Can Anyone recommend some good books on the Mig-21?

Vivick

Hello Friends,

after having flown the Mig-21 in DCS for a while I'm really starting to like the plane and would like to learn a bit more about it:smilewink:. So I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some reading material.

I'm mainly interested in books about the development history, with a focus on the technical side of it (i.e. what challenges had the designers to overcome, and what are the peculiarities of the plane).

Something about Russian air combat doctrine during the cold war would also be great.

not sure about books but there is a fantastic "wings of the red star" documentary you can find on youtube that really dives into the tech side of things....

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Well, "Mikoyan MiG-21" by Gordon, Dexter and Komissarov (Midland Publishing) is a 700+ pages hefty book, which has more development story than You can imagine, but it's difficult and expensive to get nowadays, unless You're really into -21 or search really deep withing the abyss of the internet.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, "Mikoyan MiG-21" by Gordon, Dexter and Komissarov (Midland Publishing) is a 700+ pages hefty book, which has more development story than You can imagine, but it's difficult and expensive to get nowadays, unless You're really into -21 or search really deep withing the abyss of the internet.

+1

And yo can add:

Lock On number 21: Mig-21 MF

Walk Around Mig-21 Fishbed, part 1 and 2. By Hans Heiri Stapfer

4+ Publication Mig-21F/M, by Jaroslav Matoulek et.al.

• Like 1

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Thanks for the replies sofar guys!

I Googled this and it looks really nice, too bad it's out of print:( I found a few copies, but they all go for 300€ or more, which is a bit much for me.

I'll definitely keep an eye out on E-Bay tho.

I recommend Suomen Ilmavoimien Lentokoneet: Mig-21 in Finnish Air Force. It's a bilingual book, both in Finnish and English, mainly about training and use of Mig-21 in Finland, but touches some technical aspects of the plane as well. What makes the book interesting is that the author is an actual test pilot with about 1500 hours in different Mig-21 variants. The only problem is that the publisher went bankrupt recently, so actually getting a copy might be difficult.

other combat is not such interesting because trained not well... or tactical failure.

I will disagree here, there were lot of highly motivated and good trained pilots form other nations who successfully flown migs in combat.

Osprey is good resource for this books.

Also dont miss the http://www.acig.info thats an awesome resource for this and many more. :thumbup: