A-4E By HoggitDev

In my 20 years of flying, neither did I. My point was that I saw a video showing a bunch of A-4 carrier traps where the nose gear collapsed.

And you guys complaining about my post saying "I did that job for so long and never saw anything like what you say"... doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Watch this video (the one I originally commented about). At the 20min mark, there are a few A-4s that collapse the nose gear. A few other aircraft are shown, but again at the 25min mark is another one. So, for you nay-sayers, the nosegear can collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

Dont think it was a matter of a Fragile Landing Gear on those incidents.

My guess would be that for some reason the Noes Gear did not Lock in properly.

But there is no Combat aircraft (that has seen use for more then a few years) that has never had a Gear Related Failure.

so with the A-4.

if it has lets say 10 gear failures from during its entire service (and all the hundreds of thousands if not millions of landings) with the US Navy/Marinecorps.

but if all 8 of those were Filmed then ppl might mistakenly thing the aircraft is dangerous and has a Nosegear that is prone to failing etc.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Levelpulse,

How hard has it been to get the shape of the A-4 right? I remember reading a post not too long ago on the Leatherneck F-14 thread where someone pointed out an issue with the shape/proportion, and Cobra responding that there was indeed more refining to do, and that they had already remodeled some parts because they weren't accurate enough.

Edited by RabidRider

@Levelpulse,

How hard has it been to get the shape of the A-4 right? I remember reading a post not too long ago on the Leatherneck F-14 thread where someone pointed out an issue with the shape/proportion, and Cobra responding that there was indeed more refining to do, and that they had already remodeled some parts because they weren't accurate enough.

Not level but I'll answer.

Modelling is done using blueprints when available, and eyeballing when not, preferably using other known references as a base.

The aircraft shape is not the hard part, there's a lot of data available with lots of info on it. The smaller details are harder to get because of the lack of references, but we make do.

as a companion to the cockpit shot, here are some in-progress images of textures for ground equipment, and the mk-77 bomb.

Looks great! How are you gonna implement the Napalm into DCS?

Windows 7 Ult 64 Bit | Intel Core i5-3570 | 16GB DDR3-2133 | GTX 770

Watch this video (the one I originally commented about).

I'm sure the nosegear can collapse. I don't know how or if we can model a failed nose gear lock. In most of those landings, they're properly landing on the mains but the nose gear simply folds back up into the nose of the plane.

In one, it went backwards due to an apparent on-nose landing at night, but it's hard to tell.

@Levelpulse,

If you have a specific piece of feedback regarding a shape issue in the pictures we've shown, please PM archimaede or one of the rest of us and we'll see what we can do. If you have a photo as data, even better.

--gos

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this aircraft!

In the progress of setting up a New Zealand Virtual Aerobatic Team based on the A4 Skyhawks (the original team was named Kiwi Red and part of the RNZAF).

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Looking forward to this aircraft!

In the progress of setting up a New Zealand Virtual Aerobatic Team based on the A4 Skyhawks (the original team was named Kiwi Red and part of the RNZAF).

That would be very cool to see and bring back many memories - so... you planning to do the buddy AAR demo?

That would be very cool to see and bring back many memories - so... you planning to do the buddy AAR demo?

Absolutely :) Including barrel rolling in pair, right?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

We'll have a update for you guys at the end of May.

Lots of people from our team have put a massive amount of work in for the past two months.

Edited by LevelPulse
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

We'll have a big update for you guys at the end of May.

Lots of people from our team have put a massive amount of work in for the past two months.

Awesome!! Thanks for the update!

We'll have a update for you guys at the end of May.

Awesome! Cannot wait to see what you guys have in store!

:music_whistling: Waiting for some news...

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro