Blown tires on takeoff

riproren

Since the new 2.4 NTTR update I'm experiencing a blown tire on almost every takeoff. I've had it happen anywhere from 150 to 200kts. Any body else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Is it in a specific airport?

At what weight? what is the aircraft configurations? weather?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Red Flag missions 2 and 3. I've flown them before and never had the issue.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Will try to reproduce. So only two external tanks on the wings, no missiles, chaff/flare, gun ammo?

Does it happen on single missions on only in the Red flag campaign?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Sorry. Yes, full load out. Preloaded in Red Flag.

Since the new 2.4 NTTR update I'm experiencing a blown tire on almost every takeoff. I've had it happen anywhere from 150 to 200kts. Any body else?

Try getting the nosewheel off the runway between 100 and 120 KCAS, see if that does anything. Should be holding 10 degrees pitch until you're off the floor, as well.

Lord of Salt

riproren,

I did not encounter any problems using normal takeoff (as stated by sweep ). Could it be that you where going to fast while still on the ground?

To whom it may concern,

In May, 1983 an Israeli F-15d landed at 260 knots without blowing the tires. And, yes, at Nellis, one of the tires blows consistently now. (Loadout was 2, 2, and 4 ... I think... with two bags. Rotated at 120, lifted around 150 with one tire blown.)

6506979614.jpg

Edited by =Mac=
Added the takeoff specs

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Was it just an instant mission or a red flag? Just curious to know how to report.

Not a redflag issue...happens all the time in F-15 since 2.0.4...Simple mission with 8 missiles and full tanks...Right tire blows about 130kias

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Thanks Sierra. On a positive note, I've managed to grease every landing with the flat tire at Nellis. Sure is noisy though.

Ok so, let's break this down,

- Has anyone tried what sweep suggested? Did it help?

- This has been said about several aircraft a multitude of times ( not about the tire but about it being at alpha stage); it is still a alpha, things will change. I do not know if this is the intended behavior or not.

- Next, I tried to duplicate it online on the Aerobatic Online Server (former VA) Clean aircraft (yes, I know it does not match the OP, but we will get to that in a minute) and could not duplicate during normal take off as sweep posted. I also tried in Groom Lake. Additionally, I tried with "full load out" in single player with bad weather and clear weather, quick missions and could not duplicate (CND).

Seems like high weight and ground speed are working here.

Now lets talk about this;

In May, 1983 an Israeli F-15d landed at 260 knots without blowing the tires...

6506979614.jpg

And in 2008 one F-15 broke in flight;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011003411.html

Mac,

- Now that we both posted something that happened once to a specific F-15; could we agree the an F-15 missing a wing, with no weapons nor external tanks, leaking fuel at a high rate would be considerable lighter that a F-15 as stated (by the riproren) with two wing tanks and a "full load out"?

- Could we also agree that during take off your speed goes up rapidly and during landing it goes down?

So a lighter F-15 should not have any problems, which again I tried and could not duplicate tire failure ( like I said, we got to it in a minute).

What we need is a way to duplicate it, but first I would like to wait for the answer to the first two questions;

- Has anyone tried what sweep suggested? Did it help?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Yes, I had seen the story about the F-15 longeron failure. I would imagine that ride was a wild one!

From what I can gather, the F-15's main mount is a 36x11R18 inflated to 300 psi. The empty weight of an F-15 is around 28,000 lbs but the maximum takeoff weight is about 68,000 lbs. These radials are designed and tested to handle these static loads as well as, at the 68,000 mark, overspeed conditions.

Yes, takeoff speeds are of the increasing type with much lateral loading mixed with normal high-speed loading. However, landing speeds begin with unusually high-speed loading mixed with extreme side loading (cross wind landings) and intense overpressures of slam-loading during impact landings (those infamous rough landings). The tread damage from landing tire friction (initial spin-up skidding from the instant of touch) has been inconsequential to the loading issues in tire failure. In essence, landing physics produce the most off-nominal loading in an aircraft tire. Today's F-15 tires (and those of the 1970's and 1980's) are tested with these extremes in mind. A normal, fully loaded, 150-knot takeoff should rarely cause a blowout, even in a wild side skid. Tire failure, during such a wild side skid, would be from tread wear-through only (assuming no tire side-impact events).

There is only the occasional story of a blowout on takeoff yet history is replete with stories of blowouts upon landings.

And, for me, no: I have not tried any other landing/takeoff tests to determine any cause. I flew on the Aerobatic Online server out of Nellis and had a takeoff blowout. I also flew a short single player takeoff out of Nellis and had a takeoff blowout. (I don't get to fly as often as most other sim pilots here. :(

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

11R18 are truck tires

AFAIK, F-15 has several different tires and several wheels depending on several factors

here is a F-15A tire.

F-15A_011.JPG

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aerosuppliesinc.com%2FCatalogue%2FNumerical%2520Chapters%2FAero%2520Supplies%2520-%2520Catalogue%2520CHAPTER%25205%2520(431-504).pdf

Now,

And, for me, no: I have not tried any other landing/takeoff tests to determine any cause.

Any one ells?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

• ED Team

I am a bit short for time at the moment, if someone can produce a short track ( as short as possible please ) showing the issue I will take a look

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

I did a couple of TO this morning.

Test Setup:

New Mission, Default Settings, TO from Runway @Nellis, Groom Lake and Tonopah.

Started with 4*Sparrow, 4*Sidewinder and 2*Fuel Tanks - no Problem Standard TO*

Same Loadout but 3*Fuel Tanks - no Problem Standard TO*

Didn´t test Max. Performance TO.

At the very last test I set Temp. to 40° C and a 10kts wind at 33ft - no Problem either

Standard TO = Stick halfway back at 120kts, Rotate at 150kts, Hold around 10° and let her fly off the Runway.

So, works for me.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a feeling it is down to a tightening of the allowable parameters rather than a bug as such.

The key to this is to keep your take off within realistic bounds. Don't go too fast before unsticking, and see if you still get issues.

If however you over speed on the ground you'll stress the tyres. Just like over stressing the airframe - at some point the wings will come off (in theory anyway, I haven't actually managed it - unlike the Israeli F-15 pilot!).

Likewise, landing may cause issues if you have an over-weight aircraft, or if your sink rate is excessive.

Personally, I think this may be a step in the right direction.

I am a bit short for time at the moment, if someone can produce a short track ( as short as possible please ) showing the issue I will take a look

:D

We need to start calling you; "The Wolf". From the movie Pulp Fiction.

You ain't got no problems [insert user name here], I'm on it. Go back in there, chill them out and wait for BIGNEWY, who should be coming directly.
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

Have had the same issue in multiplayer. But i adapted so don't have it any more if a pay attention to it.

Happened to me after the latest 1.5 update.

Armament: Full load 6 AIM120C, 1 AIM-9, 1 AIM-7

Fuel load: Full internal fuel with 2 external tanks

Take off speed when this happens: Around 200 to 250 (not always) > Also happened once on 150 when i tried to pull up to soon. (maybe the weight was longer on the wheels)

Nose position on take off: Was higher then 10 degrees. Or when i pulled up faster then normal.

On landing i had no tires blown at all yet. I land around 150 knots.

It was always the right tire that blew up. Not any of the others.

Edited by winchesterdelta1
  • Like 1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Flew the Red Flag mission tonight that I had the blown tire issues with, and followed the advice to rotate earlier. Slight back pressure at 100kts and a little more at 125 then airborne at 135. Not the most stable or smooth transition but no blown tire. Thanks for chiming in guys.

I am glad sweep was able to help. Did you use T/O trim?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Yup. I think I pulled up a little bit too much once I got airborne and almost touched down due to loss of lift. Just need to trust it to let my speed build and let it climb slowly until around 200kts or more before applying back pressure on the stick.

• ED Team
:D

We need to start calling you; "The Wolf". From the movie Pulp Fiction.

I like that idea made me lol

We really need a short track, I and the ED team have tried to reproduce with no luck

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal