Pimax VR 4K - Menu Issue - Please Help

XimoX

Hi all,

I would like to see if the issue I have with this really good VR headset can be solved.

http://en.pimaxvr.com/

I purchased the above headset attracted by the low price (half of big brand units, infact) and the 4K definition plus SteamVR and Oculus SDK compatibility promise and knowing that recently our colleagues in China get things right pretty often.

And I cant say I was wrong.

The Unit is not perfect (none is, currently) but it really shows the possibilities and in most compatible games, after some tweaks, its just great (Elite Dangerous, Project Cars, War Thunder etc), and the definition is better than anything else (I own a PSVR and have access to Vive).

But now to the issue:

I cant play my favorite SIM!!!!

The problem is simple, the Menu at the beginning (after login, where you see settings and exit at the top, planes to buy at the bottom) is cut off so the whole right part (where all the game options are) is invisible, yet i can still see the outline and i can move mouse over the perimeter but there is nothing inside, only the background. Do you know how to fix/resize that?

I added a picture to clarify. Please note this is a problem known by Pimax and its owners.

I would be really grateful if somebody could give me something to try and if I get it to work i will share to the PIMAX community which will definitely bring more interest to DCS!.

Thanks,

X.

3972fcf7cfa8994fe6336619d0d636b7932806c4_1_489x499.jpg

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Hi Chic,

Many thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately no, its a different sort of issue unrelated to the position of the taskbar. Its just a portion of the GUI at start (the one on the right, with instant action etc etc) that is completely missing. Perhaps some DCS tech is able to figure out why or give a workaround/config set to fix.

Hoping they read this post.

Thanks,

X

DCS treat this one as dual monitor. No solution yet.

You have to report this to ED team.If they are willing to support other VR device.

Hi,

thanks for answer.

Dual monitor? ED team? Can you clarify please?

Thanks in advance,

X.

This Device is Currently not a Supported VR Device.

(Rift / Vive are all that's supported AFAIK).

That being said,

Easiest thing to Do is Run DCS in Stereoscopic Mode w/ the Headset set as an Extended Display.

How is Motion tracking working in pixmax? Is there camera track etc.. and what about performance ? Asw ?

Thnaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not Motion Tracking it's a 3DOF Device

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 3 weeks later...

OK, So I managed to fix this issue for the Razer HDK2 OSVR

Right click on windows desktop, Screen resolution and check your second screen (The HMD screen) I'm guessing you will find it set to portrait mode.

It was what caused this issue for me, Remember to change the orientation back to landscape mode will require you to close SteamVR first.

Hopefully that should fix the issue.

Fly safe.

• 1 month later...

Did you set the vr settings in dcs? That was my first problem for the oculus. Settings - VR complete right tab. Maybe you have..but you never know.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Can you override the screenresolution in pimax to 1920 x 1080? When i set my desktop to 1920 x 1080 and my settings are 2k, then i see not the whole screen in my view. I am 90% sure this is the same problem. Pixmax has more pixels then DCS expect!!!!! If you set the screenresolution lower in pixmax, the whole screen must than be visible. Maybe cfg setting or a SDK override?

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Can you override the screenresolution in pimax to 1920 x 1080? When i set my desktop to 1920 x 1080 and my settings are 2k, then i see not the whole screen in my view. I am 90% sure this is the same problem. Pixmax has more pixels then DCS expect!!!!! If you set the screenresolution lower in pixmax, the whole screen must than be visible. Maybe cfg setting or a SDK override?

Thanks for your help!

Well, you are totally right about what you said but only if you are using a monitor...for some reason in VR this is not the case. In fact, its the opposite, the smaller the resolution the less menu I can see. I think this problem is related to the screen in the headset set to portrait instead of horizontal BUT, as I cant get extended mode to work I cant change this setting in the nvcp. Reading about this issue (extended mode) it seems like latest occulus drivers killed the possibility to do that but going back is not a solution as other lot of things would stop working then...

Whit the pimax set at 2k, I can see a liitle bit of menu and thus I can manage to load ME and somewhat fly but I cant do a lot of things.

Btw, at 2k and most of the setting at ultra (which gives me 60 fps most of the time), this set is just....................:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

I can read almost perfectly all gauges (even not using any pixel density increase) and see incredible clearly into the horizon, its an STUNNING experience, its just like being in the plane so I think its actually the ONLY set that really allows you to fly as it should but its not totally supported so it would be great if ED gives support for it.

Meanwhile if anyone can help me to totally fix this issue I would really appreciate it!!:thumbup:

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Last try.. I've been thinking with you. (last try...don't know if pimax is compatible is with vorpx)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdvC2hebF6M

You can see in the tutorial you be able too zoom in and zoom out.:D

Further i saw an very interesting article for you...:music_whistling:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/973608/3d-vision/quick-test-on-with-the-pimax4k/2/

@watermanpc, you could give us some more detailed experience with Pimax 4K.

I know there is some problems but I believe could be fixed. So I got some questions.

1. Are you able to start DCS in full 4K resolution no matter on fps?
  2. Did you try Opentrack head tracking freeware and is Pimax recognized inside at all? There is option for arduino gyro so maybee.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, sorry to answer after so long, but didnt saw your post until now :doh:

1- Short answer, NO. Sadly, there is not 4k support as of yet, BUT, Im flying at 2k 60fps and it looks A W E S O M E!!:D...also, with my 1070, I fly maxed settings 4x AA in 2.0 and it runs very well unless you fly over vegas city.

2- I tried with opentrack and using my DIY led clip but couldnt manage to make it work, even disabling pimax sensor (which you can do since a few firm updates. But maybe its me and my limited knoledge the culprit for this.

Apart from that, the biggest problem that pimax vr googles have IMHO, is the drifting issue...its a real problem and makes me sad because they look so damn good!!!:mad:...I can read pretty clear all the gauges without using any pixel density enhancement and without having tracking system (which I could use to get a bit closer to them as probably you would do even in the real cockpit to look them better).

Also, another "stupid" problem is that resolution for pimax is 1440x2560 instead of 2560x1440 :mad::doh: and thus, you cant completelly read the menus in DCS...I managed to "fix" this by enabling extended mode through steam VR and changing the resolution by rotating the pimax screen...everything looks good now BUT, the problem is in extended mode performance is incredibly worse than in direct mode and I think some fancy and useful features like reprojection are not working so as soon as the game drops below 60 fps everything becomes a stutter mess...

So basically, pimax are GREAT for one thing, image quality and SDE...other than that they are pretty tricky and lack a lot of important features. The good thing is that developers are actually working hard and we are supposed to get soon Nolos VR tracking. Once they release the 4k support+Nolos+drift issue solved, pimax VR=WIN!!!;)

Hope you have now a clearer idea of what to expect!;)

Take a look at my MODS here

The PiMax Chip doesnt support 4K Input, the screens are 4K, but the HDMI Chip only supports 1080p.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I guess you are getting a sneak preview of CV2, only without the proper tracking. Just imagine a screen that is so sharp it doesn't need supersampling and there is no screen door effect, but with the tracking quality of the CV1. I'm saving my pennies already.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Thanks to answer waterman. Some technical answers I got on Pimax forum. You right they could run 4K but only on 30Hz what is not good for gaming only for movies.

Problem for this is MIPI board which connect display with PC true HDMI 1.4

Some Pimax Dev told me they are working on connection true Display port 1.2 which will allow 4K on 60Hz minimum. I'm wondering is this could have some benefit from AMD Freesync tehnology because could work on 75Hz with much smooth picture.

Also they work on Pimax 8K and positional tracking. 8K is actualy 4K per eye with 210 FOV. Prototype is already there and will start sun kick start campaign for it.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-pimaxs-8k-headset-proves-high-fov-vr-coming/

About your problem with 1440x2560 I think we could raise it on Pimax forum and I will support you there. As I see Devs communicate a lot with consumers and using this information's to implement some fixes. If we push it we could get priority to fix it.

2- I tried with opentrack and using my DIY led clip but couldnt manage to make it work, even disabling pimax sensor (which you can do since a few firm updates. But maybe its me and my limited knoledge the culprit for this.

About opentrack I was thinking did you try to set Pimax gyro somehow true input not true pointtracker. Something like EDtracker is connected like joystick or some arduino or SteamVR option. Check the video as an idea.

Where is the best PiMax forum, that has the most knowledgeable members in a format similar to the one here at DCS?

I've tried the one at http://forum.pimaxvr.com/latest and it's almost useless, being so cumbersomeness to use/find any helpful information.

I have a set of PiMax 4K (that I ended up getting for free because Gearbest is so screwed up) but the total image is split between two eyes, and is rotated 90º CW.

So I have the right side of the image in the right eye but vertical, and the left side of the image in my left eye and also vertical.

I tried to do all the things that were published to be able to use it on a system that is currently set up for my Rift, but have gotten nowhere with it by using the aforementioned web site.

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

Where is the best PiMax forum, that has the most knowledgeable members in a format similar to the one here at DCS?

I've tried the one at http://forum.pimaxvr.com/latest and it's almost useless, being so cumbersomeness to use/find any helpful information.

That is the forum. My point is there is no content on it for we are interested because there is no proper threads. I notice devs answering on most of the stuff even start working on some issues. If we DCS player organize something and start pushing some issues there is more chance we could push some things in our favor. individually we cant do nothing.

Yeah .. that site sucks only slightly less than the retailer GearBest. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.