Upcoming RDI Radar changes

Zeus67

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And elevation afaik is gonna be shown on the scale on the left side of the display.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I was talking about the radar caret on the VTB, not interception flight director VTH.

Here's a picture showing how I guess radar azimuth will be shown on the VTB - again, it's a guess ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=135630&stc=1&d=1456624770

And elevation afaik is gonna be shown on the scale on the left side of the display.

Thanks guys, I'm going to practice that, and see or not to see ... Lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well you can't since it's not in the game yet. It's being worked on...

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Testing the radar antenna elevation:

Screen_160229_134343_zpsqslfnwkg.jpg

Screen_160229_134437_zpsvpdl2xun.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Please to do axis for this, not only keys : ).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Radar elevation marker in the screen, the number next to the marker indicates the current search bar. With this I consider the antenna elevation control finalized. Tomorrow I'll work on the azimuth control.

12792373_963723150380990_5861675430079829574_o.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I'm sorry to ask this "obvious" question, but can de radar only search at "one elevation"? (I only see one marker in the picture) or does it work like in the F15 where I can set the radar to search betweeen 0 and 23'000 feet?

Radar elevation marker in the screen, the number next to the marker indicates the current search bar. With this I consider the antenna elevation control finalized. Tomorrow I'll work on the azimuth control.

12792373_963723150380990_5861675430079829574_o.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Find me on stackexchange or GitHub

I'm sorry to ask this "obvious" question, but can de radar only search at "one elevation"? (I only see one marker in the picture) or does it work like in the F15 where I can set the radar to search betweeen 0 and 23'000 feet?

It's like other radars, you have configurable number of 'bars' of search: 1, 2, or 4. The radar cone is approximately 3 degrees, so a 1 bar search will cover 3 degrees, 2 bars covers about 6 degrees, and 4 bars covers about 12 degrees. What you're controlling with the antenna elevation control (and what is indicated by the marker in the display) is the amount the antenna is angled up or down in the middle of its scan zone.

The min/max altitude this area encompasses depends on your own altitude, and the distance from your aircraft: 3 degrees covers a much wider area 40 miles away than it does 4 miles away. The images in this post might help visualise this.

The radar cone is approximately 3 degrees, so a 1 bar search will cover 3 degrees,

Correct.

2 bars covers about 6 degrees, and 4 bars covers about 12 degrees.

This is indeed about how it is now in DCS, but in RL you'd have some overlapse between bars.

You set "one value" for antenna orientation in elevation (vertical axis), but then you have (or should/will have, it's not implemented now), next to the TDC, the distance (between you and the TDC) in NM, plus the min/max thousands of feet the antenna scans at this distance (in "S" mode) or the thousand of feet at the center of the radar beam at this distance (in "Z" mode).

S or Z => switch on the radar console.

S is default mode, useful when you search on your own. Z is a nice mode for when a GCI/AWACS controllers guides you to a target and gives you its distance from you and its altitude.

++

Az'

Edited by Azrayen
typo

spacer.png

So I'm assuming if a TWS locked contact leaves my designated scan zone (elevation, azimuth) I will lose lock while in STT the radar antenna will follow the lock to the gimbal limits. Correct?

Specs:

So I'm assuming if a TWS locked contact leaves my designated scan zone (elevation, azimuth) I will lose lock while in STT the radar antenna will follow the lock to the gimbal limits. Correct?

If you have a contact locked in TWS, the antenna will follow the target elevation.

Azimuth is a little more tricky, so I'll see what can be done.

If you have a contact locked in TWS, the antenna will follow the target elevation.

I see, thanks.

Specs:

Thx for the heads up.

Will the antenna be giro-stabilized in the elevation update ?

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Thx for the heads up.

Will the antenna be giro-stabilized in the elevation update ?

Yes.