F-15C - How to apply brakes without going off the runway?

DerekSpeare

Hi All,

I cannot seem to get this plane to come to a complete stop after landing. I apply the wheel brakes and it begins to weave down the runway and eventually runs off into the weeds and then I die.

I have a button bound to "Wheel Brakes On" and I press and hold it or cycle it. I also tried binding buttons to both the left and right brakes but get the same thing. Is there something I can do?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Make sure your flaps are down and air brake up...I aero-brake it nose high until it drops below 100....then drop the nose...use wheel brakes just a little at first...on and off a couple times...then pull back on the stick (to use the tailerons as air brakes) and use the wheel brakes a bit more.

I had the same problem...its just practice

As soon as you start veering off the runway, let off the brakes and get control of your steering. Realign, and then apply brakes again.

I agree with SCPGrinder66 regarding the airbrakes. However, personally I raise my flaps and don't nose up. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, just that my personal preference when landing is to minimize lift so that more weight is on the wheels, increasing traction and therefore braking performance for the wheel brakes. Real pilots do use SCPGrinder66's suggestion ("aero braking") to save maintenance and wear on the wheel brakes and you can see plenty of examples of it here:

[ame]

[/ame]

And here is a forum thread in civil aviation discussing aero braking passenger jets. The officials seem to discourage it http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/aero-braking-vs.116252/

Thanks, Gents - looks like I need to fine tune my skills :joystick:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

There is a key to disable F-15 NWS, it might make it less squirrely at high speed. I find that the plane will be a little unstable no matter what you do in the latest update, so you need to be on the rudder to land properly.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

AFAIK disabling NWS will cause your nose wheel to flip around and break at higher speeds (>25kts). :(

Don't hold the brake key down, if you're using a key (and not an axis) to brake I would hit right control enter so you can see the toe brake movement (the brake button slowly rises to 100% and holds it), try tapping or cycling the brake instead of holding it.

Anyway, I've heard that recommended way of landing is to approach the runway at a 3 degree glideslope/20 AOA. Flare just past the threshold to 13 degrees nose up and hold that attitude after touchdown til about 100kts IAS, then gently lower the nosewheel onto the runway.

Lord of Salt

land at groom lake in NTTR no brakes no aerobraking needed. you might even need power to make it to the other end.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

I did a few touch and goes at Kutaisi following the advice given here. I think all I need to know the the final approach speed (~170kts maybe?). It appears that Aero Braking is the "secret" :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

To my knowledge speed is an output and not an input in this case. Think glide slope and AOA and you'll go far!

Well, you won't go farther than the runway, but... :D

Two good observations :doh: :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Sweeper is spot on. Glide slope and AOA are the name of the game regardless of weight as far I know. The heavier the bird the more finesse, the lighter the bird the more forgiving.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

There's a chute function in the key bindings, but it doesn't do anything. The F15 doesn't use a braking chute TTBOMK. What's it for in DCS?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

When I land on the second runway of Creech AFB on the NTTR map (1.3km long) I can sometimes make it to stop the plane before the runway ends..

All what i do is flying with 190-175 kts and land almost vertical put out the flaps and when I landed i put the airbrake out and full wheel brakes while I have the nose pitched a little bit up for 3-4 seconds.

That's how i do it when i have a really short runway... now I have to learn how to land the plane without the wheel brakes

When I land on the second runway of Creech AFB on the NTTR map (1.3km long) I can sometimes make it to stop the plane before the runway ends..

All what i do is flying with 190-175 kts and land almost vertical put out the flaps and when I landed i put the airbrake out and full wheel brakes while I have the nose pitched a little bit up for 3-4 seconds.

That's how i do it when i have a really short runway... now I have to learn how to land the plane without the wheel brakes

Landing that way should likely cause damage that isn't currently modeled.

Speaking of weight, I don't remember the F-15 landing weight, but you shouldn't be touching down on full internal tanks, especially if you're bringing back weapons. I land around 150 indicated, and try to get fuel below 50% at the very least.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

F15c should not be landed full internals and weapons. How ever it CAN be done but requires more speed to reduce sink rate. The heavier you are, the less sink rate the gear [not in game in real life] can handle the faster your approach speed is and also the longer the stopping distance required. Unless in absolute dire circumstances the F15c has a nifty way to reduce weight by DUMPING fuel. Two ways to be exact. AfterBurner and fuel dump and or combined is a GREAT way to do this. Set your fuel bug to 3500lbs and activate fuel dump and AB and once you hit bingo fuel the dump is automaticly stoped.

By the way, someone mentioned doing AeroBraking for 3-5 seconds. This is NOT the correct way to do that.. Aerobraking is useful from touchdown speed to 100kts how ever long this takes. once you've slowed to 100kts drop the nose and start applying brakes. Only time you would want to drop the nose sooner is if you have to apply full brakes so as not to jack hammer the nose gear into the ground.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Practice at Area 51. I've never seen a runway that long before!

TBH, I wouldn't recommend doing that, while you have room to screw up your final, wouldn't it be better to practice somewhere you can do proper pattern work in?

Or maybe I just don't like flying 3 miles down the runway for an overhead.

:P

Lord of Salt

TBH, I wouldn't recommend doing that, while you have room to screw up your final, wouldn't it be better to practice somewhere you can do proper pattern work in?

Or maybe I just don't like flying 3 miles down the runway for an overhead.

:P

I think it's good to learn the aero braking

This discussion has been VERY helpful! Thank you, Gents...Aero braking is a cinch with a bit of practice and precisely what's needed to finesse this bird to a stop.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Hi All,

I cannot seem to get this plane to come to a complete stop after landing. I apply the wheel brakes and it begins to weave down the runway and eventually runs off into the weeds and then I die.

I have a button bound to "Wheel Brakes On" and I press and hold it or cycle it. I also tried binding buttons to both the left and right brakes but get the same thing. Is there something I can do?

I have come to the conclusion that the simulation is deficient in it's modelling of rudder sensitivity and damping in the landing roll above 50 knots. It is quite unrealistic in that regard.

No amount of tweaking of the axis curves can fix it.

I think it needs changes to the flight model which are beyond the user's reach.

See this topic.....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151735