How to find the Tanker ??

simo1000rr

I was playing the Nevada map online on the 104th server so as most of you probably knows that 104th server doesn’t enable the view of any allies aircraft on the map so you have to depend on bearings and information given on the briefing page to intercept whatever you looking for, In the briefing the 104th state that there are 2 tankers present on the map for the blue force and they gave their TACAN frequency . In my case I was flying the F15 i wanted to rejoin the tanker ( Texaco ) so I called the tanker and they told me to proceed to pre contact at 20000 , But they don’t give direction and there are no AWACS to call to give me the BRA for the Tanker Ofcourse I know from the briefing that the tanker is flying around Midea lake and I can see the tanker on my Radar so I know how to rejoin using this method . But I wanted to try locating the tanker by the given TACAN so when I switch the Navigation to Tac 1 which is given for the Texaco ( by pressing Lctrl + R for the F-15) the HIS or the bearing indicator never change to the direction of the Tanker for example it keeps showing the bearing of the NAV point that it was previously showing before I switch to Tac 1 , My question however is that how it suppose to be or should the bearing switch to the tanker location ??

Edited by simo1000rr

I was playing the Nevada map online on the 104th server so as most of you probably knows that 104th server doesn’t enable the view of any allies aircraft on the map so you have to depend on bearings and information given on the briefing page to intercept whatever you looking for, In the briefing the 104th state that there are 2 tankers present on the map for the blue force and they gave their TACAN frequency . In my case I was flying the F15 i wanted to rejoin the tanker ( Texaco ) so I called the tanker and they told me to proceed to pre contact at 20000 , But they don’t give direction and there are no AWACS to call to give me the BRA for the Tanker Ofcourse I know from the briefing that the tanker is flying around Midea lake and I can see the tanker on my Radar so I know how to rejoin using this method . But I wanted to try locating the tanker by the given TACAN so when I switch the Navigation to Tac 1 which is given for the Texaco ( by pressing Lctrl + R for the F-15) the HIS or the bearing indicator never change to the direction of the Tanker for example it keeps showing the bearing of the NAV point that it was previously showing before I switch to Tac 1 , My question however is that how it suppose to be or should the bearing switch to the tanker location ??

lctrl +r is open the boom for areal refueling in the F15

SFMBE

Yes i know that it opens the Boom but also it turns on a switch to the left of the HSI that Called TACAN and the HUD will say Tac 1 instead of NAV #

i didnt know that. i dont know much about the F15c and tcan. im a lazy person i just use the RADAR to find the tanker.

SFMBE

i didnt know that. i dont know much about the F15c and tcan. im a lazy person i just use the RADAR to find the tanker.

Its very easy for me to find and rejoin the tanker using the Radar but lets say they didn't tell you in the briefing that it flys around the lake area so how would you locate the Tanker . here is a pic of the switch im talking about go in the game and press ( Lctrl+r ) you will see this switch rotate to TCN

view2.jpg.246deaa010519dd018d88289f2a108a1.jpg

you need to be in Nav mode on the HUD. press 1 key.

In there if Tcan is selected should give you a steering cross on the hud. Follow that.

Or so that's how I understand it. I haven't tried finding a tanker in a very long time so when I get home from work tonight I will give it a try and see what I come up with.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

you need to be in Nav mode on the HUD. press 1 key.

In there if Tcan is selected should give you a steering cross on the hud. Follow that.

Or so that's how I understand it. I haven't tried finding a tanker in a very long time so when I get home from work tonight I will give it a try and see what I come up with.

When you are in the NAV mode in the F15 and you press 1 it takes you to ILS MODE which is landing mode .

I just want to know what is the purpose of the Tac 1 that shows on the HUD when you press ( Lctrl+R ) to air refuel from texaco which is happened to be also TACAN 1

Edited by simo1000rr

When you are in the NAV mode in the F15 and you press 1 it takes you to ILS MODE which is landing mode .

I just want to know what is the purpose of the Tac 1 that shows on the HUD when you press ( Lctrl+R ) to air refuel from texaco which is happened to be also TACAN 1

I'm sorry need to re-itterate what I meant.

You need to be in "NAV" mode not weapons mode in the hud.. When you open the Fuel port, it will switch from either waypoint or ILS to tcan. at that point it should have a steering cross that you will follow to arrive at the tanker.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

I've had limited success trying to rely on that TACAN mode to guide to the tanker, though I haven't tried in a really long time. The fact that it is tied to the refuel hatch can be a problem though as it stops fuel from flowing into the feed tanks while its open. At particularly long distances from the tanker, if relying on TACAN solely, you can bleed the feed tank dry resulting in engine shutdown. Its probably best to use it to point yourself in the right direction and then use the radar. Depending on aspect you can find the tanker on radar from really far away. It will likely be the farthest thing to show up ever.

Just ran testing TCAN is BUGGED!

It will give you correct distance to tanker but WILL NOT give you directions to tanker. The steering cross will give you a course to follow if you are directly behind the tanker and it is flying away from you. [btw to make it switch fully to tcan once you're in tcan mode press 1 for nav mode again and the hsi will alter to a course for tcan]

So, If the tanker is heading 270. and is 30miles north of you. the steering cross will steer you to course 270 which will put you parallel of the tanker and still always 30nm away.

Say the tanker is heading 270 and you're directly infront of the tanker and need to head 90* to close into the tanker. Nope tcan will make you turn 180* to *270.

So currently if you want to use tcan you have to be 100% on the same course and directly behind the tanker for tcan to guide you straight in!

tcan.thumb.jpg.d882a3c04bdb397f308c3693666fbca2.jpg

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Just saw this.. so air tacan only gives you distance that is normal and actually realistic. Hope that helps!

I disagree. Even in receive only mode you should get bearing but not range.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In current state you find the tanker like this:

1. Radio call the tanker - "intent to refuel". The only info you get is the altitude.

2. Lctrl + R - open the refueling intake. You get A2A Tacan mode which only gives you distance on the HUD's lower right. Simply turn until you get the best closure rate and fly in the general direction.

3. Use the radar to intercept - tanker should be visible from around 80nm. NCTR around 30nm afair.

4. If you have Awacs available you can ask for "vector to tanker" but it's a Bullseye call and we have no instrument check for BE, so unless you have a waypoint at BE to make calculations for yourself, it's mostly useless.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

BE calls are your best friend even without a waypoint. Open the F10 map, draw the line from BE to the point, then draw from the point to your AC.

If one uses F10 map he finds the tanker right there :)