Su-25UB/Su-25UTG Project

While I wait for 3DSMax, or 3dSmax, or whoseveritscalled to install, I thought I'd announce that I'm going to create a Su-25UB and Su-25UTG, in one order or another. I didn't know what DCS or Eagle Dynamics were until two weeks ago, but I've been having a hoot. Not only did I make that Tu-22M3 flyable, I made an avLuaDevice to get those damned wings to swing nicely. That's heady stuff I thought, why don't I give a whole plane a try?

Joking aside, I'm a controls engineer in the aerospace and defense industry, so the real challenge for me here is 3d modeling. I figure if I whittle down at the existing model enough with a chainsaw, something trainer-ish-looking might come out.

I'm also learning Russian, Так что для моих русских друзей, я повторюсь. Я собираюсь создать Су-25УБ и Су-25УТГ, чтобы мы могли приземлиться легче на Кузнецо́в. Я сказал, смешные вещи на английском языке, но это проще. Товарищи, если вы должны иметь какую-либо полезную информацию о задней кабине двух сидящих, я был бы признателен. Кроме того, пожалуйста, будьте нежны на моем языке.

I added at the end that if anyone has any details on the rear cockpits of either airplane, the more information the better.

I just used the Su-25T cockpit, so from inside it's not realistic at all. But flying her from the exterior she looked good enough dropping bombs, but the wings always stayed at 20 degrees sweep. I wrote an avLuaDevice script to sweep the wings based on airspeed and mach, found the bomb bay set_aircraft_arg to set too. One time I dropped the whole load of bombs at once, and I somehow ended up blowing myself up. Won't let that happen again.

That's actually the long term dream really, to do the Tu-22M3 or Tu-160 cockpits up right. 'Flight of the Old Dog', Russian style...:)

This youtube channel has several videos of Su-25UBs in action over Chechnya. It includes several videos that show the rear seat of the Frogfoot, as well as how it was employed in combat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vciPjwg9YuKOgh3ZSkb1Q

I've definitely been longing for a UB. Having a 2-seat ground attack aircraft that can actually pack a punch would be amazing!

Since saying "I'm going to build a 3D cockpit" like it's a stroll in the park, I have learned many things:

It's harder than a 3D airplane exterior model. The geometry is much more complicated. Even if you had 3-view photos or drawings of a cockpit (which, in this case, I do not), the interior geometry is so complex that you can't get nearly as an accurate idea of the 3d geometry from pictures as you can an exterior.

Other angled pictures help with judging the correctness of what you have made, but don't help much in creating it in the first place

Thankfully, I found this:

10177353a.jpg

Which should be in my mailbox any day now. That, plus my digital calipers, should get me started.

It will also help to steal as much "hardware" from the front cockpit as I can :music_whistling:

Brian

• Like 1

So, finally had everything set up to pull the cockpit model over into 3dsMax, and BRICKWALL! EDM is a very secure container format. I peeked into it a little bit, but I want to stay in ED's good graces, so I left it alone.

But there's no way I'm doing the whole thing from scratch. I put forth an idea to ED. We'll see what they say. :helpsmilie:

I hope this isn't a dead end.

Looks like work alone for DCS development must be very hard, I hope you know the titanic effort that could be in front of you.

I think I'm not wrong when I say that you are the only bet we have for a current development of a new red bird at DCS level.

A lot of american and NATO stuff is going on by ED and partners but as far as I know there are not public announcements of any development for future russian planes right now.

I hope you succeed.

If you get any wall in front of you ask the forums for help, there are incredible talented people here that won't hesitate to put internet to its knees to get that evasive bit of information that eludes you at any point.

I dream to lift off with a Frog at DCS level and do that amazing joystick work that we have seen on Groove's video. A dream for now!!

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps