How to set an orbit

Johnny Dioxin

Is there an easy way to set a couple of AI aircraft to fly orbits.

Currently I just set a number of waypoints in a circuit and do enough that it will last long enough (hopefully), as per the screenie.

Is there a way to set this without having to set so many waypoints?

I don't know jack about scripting - so if that's the solution, I'll just carry on as it is, thanks!

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

Waypoint options.

The orbit is racetrack* bewtween waypoints

You can have them switch to another waypoint as well.

*Orbit is circling a waypoint

Racetrack is switching between 2 waypoints

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yes it is ! Just like Joey said , Orbits!

Do this,

add you aircraft

add a waypoint

select waypoint 0

click on ADVANCED WAYPOINT ACTIONS

click add, (a new options menu will appear)

on TYPE select Perform Task

on Action select Orbit

on PATTERN select Race-Track

set the speed and altitude

DONE

Remember this when you make the mission: If the aircraft is damaged by enemy, the ai will stop orbiting and RTB on the nearest friendly airport. If there is no such thing he will land on neutrals too.

The same will happen if the AI runs out of fuel.

Edited by predattak

Well your method has worked very nicely.

I wasn't able to set the parameter to fly back to WP 1 though - not in the list of tasks, anyway.

There wasn't an option to specify the size of the orbit pattern that I could see, and it does seem to be a bit tight. I also set altitudes and the AI don't seem to be too particular about keeping to them - some do, some don't (I have 5 orbiting aircraft, two of which have ignored the set altitudes) and I also set starting altitudes different from the default and not one of them started from where I wanted - they all started from the default altitude, which meant they had to do some serious climbing - almost to the point of stalling.

I'll look in the manual :)

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

Well your method has worked very nicely.

I wasn't able to set the parameter to fly back to WP 1 though - not in the list of tasks, anyway.

There wasn't an option to specify the size of the orbit pattern that I could see, and it does seem to be a bit tight. I also set altitudes and the AI don't seem to be too particular about keeping to them - some do, some don't (I have 5 orbiting aircraft, two of which have ignored the set altitudes) and I also set starting altitudes different from the default and not one of them started from where I wanted - they all started from the default altitude, which meant they had to do some serious climbing - almost to the point of stalling.

I'll look in the manual :)

For the Racetrack orbit you need two waypoints to define the "leg".

The circular orbit uses the next waypoint to define the diameter of the circle, if I remember correct.

Long time not set a circular one.

There also is a stop condition for actions. You can set a time to fly an orbit and after that the unit continue the route...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)