New to DCS - new rig

Hello,

First post, returning to simming (long time FSX user) and looking to build a new rig to run DCS. Looking at a 6700k/GTX1080 based system. As I'm starting from scratch am seriously considering (having read the 100+ pages of the Oculus Rift thread) VR rather than splash out on large (UHD) monitor.

Couple of questions to test some assumptions I have built up based on reading this forum and researching the net...

1. Is my assumption of an OC 6700k/1080 based system correct to run DCS using VR (OR CV1) sufficiently smoothly?

2. 1x smaller (250) SSD for the OS and 1x larger (500) SSD for DCS? Is this the best way to configure storage? Is 500GB sufficient for DCS and anticipated modules over life of system (3-4 years)?

3. RAM requirements? 16GB or 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4? If the latter does it matter (from perf point of view) whether 4x8GB or 2x16GB?

4. What's the consensus for sound? Is a dedicated sound card required for DCS? I am planning to used a Z170 Pro Gaming MB and some say that the integrated sound is sufficient, others that using the MB can affect frames/cpu load? Is a £50 card okay?

5. Lastly, I don't have the confidence (despite watching various 'how to' videos) to build myself so will have to pay premium for an online custom builder. Any recommendations for such services in U.K?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CH

hello. and welcome to dcs.

for the cv1 you wont go wrong with the setup your looking at.

see my specs below. i get a smooth experience in the rift with mid / high settings

where abouts in the uk are you ?

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

1: pretty nice choice ! Add watercooling and you are perfectly set

2: good choice, 1 SSD for OS, 1 SSD for Games and large-HHD for the rest

3: rather have 2 x 8 or 2 x16 than 4 x something, less modules OC better. I woud go for 32GB if you can afford it, tho 16GB is plenty for now but RAM..heck, you cant have enuff ;)

4. The only thing that isnt critical in DCS is sound, yeah, OB sound is plenty :) Get a good headset for comfortable comms via TS or SimpleRadio.

Have fun :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm also considering a new build and I understand that DCS does not benefit from logical cores.

Q) Is there any real advantage of a 6700K over a 6600K? (Or indeed a 4790K over a 4690K?)

Edited by Django

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

DJ, The 6700K is newer by a year. Best processor now at this price for gaming. 4790K is somewhat faster but uses older LGA 1150. 6700K uses the newer 1151. Use LGA1151 for the ge-force 1080 and ddr4 memory. 4790 uses ddr3 memory. IIRC.

Agree with most here.

You can't have enough RAM(32GB is fine) and go for DDR4, DDR3 is old news now.

Just build a new myself a couple of months ago and it's running pretty smooth.

I went for i5 because DCS only uses 2 cores (I only use it for DCS) and with nothing else than windows services in the background there is really no point in getting more cores.

Specs in my sig.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 4 months later...

Update: bought rig, what next to get up and running?

Thanks for all the replies. Had some real world flying taking up my time since I posted in the summer, but finally (yesterday) got around to buying a new computer. Pretty close to what I was thinking in original post...

I7 6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, GTX1080 (EVGA SC ACX), Samsung SM962 M.2 (128mb) for OS, Samsung 850 EVO (500mb) for DCS, Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB 3000Mhz, Corsair H100i V2, Corsair RMx 850w.

Need to buy a monitor before it arrives on 29th. As I am planning to use Rift (need to buy one of those too!) in DCS I'm thinking of just getting a standard 1080p monitor (told Mrs CR4ZYHOR5E that the new computer was was for her office :smilewink:)

Can someone confirm the following to get up and running (am interested in DCS2.0 with NTTR)...

1. Download DCS World 2.0 (free) - do I need 1.5 (full or beta) installed as well?

2. Purchase NTTR from e-shop. Register?

3. Download NTTR from in game (module manager)? Presumably I need to create a log in that corresponds to the details given when purchasing module in e-shop?

Will post some specific VR (how to get up and running) in the VR section.

Cheers,

CH

1. You do not need 1.5 to have 2.0 working.

2. That's correct - register on site and purchase NTTR

3. Go into the game and log in using the same nick/password as on site; you will get an option to download the map.

Note that the only free aircraft you will have is Su-25T and perhaps this is not the best option for VR as it has non-clickable cockpit. I would highly recommend you purchase one the downloadable planes/choppers (there is a special bundle on sale right now for Mi-8 and Nevada map).

P.S. VR - in the graphics options menu, there is a VR preset option. Go with it as it's a good starting point.

Keep in mind nearly all training missions, most of single missions and campaigns were made for the Caucasus terrain, which means you need a separate install with 1.5 for these (for the time being, before both games get merged next year).

Not much to do around NTTR nowadays, though apparently there are some payware campaigns available for it as well.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Just a heads up on use of multiple cores from my experience 1.5 seems to use only 2 cores but 2.0x seems to more actively use multiple cores. Which is nice as I have 5930. I have also been told they are working on utilising more cores.

6700k should work well also (I do photography so 6/12 cores is good) With NTTR and Huey run at around 12% CPU utilisation and 8GB mem used out of 32GB.

Load times are faster from SSD as I have DCS 1.5 on spinning HDD and DCS 2.0x on SSD especially when new data needs to be fetched from SSD maybe something to consider.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.