Share your comms experiences

Khamul

Hi Mates,

I was reading interesting post on comms in this thread:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=141418 don't want to discuss there and going off topic so I've posted here. My request is to provide me, please, your experiences on:

1. authentication: used or not used anymore?

2. brevity: do real pilots use them only or just when necessary?

3. comms with ATC: in a multi ships group departing from an airport, does each pilot need to communicate with ATC or the leader only is the one who speaks with ATC for his group?

Hope your experience may help me

Thanks guys :smilewink:

Edited by Khamul

TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6+, i5-6600K, 32 GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Win 10 x64, Monitor LG Ultrawide 29UM67, Soundblaster Z+Sennheiser Game One, HOTAS Warthog, TFRP Thrustmaster, TrackIr

Hi Mates,

I was reading interesting post on comms in this thread:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=141418 don't want to discuss there and going off topic so I've posted here. My request is to provide me, please, your experiences on:

3. comms with ATC: in a multi ships group departing from an airport, does each pilot need to communicate with ATC or the leader only is the one who speaks with ATC for his group?

1. Depends.

2. Yes.

3. Normally only the lead.

2. Yes.

Is that a YES to using brevity codes exclusively when in the air, or pilots use brevity just when necessary? He asked which one...yes is not an answer.

I do believe that pilots do use brevity codes exclusivly when in the air talking to other AC, ground or ATC. When BSing with the co-pilot, then nay.

Good day,

DrDetroit

I was the one that said authentication is mostly a thing of the past. What I can do is contact an active duty A10 pilot that just let one of our guys in an actual A10 sim a couple days ago. He's an instructor and set to retire next month so if anyone has the answer, he does.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Authentication is a procedure that is still taught, but is not required. Theater specific ROEs, special instructions and commands may dictate otherwise. If it is used, it is typically when radio contact with encrypted communications is not possible.

Hence the reason I said since radios have started using encryption and frequency hopping, encryption is mostly a thing of the past. Other than some short range intersquad radios, all radios use those security features. So thank you for mentioning that.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Hi Mates,

I'm not sure where this fits in...but one thing I notice is absent is the constant changing of channels as you enter, operate in and exit the area.

First ya talk to civilian ATC until you go "Tactical" not really a tactical point but you stop talking to ATC and switch to the assigned mission freq. sometimes you'll switch 2-3 times before ever getting into your operating area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm not sure where this fits in...but one thing I notice is absent is the constant changing of channels as you enter, operate in and exit the area.

First ya talk to civilian ATC until you go "Tactical" not really a tactical point but you stop talking to ATC and switch to the assigned mission freq. sometimes you'll switch 2-3 times before ever getting into your operating area.

This is absolutely doable in the SP mode if mission designers utilise the "Radio Transmission" option, where you have to be on the correct channel to hear the radio chatter. I used it in the Enemy Within campaign and it works pretty well, though I admit it could be made even more advanced (i.e. it should require the players to change the freq even more).

The only problem is that if you miss something you won't be able to ask for repetition as opposed to real life..

I think the true opportunity lies with MP missions with working TS plugin like Aries.

And as for the OP post - AFAIK during the actual engagement pilots will mosty use brevity, however during cruise to / from the AO they would talk freely over the wing frequency.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Sierra99, I may very well be misunderstanding you, but are you referring to the JTAC video? CLAW 3-1 is constantly changing frequencies, from ground to tower, tower to approach, approach to AWACS (OVERLORD), AWACS to JTAC (VIKING).

Admittingly CLAW is a singleton so you will be missing the confirmation that WM has changed frequency i.e. FL; "CLAW FLIGHT CHECK UNIFORM", with responce from WM; "2".

The training was done using Univers Radio; http://tacnoworld.fr/universradio/

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Add. info

What Hansolo said. I was constantly changing frequencies, using presets. You don't see me dialing in the video since I use keyboard shortcuts to switch between the various presets. :)

Often you see me pull up the kneeboard to glance at the frequencies for the various control stations to see the preset number. On the sides of my main screen I have additional monitors with Helios, so I can glance at the radios without moving the camera down to the lower left

Edited by EntropySG

Sierra99, I may very well be misunderstanding you, but are you referring to the JTAC video? CLAW 3-1 is constantly changing frequencies, from ground to tower, tower to approach, approach to AWACS (OVERLORD), AWACS to JTAC (VIKING).

Admittingly CLAW is a singleton so you will be missing the confirmation that WM has changed frequency i.e. FL; "CLAW FLIGHT CHECK UNIFORM", with responce from WM; "2".

The training was done using Univers Radio; http://tacnoworld.fr/universradio/

Cheers

Hans

I'm not familiar with that video but I'm thinking yes. Another example iof the kind of chatter I'm talking about s prior to entering the area we used to check in with an asset, be it a surface ship, ground station or other aircraft for a "Parrot Check". They would check to see if our transponder was displaying the proper IFF Information so we wouldn't get blasted by our own. At a given point we changed to their frequency and checked in...and they would usually reply with "Callsign, roger. Radar contact. Sweet/Sweet, contact AWACS " meaning both parts of our IFF was working. And then we'd usually switch to the first of many AWACS controllers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I was the one that said authentication is mostly a thing of the past. What I can do is contact an active duty A10 pilot that just let one of our guys in an actual A10 sim a couple days ago. He's an instructor and set to retire next month so if anyone has the answer, he does.

Thanks to came in the thread and Man... would be great to contact the A10 pilot. Your knowledge of this matter allows me to improve reality in comms for sure.

Edited by Khamul

TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6+, i5-6600K, 32 GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Win 10 x64, Monitor LG Ultrawide 29UM67, Soundblaster Z+Sennheiser Game One, HOTAS Warthog, TFRP Thrustmaster, TrackIr

Thanks Sierra99 for you comment. I think then its not far from what we are doing apart from the fact the IFF isn't implemented in DCS. Have to check whether the UniversRadio does suport this functionality though or it's WIP.

Cheers

Hans

Here is a new video with more examples on comms.

oDYm_WgpBeA

In this training we were also experimenting with Scrambling procedure. (Aircrafts on Ground-alert, waiting for tasking)

In this mission the 132nd are supported by the 5e EVC (AWACS controller + A-10C) and the 3rd Wing (KA-50 and F-15C)

0:35 SCRAMBLE request by MAGIC

2:31 CLAW 3-1 and FURY 5-1 Requesting priority taxi

5:10 CLAW 3-1 Takeoff

6:00 Flyby KA-50s

7:00 CLAW 3-1 Checkin with OVERLORD (Air to Ground AWACS) and authentication

8:42 CLAW 3-1 Establish coms with JTAC WARRIOR

9:25 CLAW 3-1 Checkin with JTAC WARRIOR

11:35 AO update from WARRIOR for CLAW

12:27 receiving coordinates for friendlies

13:20 2nd flight, FURY 5-1, checkin with WARRIOR

14:15 CAS Brief alpha for CLAW 3-1

16:20 target talk-on by WARRIOR for CLAW 3-1

18:18 CLAW 3-1 In Hot from the South

20:10 CLAW 3-1 requesting rearm refuel from OVERLORD at Lochini airbase

21:30 CLAW 3-1 checking in with Tblisi TMA controller

23:09 Handoff to Lochini Tower

24:24 Cleared Overhead-Break

26:24 Breaking for Final

29:00 Finished Rearm Refuel and request Taxi from Ground Controller

31:15 Handoff from Approach to OVERLORD

32:13 Handoff from OVERLORD to JTAC PLAYBOY

36:10 FURY 5-1 attack run under control of JTAC PLAYBOY

37:05 CLAW 3-1 cockpit Cam

39:50 CLAW 3-1 checkin with JTAC PLAYBOY

42:45 CLAW 3-1 receiving Point Echo from PLAYBOY

43:30 CLAW 3-1 receiving AO Update from PLAYBOY

45:10 CLAW 3-1 receiving CAS Brief from PLAYBOY

49:10 CLAW 3-1 tipping in, Attack with Rockets

52:10 CLAW 3-1 tipping in, Reattack with Guns

54:20 CLAW 3-1 checkout from PLAYBOY

55:40 CLAW 3-1 checkin with OVERLORD

58:00 OVERLORD handoff CLAW 3-1 to JTAC WARRIOR

1:02:35 FURY 5-1 receiving Traffic Update from WARRIOR

1:06:30 WARRIOR marking target for CLAW3-1 by Laser

1:08:00 WARRIOR marking target for FURY 5-1 by Laser

1:10:55 WARRIOR requesting Time on Target Attack by three flights

1:13:30 Setting up for ToT Attack

1:14:00 TACVIEW CLAW 3-1 and FURY 5-1 synchronized attack

1:15:05 CLAW 3-1 rejoining with Fury 5-1 for 2-ship RTB

1:16:00 Fury 5-1 contacting Lochini Tower

1:17:10 Overhead Break

1:21:00 Rollout and Blade Flight (KA-50s) coming home

1:24:20 CAP flight (EAGLE 2-1 and 2-2) coming home

• Like 1

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

Thanks Sierra99 for you comment. I think then its not far from what we are doing apart from the fact the IFF isn't implemented in DCS. Have to check whether the UniversRadio does suport this functionality though or it's WIP.

Cheers

Hans

Hans,

At one point while doing a little probing I was told that while the IFF isn't operable...the setting of the switches and dials on the panel are a value that can be read. Not sure if this helps. I was trying to figure out a way to include at least setting the "modes and codes".

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server