Upcoming RDI Radar changes

Zeus67

I welcome the common sense approach. Hope the Mica is also brought in too

This is not about common sense, it's about sticking to RL capabilities.

MICA is not a RL capability on the 2000C:

- The RDI radar is not compatible with the MICA EM.

- The MICA IR could be a technical possibility (envisaged for upgrade of Mirage 2000Ds) but no work envisaged for the Cs AFAIK (too old aircraft); and it's not just "plug & play" like the MLWS.

spacer.png

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeus, will there be a way of moving the TDC left or right without also changing the radars azimuth? This would be useful for when you are intercepting a target along the aircraft's heading and so want to keep the radar pointing forward to maximise the chances of detection but while doing so you want to interrogate a radar contact that appears at the edge of you scan area.

I think in that case the solution is to widen your azimuth search area.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Can you please explain where can those azimuth offset values be seen there? To me it looks as if the first image shows radar antenna steered to the left and the second one to the right.

The bottom value of the TDC indicates the azimuth offset. Right now these values are for development only and will soon be replaced by the real ones that appear in this section of the TDC: the search cone altitude limits, which have a more practical use than knowing the value of the azimuth offset.

In fact, I will make the change today so those will be available this Friday.

There won't be more development for the radar this week. I need to update the manual so you can read all about them in it before the update release.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Zeus did you notice the Radar VTB Missaligment problem between the 30 and 60 degrees?

Here:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj894hgF7HU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj894hgF7HU[/ame]

I know sadenion fixed it in his display mod

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2653310&postcount=44

I'm not talking adding what he added fully just the fix for the missaligment

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159313&highlight=VTB

And also the idea of moving the grid on the left would make much better to see the radar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

aircraft capable even if not used (cockpit compatible, probably wiring done too...)

I support Razbam's decision to make the D2M (MLWS) available on their 2000C.

To answer Sacha: it's not implemented now.

Cool :thumbup:

Zeus did you notice the Radar VTB Missaligment problem between the 30 and 60 degrees?

Fixed.

And also the idea of moving the grid on the left would make much better to see the radar

Will fix it.

When the radar is in STT, the anternna is locked in both elevation and azimuth to the target.

When the radar is in TWS, the antenna is locked only in elevation to the target. As for centering the antenna in azimuth, I am not so sure. After all in TWS the radar still keeps searching for other contacts while keeping track of your target.

I think if in reduced Azimuth and in TWS with a designated target the Azimuth volume should be centered on the designated TWS target ....thats how the F18 TWS worked back in the 80's

With the standard scope i can see that there are blind areas to the far left and far right, am I mistaking ?

This is correct, the standard scope is like looking down from above, your aircraft nose (where the radar is) is at the bottom edge of the screen, so you see the 60 degrees left/right the antenna can rotate; anything beyond that won't be visible to it. Vertically the same thing happens (with a narrower cone) but the overhead view cannot depict that and you need to use the altitude readouts on the cursor.

In B-scope mode the display is stretched so the entire bottom edge represents the aircraft nose. This has the advantage of giving more lateral separation to contacts as they near the bottom of the display, and any contact moving straight down the display is on a collision course with you. The disadvantage is it's not as intuitive.

I think if in reduced Azimuth and in TWS with a designated target the Azimuth volume should be centered on the designated TWS target ....thats how the F18 TWS worked back in the 80's

Working on that.

Edited: Actually it is done.

Edited by Zeus67

What happens when the locked contact is unlocked or simply disappears - will the radar snap back to original azimuth and elevation or will it stay in it's last position?

This question would not arise if the azimuth was kept at it's designated position ... somehow this would feel more intuitive for me (who has no clue about radars, mind you!). I mean, I set the azimut because I want to observe that area - and also track that one contact. But I don't want to only focus on that one contact and it's direct surroundings, right?

What happens when the locked contact is unlocked or simply disappears - will the radar snap back to original azimuth and elevation or will it stay in it's last position?

This question would not arise if the azimuth was kept at it's designated position ... somehow this would feel more intuitive for me (who has no clue about radars, mind you!). I mean, I set the azimut because I want to observe that area - and also track that one contact. But I don't want to only focus on that one contact and it's direct surroundings, right?

Radar antenna will revert back to last known pilot setting in both azimuth and elevation.

i was hoping since last update got both versions basically internally the same aka dcs world that updates would translate to both every time one comes out. Either way their is more tree tops in the old map to buzz...

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

i was hoping since last update got both versions basically internally the same aka dcs world that updates would translate to both every time one comes out. Either way their is more tree tops in the old map to buzz...

I doubt that will happen

In case something goes wrong both versions will have to be fixed and it takes time to build the patch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Ok so when my radar is in 120° degrees search mode with the standard scope and 20 NM range, how do I see contacts that are at 18 NM and 50 degrees to my right ? How the screen is done, it seams that it will be out of it.

Oh, I get what you mean now - you're talking about the top of the display, where the antenna sweep indicator goes off the display?

I think the only solution will be to use a longer range setting, and only switch to shorter range modes when you're investigating contacts that aren't so far off to the sides. Or possibly, switch to B-scope mode, which I think displays the entire search space.

Edit: B-scope mode is probably best if you need the widest possible angle, as the ±60 will always have part of the search area beyond the display's physical area. Or you could use the 160NM mode since anything you can actually detect will be quite a bit closer than that, and probably within the display's limits.

Edited by nomdeplume

It should remain where it was pointing when it lost the contact. You want to re-acquire ASAP; if you acquired straight ahead but the bandit ended up notching at -20 degrees EL you don't want to have that antenna coming back to 0 EL. You want it where it last saw that contact.

Radar antenna will revert back to last known pilot setting in both azimuth and elevation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In fact it was how it worked for the FC3 fighters, but it was changed to the more logical approach of leaving the scan zone where the contact was lost, since you want to help with re-acquisition.

Sounds logical. :)

That's already how it works for FC3 fighters, by the way ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It should remain where it was pointing when it lost the contact. You want to re-acquire ASAP; if you acquired straight ahead but the bandit ended up notching at -20 degrees EL you don't want to have that antenna coming back to 0 EL. You want it where it last saw that contact.

That has merit, sure.

But then, as the azimuth is determined by the TDC in the M-2000C, what should occur?

- discrepancy antenna azimuth<>TDC? Not good: as soon as you move again your TDC, the antenna will "snap back" loosing the advantage you seeked by letting it remain where it was pointing when it lost the contact.

- moving the TDC automatically to where the target was lost? I'm not sure this exists on the real aircraft... but perhaps it's a good idea if you want to re-acquire ASAP (except that you could somhow clutter your vision with the TDC).

In fact it was how it worked for the FC3 fighters, but it was changed to the more logical approach of leaving the scan zone where the contact was lost, since you want to help with re-acquisition.

Oh? OK thanks. Didn't remember this change.

Edited by Azrayen
typo TCD=>TDC

spacer.png

As Azrayen said, the problem is the TDC, because the focus of the antenna azimuth is the TDC.

The only solution I see is to disable the TDC when in TWS mode, that way if the contact is lost, the TDC is "snapped" to last known position.

Of course, these only works for azimuth search values less than 60. There is no antenna azimuth steering when the search arc is 120 degrees (60 azimuth).

You don't have to disable the TDC necessarily - you should be able to move AZ around your designated target, but like you said ... moving the TDC to target when contact is lost is one solution.

It's just slightly different logic when in designated mode (I guess that's why they call it a mode, I never though about it before)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]