A-4E By HoggitDev

I understand where you are coming from, one simple answer to this is that it is not becoming a module, just a mod for DCS. So there will be no change in the market as this mod is not trying to compete with the "Third party developer" market.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be critical, so I appreciate the response. Best of luck to you and your team - hopefully one day you guys will also release a full-fledged model and make some money too!

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not "someone", we are a team, and this is a team project. I think you know this :) I think we definately do understand where you are coming from, but there are several reasons why we're doing this as a free mod. Mostly because this is our hobby and we wouldn't like to feel that we have responsibility of putting it out as a final product. That is only one of the arguements as to why we have not made it that way.

If we were to put this up with full systems and flight model for, lets say, 20usd below any other aircraft i can see how this could be problematic. However, this is a free mod that is unsupported by ED and so i don't think this should impact sales or prices of licensed 3rd parties :)

EDIT: You got an answer above, but i'll leave this here

I apologize, I didn't intend on leaving out the rest of the members of the team. Just don't sell yourselves short, you all are very talented!

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be critical, so I appreciate the response. Best of luck to you and your team - hopefully one day you guys will also release a full-fledged model and make some money too!

It's all good man no offense taken. Because of this project, all of us have a clear understanding of what it takes to develop a module to DCS and how hard it can be. I for one plan on creating a team (in the process) to become a licensed third party team. This was only possible because of HoggitDev so it's been a great help, and i hope it has been for the others.

As for HoggitDev, i don't think we plan/intend to create a paid module, it's been discussed extensively, however peoples minds may have changed (*Not Sure* - i can't speak for others).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

By making sure no money changes hands, there can be no hard feelings from the community if we don't meet our goals, release later than expected, or the realism suffers because of design/implementation choices or lack of official data.

This is also why we have only committed to SFM+SSM at this point, because we know it's achievable to some degree. We'd all love to take it further, but that's putting the cart before the horse, and we've seen too many efforts wither and die attempting too much at once.

It's all good man no offense taken. Because of this project, all of us have a clear understanding of what it takes to develop a module to DCS and how hard it can be. I for one plan on creating a team (in the process) to become a licensed third party team. This was only possible because of HoggitDev so it's been a great help, and i hope it has been for the others.

As for HoggitDev, i don't think we plan/intend to create a paid module, it's been discussed extensively, however peoples minds may have changed (*Not Sure* - i can't speak for others).

You'll be the first team on this way,thank you!

Amazing work guys! It looks beautiful!

Can't wait to try it out!

:) How about a beta tester?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

A-4E initially had a flat back, the hump was introduced with A-4F but was later fitted to some of the A-4E as well.

The A4K Kahu upgrade involved the Hump being removed to improve performance.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Having the nose gear collapse due to not landing in the proper attitude when coming aboard is not an indication of a fragile nose gear. The nose gear of just about any plane equiped with a tricycle landing gear will collapse, if not be substantially damaged, when the pilot allows that gear to take the mass of the plane on touch down. It is not designed for that. So if it collapses, that is not an indicator of a "fragile" landing gear!

It can also happen if you try to flare while landing on a carrier lol.:doh:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Subs17,

where are you located?

I am setting up a Virtual Kiwi Red team and will use this mod for it! Care to participate?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Subs17,

where are you located?

I am setting up a Virtual Kiwi Red team and will use this mod for it! Care to participate?

Waikato NZ, when the mod comes out I'd be up for a flight sometime.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Waikato NZ, when the mod comes out I'd be up for a flight sometime.:thumbup:

great! ;)

I'll create a Facebook page for it.

In the meantime, we can do some formation flying on the VA server....

Cheers!

E.

Great Project! Will the bird will have carrier compatibility?

Yep, it has a tail hook and it works in DCS the last time I tried it out.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Great Project! Will the bird will have carrier compatibility?

Landing on carriers works as well as any other carrier-capable plane in DCS. Tail hook is functional, plane traps just fine. We slide across the deck if brakes are off just like every other plane and helo in DCS.

To get takeoff to work, since DCS doesn't have working catapults for player-flown aircraft, we've faked the thrust numbers at low altitude and airspeed to allow you to takeoff from a carrier if you're very careful. This unfortunately makes the takeoff runs in Caucasus a bit short (with any sea-level runway), but we haven't yet come up with another solution. SFM doesn't allow us to arbitrarily set thrust values. We also attached LN's MiG JATO bottles to our plane, and while they do shoot flames, they don't affect thrust in the SFM either. (Though it looked cool)

If ED or one of the 3rd parties improve the core carrier mechanics and we're able to integrate with that, we will do so.

Guys, this thing looks so great. Best of luck, can't wait to give it a try. The Hornet mod is able to take off via the invisible ramp on the current HW Bush carrier mod. Not sure if that is a trick of the flight model too, or just the Hornet has enough AB power to take off with the ramp? Are you guys using the Bush as your carrier or something else? I know less than -zero- about coding or mods, so don't take what I said as a suggestion or complaint. Just curious about how it all works. Again, looks so cool, can't wait.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Guys, this thing looks so great. Best of luck, can't wait to give it a try. The Hornet mod is able to take off via the invisible ramp on the current HW Bush carrier mod. Not sure if that is a trick of the flight model too, or just the Hornet has enough AB power to take off with the ramp? Are you guys using the Bush as your carrier or something else? I know less than -zero- about coding or mods, so don't take what I said as a suggestion or complaint. Just curious about how it all works. Again, looks so cool, can't wait.

Yes, the F-18 simply has enough thrust, as does the Su-33.

All my tests have been done with the default carrier model.

indiadamjones gave the A-4 about 15,000 lbs of thrust from a standstill at low altitude + slow speed, and that's enough to get above the stall speed at MTOW by the time we reach the lip of the deck, if you roll from the left catapult to the nose of the carrier. It's a hack, but it works.

The AI planes cheat and have a magical catapult that launches them.

The AI planes cheat and have a magical catapult that launches them.

It amazes me what you all smart computer people can do either way. Hack away. :)

(Not a comparison) BMS's code somehow has a way to launch the player aircraft if you are lined up on the cat and kick in the AB... Granted no AB on the A4E (right?) but it makes me wonder if there is a way to make that magical AI catapult work for a player plane too. Sorry, not trying not be an a** just bored at work and speculating out loud.

To bad there's not a a mission script that could work, not have to mess with it in the plane code at all....

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Another solution would be to see what the exact altitude of the aircraft carrier deck is, and say in a range +/- 10 feet, increase the power for that narrow band only. The chances of a land-based runway being at the same altitude are slim, I'd think.

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!