Warhead mod

Hi fellow simers!

I made an modification to the current bomb impact values, as I think that they are rather underwhelming. I did a lot of google for bomb affect radius and tried to adjust the DCS values to more realistic ones. Of course it's not really possible to give perfect results for all situations.

This mod/thread should be more of a starting point to get good values for the various warheads and put them all together.

I'm aware that the impact for unarmored or light armored vehicles/troops is a bit high, but I couldn't yet figure out how to improve the situation for such targets.

OVGME repo

http://dcs.oldsch00l.com/mods.xml

OVGME file

http://dcs.oldsch00l.com/warhead_mod.zip

Test setups

Nevada bombtest: bombtest.miz mission

Caucasus bombtest: bombtest_caucasus.miz mission

Here are some comparisons between default and my mod.

Test setup:

I have 3 formation groups(as in the following image) Urals, T72B and infantry:

The farthest distance from the central point in a straight line is 130ft(40m) and diagonal 185ft(56m).

attachment.php?attachmentid=133890&stc=1&d=1454238116

I tried to put 1 GBU-38 in the center of each group, of course there is a certain impact inaccuracy.

Default Ural:

attachment.php?attachmentid=133891&stc=1&d=1454238509

Modded Ural:

attachment.php?attachmentid=133894&stc=1&d=1454238544

-----------------------------

Default T72

attachment.php?attachmentid=133892&stc=1&d=1454238917

Modded T72

attachment.php?attachmentid=133895&stc=1&d=1454238917

----------------------------

Default Infantry

attachment.php?attachmentid=133893&stc=1&d=1454238917

Modded Infantry :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=133896&stc=1&d=1454238917

Cheers

test_overview.thumb.jpg.104f6a65494a494ef22eb1b312f12f44.jpg

default_ural.thumb.jpg.9f2cd306e590f3a91acf24c58c5434bb.jpg

default_t72.thumb.jpg.c1e6f09abce4de6672390b0e59352ada.jpg

default_infantry.thumb.jpg.e56a177859a9f9f0897fc646bb6ee20f.jpg

mod_ural.thumb.jpg.52c6568fc9d16dc4121cef937f9c4f87.jpg

mod_t72.thumb.jpg.22685899460d6b69a6dd7820fa828a72.jpg

mod_infantry.thumb.jpg.77e38881fa595212c0ed6cce2df09580.jpg

Edited by Erpe
mod update
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this improve lethality of rockets? they need it even more than bombs do. at least near misses kind of kill infantry with 500 pd bombs, HE rockets are totally hopeless, often failing to kill trucks with very near misses.

does this improve lethality of rockets? they need it even more than bombs do. at least near misses kind of kill infantry with 500 pd bombs, HE rockets are totally hopeless, often failing to kill trucks with very near misses.

I'll have a look, and would even look at increasing the Russian weaponry. Watching the devastation FAB-500's do in Syria, comparatively in the game it's like dropping a fart rather than a bomb :p.

YES please make it both sides of fence weapons improvements for terminal effects. As said above all rockets especially the HE variant should kill light skinned vehicles and infantry much more effectively than it currently does. But this is just a band aid until hopefully the damage model system is revamped for all vehicles.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Great mod! Will be in my list of 'must have mods'.

What we need now are higher columns of smoke. Has anybody already found out how to tweak them?

Try this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2642872&postcount=11 :thumbup:

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

Great! Thanks a lot!

Is it only one lua file. For fire and smoke?

I think so: in the same post Kuki says he has also modified Fire visibility.

From the same author there is also a nice mod for vehicle dust:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158404

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

YES please make it both sides of fence weapons improvements for terminal effects. As said above all rockets especially the HE variant should kill light skinned vehicles and infantry much more effectively than it currently does. But this is just a band aid until hopefully the damage model system is revamped for all vehicles.

The HE Rocket variants already seem to already be a good number, as their explosive mass is equal to their weight, while non-HE variants have about 20% the explosive mass of their weight.

Uploading my warheads variant. Basically removed the old explosive penalty, which causes most of the explosive weapons powers to be increased 2.5x, both NATO and Russian. Rockets/Missiles are unchanged, as missiles are penetrating weapons, and rockets, from my personal tests, are pretty deadly as is.

Also attached is a BombTest.miz file for testing different loadouts, note, the Su-25T is AI controlled, and will try and hit the center target with the one weapon you attach to it, if possible. I recommend using the AI for better consistency.

warheads.lua

BombTest.miz

maybe everyone is just having a totally different experience than i am, but i think i'm a reasonably good marksman and i have no luck with rockets at all.

just now i emptied 7 rockets (M151 HE) into a checkpoint of three trucks on a road, several of which exploded well within hand grenade instant kill range to no observable effect at all. this is hardly an effective weapon considering that the trucks have no armor. against a BTR or BMP they seem even more worthless. for whatever reason they're both inaccurate and require direct hits (with HE ??)

with the mod bombs seem a little more reasonable. MK84 seems at least to be above a firecracker at least.

maybe everyone is just having a totally different experience than i am, but i think i'm a reasonably good marksman and i have no luck with rockets at all.

just now i emptied 7 rockets (M151 HE) into a checkpoint of three trucks on a road, several of which exploded well within hand grenade instant kill range to no observable effect at all. this is hardly an effective weapon considering that the trucks have no armor. against a BTR or BMP they seem even more worthless. for whatever reason they're both inaccurate and require direct hits (with HE ??)

with the mod bombs seem a little more reasonable. MK84 seems at least to be above a firecracker at least.

Use the bombtest.miz that I attached, and then Equip only 1 pylon of the Su25T AI, with S-8 Rockets. It will do quite a lot of damage against the trucks. Another thing you have to remember though, HE has a really limited effect against any armored vehicles, even a direct hit in real life. You can see tanks being directly hit by several RPGs, and at worst, one of its tracks falls off.

I have not tested rockets on the A-10, but on the Su-25, they seem to work very close to RL counterparts.

russian rockets i have no great complaint about. anecdotally they seem relatively effective, though i only use them on the KA50 and i do not have a ton of experience with them there, preferring to use vikhr and cannon (mostly because getting close to anything with a 20mm+ is basically death)

it's the A-10's rockets i care about, because they seem not worth mounting at all and i get stuck with them in the default loadout of many missions.

i know for a fact that if i had thrown a single mk82 in there even without the warhead mod lazily and without a great deal of setup i would have smoked the whole lot quite easily.

Well considering the HE is very dependant upon Fragmentation and Dcs world does not do Fragmentation correct? I think in the past they had increased the blast value to compensate for lack of fragmentation modelling. Hence why i mentioned the He rockets above. I also have observed that the Russian rockets seem more potent in this regard compared to what the A10c carries.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Latest 1.5.3 crashes when this mod is active.

Confirmed: me too!