell of a difference using comms, but too many people causes problems too, Its a shame its not part of the game (like in Battlefield 2). You could tune in your radios in the game to join different channels etc... would be nice.

True, but a decent mic is less then 10 euros away.

Well, there are also often problems with the setup, certain drivers messing up the settings, so your mic is no longer working and such.

I've found an easy soloution for it; Start, Control panel, Sounds and Audio devices: voice, test hardware.

Do the test hardware wizzard and your voice comms are working again! Even with Kx drivers :P

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

I seriously dont understand why most people fly a mission online for coop play without for example teamspeak. Its like driving a car with your eyes closed.

And its not like im gonna laugh at you because your voice sounds nerdy either.

Its easy to use and convenient, so dont be a type whore and improve your play via comms.

I got your point but you forgot something: language.

I understand quite well written English, but I'm sure I wouldn't understand anything of what my wingman would say.

Especially in combat missions, when you must speak quickly ...

I got your point but you forgot something: language.

I understand quite well written English, but I'm sure I wouldn't understand anything of what my wingman would say.

Especially in combat missions, when you must speak quickly ...

Well, if you will play with TS (doesn't matter what game, unless its some retarded shooter like quake/UT), you will learn english better than you may at school, just by using it. My French is for example sucky as well, I can read it, but actually speaking/understanding audio sentences is miles away, and will be unless I won't practice.

A language is not a knowing, but knowing how to use thing, and by using it you will know it.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Anyone who has managed to get Lockon to a workable state on their computer is more than qualified to sort out whatever technical difficulties may present thmselves with setting up a mic and something like Teamspeak.

Of all the hardware they have invested in to virtually fly, a humble microphone (wit headphones) is by far the cheapest and quietest.

I remember flying flight sims offline before there was any such thing as Internet and before the flight sim even talked to me and at times I thought I must have been the only person in the world, who was into them. Now we are able to fly with people from anywhere in the world, and talk in real time, and for me that is the ultimate flight.

I probably embarrass myself online everytime, I open my mouth online, but the great thing about the internet is that I am unlikely ever to meet any of you in person and so I don't worry about it. At all.

As for language barriers, yeah that could be a problem, but what a great opportunity for you to practise your english, and maybe I could learn a little French, or Spanish or even Russian :D

It has been my great pleasure in this community to chat and fly with a great many wonderful people, at least they came across that way online, and the immersion of real time comms with fellow (v) pilots has been a lot of fun, even with the language issues that we have contended with.

To all I say, don't hold back, grab a mic, get TS sorted jump online and say G'day, or whatever it is you say in your language to meet and greet your fellow pilots. You wont regret it.

Killer

Yes, one needs practice to be better.

But I (I speak for myself but i'm sure i'm not the only one) feel that I would be less useful than a noob during a mission...

I sometimes listen to live ATC (http://atcmonitor.com/) for practicing and can't repeat what i can hear ...

This looks like an easy exercise for you but I just can't understand what they say... or I understand just the end of their sentence, or the figures. But It's hard to repeat them.

well that might be a reason why people don't join TS before flying on HL servers.

I think they don't want to be there, whithout understanding the pilots on their side. They don't want not to answer a question because they didn't get it, or they don't want to make one repeat everytime he says something ...

Even without a mic- you can sign on and listen in. Get at least get some sort of improved SA. I'll admit- I miss 80% of the chat typed out. Some dude was in the other evening and said "hi" 3 or 4 times before I noticed...

:doh:

The chat colors don't help

I agree to all the points you guys make. I was on TS with only 1 Russian dude, the only English sentence he said was 'i go for smoke', and he didn't understand me at all.

People get the impression that guys speak fast on TS, that is not the case.

But lets not forget the power of communication codes like winchester, bogey, rtb, angels, eta, etc (anyone know where is a list of these commands?). Keep your sentences simple, avoid difficult words and dont tell long sad jokes to a Russian. Pointing a beginner to a cheatsheet with these comm codes (i want one as well) should be law.

I bought my hotas because its intended for hotas. Thats why i hate typing.

migtoon0xo.gif

I sometimes listen to live ATC (http://atcmonitor.com/) for practicing and can't repeat what i can hear ...

That's because ATC english is another language in and of itself. Every word has a very specific definition as well as a specific placement/order. It is extremely brief and to the point (in order to keep the channel clear). It's filled with lots of information in each sentence. Many fluent english speaking Student Pilots IRL have a hard time becomming completely comfortable on the radios - it usually takes many flights and hours of exposure to get a full grasp of it.

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

I'll be happy to fly with you Al., on TS, when you fly on 504th server, always connect to our TS. If I'll be there we can do everything by the numbers and brevity code.. and also talk about whatever that comes to our minds.. It's always cool during those long CAP or CAS flights.

I still don't get it why people don't use TS!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer