Adding more RAM

Hi all.

I have thought to add more RAM to my computer with additional 16GB.

Currently I have 8gb (2x4) of this model: http://www.amazon.es...4BVGAHW1K9BGFD6

And I have thought about purchasing this pack: http://www.amazon.es...9317945&sr=1-10

As you see, both are in theory two versions of memory with the same features, although one of them said to the other CL9 and CL10.

My question is, could acquire the 16GB and take advantage of the current 8gb to mount 24gb ?, or is better to forgot the actual 8gb and add only the new 16gb pack.

It would be logical once purchased, try and act accordingly, but if you say they can give me problems, could buy some modules that were somewhat better but different, regardless of compatibility.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 16GB 4x4GB CL9 Asus GTX 970 Strix 4GB GDDR5

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NOX Coolbay SX Devil USB 3.0

Assuming you're not looking to overclock the ram you should be right to add together. Worth a try anyway. once they fix the memory problems I'm not sure more than 8gb will make any difference though as when I don't get the memory "leak" my ram usage maximum is just over 7gb.

Edited by Rangi
auto correct

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Thanks Rangi, i'll try with the first one.

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I bought more RAM just last week to get a total of 24gb. I have to say, unfortunately there was no noticeable difference within DCS 2.0. However, there seems to be a memory issue right now so hopefully the beta build will fix the memory issue and increase fps. I still recommend increasing your RAM. I don't believe in overkill when it come to computers.:)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I personally think 8gb is "sufficient", especially when they fix the memory leak, but not a lot of headroom.

16gb I think gives a nice comfortable safety margin.

Undoubtedly as DCS continue to evolve, with new maps, etc, at some point more will be needed. No telling how long that might be though.

I think if one has more than 16 gb, they are probably set good for quite some time.

I am certainly not planning to add any more to my 16gb anytime in the near future, will probably wait till I do another pc build, likely a year or two away.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Finally i will add 8Gb (2x4GB) to my computer. I hope it will be enought to run DCS 2.0 when reach release version. I think with my graphic card and my CPU, add 8Gb will be the best price/efficiency rate at this moment.

Thanks again!!!

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Does anyone know if having quad-channel RAM (4x4GB) is any faster than 2x8GB? You would think it would be. Personally I originally just had 2x4GB but over time added two additional sticks. Only problem with it is that if I ever want to exceed 16GB then I have to remove one, which is a bit wasteful.

EDIT: Looks like even with 4 sticks it's still dual channel on Z87 boards ;)

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

The more RAM your system has the better your SSD performs and the longer it lasts and 8GB is the minimum you should have to not wear out your cells quickly.

This has been tested and stated many times in several magazines/forums over the past two years.

Your WinVista/7/8/10 also runs alot better with 16GB than 8GB or even less, it just depends how closely you watch and if you have systems to compare so you can spot the difference, I have several systems and manage dozens...and I can see a clear difference with multiple tabs, iTunes/MediaPlayer, etc etc.. all open same time. With 8GB it works...sure but do the same thing and watch the RA usage...the HDD/SSD usage, pagefile usage....there you will see a HUGE difference in OS behaviour.

* I am currently waiting on a SQL job to clean a database....12GB RAM...going on for 3 days now... dont think it ever will...poor SBS 2008 Server...if it had 32GB it would do it maybe in 2-6h,,,with 8GB it will never get it done...NEVER. RAM is more than crucial

I have not only run once into " not enough memory.." warnings by only installing Windows updates and svchost.exe just exploding through the roof on new Dell systems, plain standard config systems run through MS updates and FAIL with 8GB...I have had this many times with 2-6GB and a few times even with 8GB systems.

RAM is like cubic inches in your car engine, it is very hard to impossible to substitute.

As a sysadmin I can only advise you to buy as much RAM as your wallet allows ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

BitMaster,

Totally respect your advice and very grateful to you for sharing your experience. I'm all for future-proofing but, if I may, just one question in relation to your closing comment. Surely, this additional expense can provide little to no real benefit if the application/program you're using is actually calling for significantly less than you have invested in?

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

RAM is like cubic inches in your car engine, it is very hard to impossible to substitute.

As a sysadmin I can only advise you to buy as much RAM as your wallet allows wink.gif

:D

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

BitMaster,

Totally respect your advice and very grateful to you for sharing your experience. I'm all for future-proofing but, if I may, just one question in relation to your closing comment. Surely, this additional expense can provide little to no real benefit if the application/program you're using is actually calling for significantly less than you have invested in?

Honestly never ask a database/software engineer how much RAM you should get, we will generally recommend 2x to 4x more than what the average gamer really needs. :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Back when Edge was released to Open Beta, I was debating the same thing, but I have 16gb of ram. I was considering upgrading to 32gb. Folks were suggesting I would be fine, so I held off.

After flying 1.5 and 2.0 for a while, I am pretty well convinced I am in good shape on ram for a while with my 16gb.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm a little confused here. I'm running the GTX 660 Ti card. It seems to have only 2 G of RAM. It runs DCS fine. I have no issues with it.

But my confusion lie in RAM memory altogether. So if my card only runs 2 Gigs, but my system is running 16 gigs (and it is), it doesn't matter. My card can only handle 2 gigs. Isn't that the limitation? If my card can only run that fast, it doesn't matter how fast my system runs unless it is slower than my card? At least that was always my understanding of it anyway.

But my confusion lie in RAM memory altogether. So if my card only runs 2 Gigs, but my system is running 16 gigs (and it is), it doesn't matter. My card can only handle 2 gigs. Isn't that the limitation?

This is only my perception on how this works, and may or may not be accurate.

I believe when it comes to processing the graphics, how it works in order of preference"

1: Video card ram - then if needed

2: System Ram - then if needed

3: Page File - then if needed

4: Disc Drive

So the closest and best for performance, is video ram, followed by system ram, etc.

At least I think that is kind of how it works, am sure others more technical than I can elaborate better on this.

Don B

Don't confuse RAM size with RAM speed. However when talking about applications that use up a lot of memory, and feature a lot of memory swap, then size is indeed more important than actual speed.

There are many bottlenecks in systems but a lot of these can be circumvented by good software engineers. However when speaking about RAM (system RAM not VRAM) it's always generally a good idea to stick to recommended specs, since the worst slowdowns will appear when devices like your GPU or CPU have to wait for assets to get swapped in and out of system memory.

To answer the OP's question yes in DCS (and other memory intensive applications) an upgrade in RAM is indeed very desirable. Don't expect a boost in your MAX FPS that will NOT happen, however you should see less slowdowns and stuttering.

P.S.

It is always a good idea to keep identical memory sticks in your machine. To make the best use of DDR2 and DDR3 (the most common types of dual channel memory sticks) you will need to have identical memory sticks working side by side. Having 2x4GB and 2x8GB memory sticks in your machine might not even work on your motherboard, or it might work but very inefficiently not even utilizing the dual channels. Before upgrading check your motherboard manual to see what kind of stick setups it supports!

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.