X52 pro...is it "that" bad today???

Regarding wheel brakes, I see nothing in the A-10C Axis control page that suggests they are progressive but I may be wrong there. With speed brakes or zoom I think my attached illustration shows it's either one way or the other with nothing in between.

You need to look in the specific "Axis" section.

I have individual progressive wheel brakes set to my Saitek pedal brakes for the A-10C and any other module that offers it (P-51, 109, 190 etc.).

A-10C%20axis%20controls%20small.png?dl=1

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

If I make the same with x52 pro as I did with my T Flight X it wont work the same way??, I mean just use one button for trim up and other button for trim down and as I keep them pressed I get more trimming???

Yes, that's exactly how to set it up and the best one can expect.

Ok then...sounds good, but "the best one can expect" is not very heartwarming :D...

really there is NO WAY to expect the x52 pro slider/rotaries to make it right when using them as what they are supposed to be made for????no way???

Take a look at my MODS here

About progressive controls, I have read your link (HiJack) to "Better trim with the X52 Pro" and If I undertood well, it looks like its not possible to push a button and let it pushed for as long as you want the action to be continued?¿?¿?:huh::huh::huh::huh:...I mean, with my T Flight X, I have the elevator trim set this way:

"button 10" = elev trim UP

"button 11" = elev trim DOWN

Will work in ~the same way in X-52 (or any other joy buttons), this "move until pressed" behavior is programmed in game and is not stick dependent, work include using keyboards keys.

But be "progressive" the guy mean control that can be mapped in AXIS, are some, but trim for example don't result well, because to proper trim is need a multi-turn axis and not a typical ~60 degrees movement stick "rotaries".

Is common in "flight games" forums people crying because this or that plane don't allow set trim on their HOTAS rotaries (e.g. Bf 109), but none of the COTS HOTAS have proper rotaries for trim.

To do this (trim) right get some Saitek Trim Wheel - and be warned that not all "flight games" will allow set trim on this device. :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

About progressive controls, I have read your link (HiJack) to "Better trim with the X52 Pro" and If I undertood well, it looks like its not possible to push a button and let it pushed for as long as you want the action to be continued...

You did not understand the guide and you will not understand it before flying the A-10C and try to manually trim the aircraft. All the X52 Pro buttons, wheels and sliders work the same way as on any other joystick. :thumbup:

In my experience, the X-52 Pro has served well. The only problem with mine after all these years is that the twisty stick rudder axis has a dirty pot that is noisy as hell. This happened after I retired the stick when I got a Warthog for the throttle and made my own B-8/F-4 stick. The next time I went to use it for my son who was playing mech warrior, it had gotten dirty from lack of use (corrosion?). I am too lazy to take it apart and try to clean it, but if I exercise it a bit while it is powered up, it improves enough for my son's purpose. I never used the twisty stick myself because I had gotten rudder pedals at the same time I bought the X-52 Pro.

I also had the X-36 USB and X-45. I preferred the rudder rocker on the throttle of both of those sticks to the twisty sticks when I didn't have rudder pedals. I cut up the X-45 for one of my early F-4/B-8 stick conversions, but it was fully functional when I did so. I still have the X-36 (from late 2000!) and it is fully functional. So, maybe I was lucky, but all of my Saitek sticks worked fairly well for quite some time. The drivers/configuration software was always the weakness. I used the configuration function quite a bit, so I needed install that ever changing, buggy mess. But once I had a fairly stable version for each version of Windows from 98SE to XP to Win7, I ran the same configs for years at a time with few if any issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok then...sounds good, but "the best one can expect" is not very heartwarming :D...

really there is NO WAY to expect the x52 pro slider/rotaries to make it right when using them as what they are supposed to be made for????no way???

You can get them to work, you just need to know their limitations.

For trim, target range, wingspan etc they are fine, and work fine, for brakes as well. Just a little jittery, but it doesn't matter there.

Only place I could not use them at all was for zoom:

Here the jittering made the view shake all the time, at least at some positions.

For setup you go into the controls axis menu as I showed earlier, there you can set them up to what you want.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Maybe this will sound better, you are getting an incredibly good value for your money with an X-52 or X-52 pro. You get a high resolution hall effect sensor on the joystick. Dozens of buttons and switches, Several rotary pots, a slider or two, dozens of LEDS, an LCD display and a programmable chip to drive it all, along with whatever support electronics are needed. All for $130. There is no way that MadCatz is walking off with your money to make a boat payment with how much they cram into those sticks.

Compare this with the CH ProPedals. For $120, you get 3 100Kohm potentiometers, a 10 bit DAC and demuxer, pumping out 256 points of resolution on each axis, and a USB chip to make it talk to your computer. Not counting the plastic and springs, you're getting $10, maybe $20 worth of electronics, all of which have not been improved upon since the 90s.

Practice makes perfect.

I agree with Socket7.

For the price, it is some of the best joystick/HOTAS you can get.

If you set everything up in DCS, everything just works, button, axis, rotaries, slider etc.

When we describe its shortcomings, it's easy to forget that it also functions fine on lot of things. :)

System specs:

Ok, I see, but about the price, well, here in Europe is not even close to those 130$ you claimed...its almost 200 Euros which is A LOT for something that can break in a few weeks (literally) and so I think it should "at least" work well, even if it can break soon...

But, yes, the thing is there is not other option better...I wish it could be as reliable as my trusted HOTAS T Flight X, which has NEVER EVER gave me a single problem in 7 years...

Take a look at my MODS here

Reliability is relative. I've had to RMA my warthog throttle twice, first for a bad coolie hat (TM sent me 2 switches to install myself but they didn't help), and then the one TM sent back to me had a flaky throttle that I could not calibrate out. If I hadn't asked TM to pay for shipping costs it would have gotten quite expensive (TM happily obliged BTW, so ask for them to pay if you RMA). In my eyes, paying more money is not going to get you a lower failure rate. You're paying for fit and finish, extra features, and precision/accuracy.

So the X52's programming app doesn't work very well. Neither does TARGET for the Warthog. For the most part everyone avoids using them anyway. So what if you can't give it to a 5 year old to beat on? just be an adult and treat it gently, you won't snap anything in half.

The X52, for all it faults, offers a feature set that the mass consumer wants for the lowest price possible. You even get a rudder in it.

If you move up to a Warthog, you're going to need a set of rudder pedals, and you're not going to like what you find there. They cost a lot of money for the cost of what is inside of them, unless you get into hand made stuff like the MFG Crosswinds.

I do sympathize with you waterman, there is no philosophical reason for any joystick software to have problems, unfortunately it's just the way things are these days. At least all the problems can be worked around without any real problems.

Practice makes perfect.

Thanks for all your comments here guys, really apreciate it!!...

One last question before to pull the trigger...at the same price, what would you buy today, x52 pro or x55 rhino????

For me, I'd get an x52 Pro. The dual stage trigger is something I simply could not live without playing some games like BMS, and the x55 has had many critics point out its flat out bonkers and uncomfortable HAT setup. The x55 has a better throttle, but the stick is the important part, and the x52 in my opinion is more comfortable. That said, I'm told the x55 is more accurate.

X55

I've had it for 2 years or so. I fly A-10C and BMS with no problems and I know people keep bringing up the dual stage trigger but for the life of me, I can't see why its a big deal. There's more than enough buttons to put a Pac2 into play. I also don't get the uncomfortable thing. I've had CH in the past, I've had TM Cougars and never thought either of them was more or less comfortable, they seem the same to me. I don't think I have big hands, and I'm not tall.

Either way, I think you'll be fine.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Don't fall in the trap and buy the X52 regular version. The Pro version is way better.

Could you tell us what is better with the Pro?

As I understand it, the innards are more or less the same, the difference is the display, different spring on the stick and then a slightly different outside design?

I only had the regular x52, never tried the Pro.

System specs:

If nothing else, the Pro looks much better IMHO :)

I've had my X52 Pro for a few years, didn't have any problems except with the mouse axis and unstable rotaries from the get go. I wish it had the rudder rocker paddle like the X36 before it rather than this stick twist crap which is next to useless.

I'm mostly using an X65 now which I bought used. The stick is a bit tall like on the X55, but at least the rotaries function reliably unlike those on the X52 Pro. The mouse axis is also much better, although they also added a button to it which is almost impossible to press without moving the axis.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Could you tell us what is better with the Pro?

As I understand it, the innards are more or less the same, the difference is the display, different spring on the stick and then a slightly different outside design?

I only had the regular x52, never tried the Pro.

I have both stick and have used both over some length of time. My first X52 Pro stick lasted for over 3 years before POV1 (target designator/Scan zones) started to fail, and I played a lot! :pilotfly::joystick:

X52 Pro advantages:

Dual spring system on stick. This is the main reason to get the Pro!

The stick axes is much more precise.

Pro has more metal parts that lasts way longer.

Much better buttons.

Buttons can be set to different colors.

Pro is cool in black.

The overall quality of the X52 Pro stick is in my mind way better and it will last much longer if treated right.

The X55 may be same quality but misses some of the buttons I have learned to love on the X52 Pro.

I have both stick and have used both over some length of time. My first X52 Pro stick lasted for over 3 years before POV1 (target designator/Scan zones) started to fail, and I played a lot! :pilotfly::joystick:

X52 Pro advantages:

Dual spring system on stick. This is the main reason to get the Pro!

The stick axes is much more precise.

Pro has more metal parts that lasts way longer.

Much better buttons.

Buttons can be set to different colors.

Pro is cool in black.

The overall quality of the X52 Pro stick is in my mind way better and it will last much longer if treated right.

The X55 may be same quality but misses some of the buttons I have learned to love on the X52 Pro.

Ok, thank you very much. :)

Maybe I should have gotten the Pro back then, but there wasn't enough money.

And when there was, I went with the Warthog. ;)

If nothing else, the Pro looks much better IMHO :)

I've had my X52 Pro for a few years, didn't have any problems except with the unstable rotaries from the get go. I wish it had the rudder rocker paddle like the X36 before it rather than this stick twist crap which is next to useless.

Ohh, me too!

That's the thing I really missed from the x36, plus that the x36 felt more "pro" than at least the regular x52.

I really wish they would go back to the rudder rocker, it was much more useful than the twist. More accurate in use.

System specs:

Recently I had to take a similar decision as my Saitek stick broke mechanically.

What I could suggest is to not look only on the specification of the hardware but also consider how much you're going to use it. If you're a sim enthusiast that is going to spend a lot of time flying I suggest to invest in Thrustmaster Warthog.

I can’t emphasize enough how much big is the gap in build quality of Warthog and plastic Saitek products. It’s really seldom this days to see manufactures making such a quality products clearly designed to last. It’s almost like an old W123 Mercedes manufactured to make at least 1M km. It may be more expensive on purchase but in long time perspective it’s actually more economic option as only “rich” can afford to spend money on buying the same more than once. Additionally in my view all of the Saitek sticks share the same design flaw which is the stabilization spring. It introduces a strange, non-linear movement at the beginning whcih results in a feeling that could be described as having to “break” the stick from initial position before it starts to move smoothly. This makes any precision maneuvers really difficult.

IMO:

- X52/X52 Pro: not a good option as it lacks double throttles

- X55 Rhino: looks interesting but price range (in EU) it is close to Thrustmater Warthog.

- Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS: superior build quality, less buttons than X55, requires a separage rudder pedals (if its a minus)

Otherwise if you "play" sim "games" really seldom I would consider a Saitek Cyborg Fly 5 which has enough buttons to successfully fly DCS FC3/free SU-25T planes plus it has a double throttles.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I've had my X-52 Pro for over a year and I love it.

My only disappointment is that new out-of-the-box, my unit's throttle MFD brightness is unstable (it alternately brightens and dims on its own). After much tweeking and debugging I contacted the manufacturer requesting a replacement X-52 Pro (I purchased it through NewEgg), but they told me that I had to send my existing one back first to see if it could be repaired. They even wanted me to pay for shipping, but I managed to talk them into their paying for shipping at least. I wasn't happy about the support offered, but in the end I never sent the X-52 Pro back for repair, rather as it appeared to be working in all other respects I simply covered most of the MFD with electrical tape leaving only a window to display the currently loaded profile.

The Mad Catz profile editor takes a little getting used to, but once you master it you have a very versatile HOTAS system.

Edited by Diplocaulus

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5