I can see you, Admiral!

Cobra847

Turning a ship to better deal with incoming missiles sounds like something out of World of Warships. Could something like that even be done in World of IRL?

Of course it can be done, provided you are able to detect the Vampires ... the sooner the better.

Also, nowadays ships do have chaff dispensers and the ship will manouver to make the best use of them, jamming them, placing the countermeasures between them and the incoming missile, trying to lower their radar profile...

all the above while giving their defenses the best firing arc and % of intercept.

Edited by harm_

Cobra, this all looks great. I really like the CRT effect on the radar screen. Awesome job!

Regarding the terrain avoidance mode, particularly in this picture. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

The darker areas are terrain that's directly in front of your aircraft? Does this mean that in effect, if anything shows up on your scope in terrain avoidance mode it means there's something in your flight path? The goal should be to have a totally clear scope?

Cobra, this all looks great. I really like the CRT effect on the radar screen. Awesome job!

Regarding the terrain avoidance mode, particularly in this picture. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

The darker areas are terrain that's directly in front of your aircraft? Does this mean that in effect, if anything shows up on your scope in terrain avoidance mode it means there's something in your flight path? The goal should be to have a totally clear scope?

The dark areas are where a radar ray has hit terrain.

Think of it as a really thin horizontal cross-section of what is in front of you.

So, as you can see, I'm about to fly into a mountain, as there is terrain really close to my aircraft (bottom of the screen). The correct avoidance procedure here would be to bank right or left, and follow the clear areas.

If the screen is totally clear, you don't have anything in front of you, yes, but that is much more likely over flat terrain or far above anything else.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Think of it as a really thin horizontal cross-section of what is in front of you.

So, as you can see, I'm about to fly into a mountain, as there is terrain really close to my aircraft (bottom of the screen). The correct avoidance procedure here would be to bank right or left, and follow the clear areas.

If the screen is totally clear, you don't have anything in front of you, yes, but that is much more likely over flat terrain or far above anything else.

Understood, thanks for the response!

OK, just to make sure I (and anybody else) understood it correctly, the dark line is practically something like map contour line at the same altitude as your aircraft, right?

I attempted to draw this quick and dirty schematic to demonstrate:

attachment.php?attachmentid=154230&stc=1&d=1482943056

So the pilot of the green Viggen, flying at 250 meters (yes, I know they don't fly that high :)) is going to see the solid green line on his scope, meaning that he has to climb or turn around, otherwise he will crash. Meantime, the pilot of the red Viggen, flying at 300 m, only has to avoid those few red spots. Or am I absolutely wrong here?

EDIT: D'oh! Just noticed that I completely missed a sizeable patch of terrain with elevation of 250 just right of the aircraft. It should be painted green too, of course. For the purpose of this demonstration, please ignore it...

map.jpg.3d56731f0800b5491180124a6081fdda.jpg

Edited by Rotorhead

OK, just to make sure I (and anybody else) understood it correctly, the dark line is practically something like map contour line at the same altitude as your aircraft, right?

I attempted to draw this quick and dirty schematic to demonstrate:

attachment.php?attachmentid=154230&stc=1&d=1482943056

So the pilot of the green Viggen, flying at 250 meters (yes, I know they don't fly that high :)) is going to see the solid green line on his scope, meaning that he has to climb or turn around, otherwise he will crash. Meantime, the pilot of the red Viggen, flying at 300 m, only has to avoid those few red spots. Or am I absolutely wrong here?

EDIT: D'oh! Just noticed that I completely missed a sizeable patch of terrain with elevation of 250 just right of the aircraft. It should be painted green too, of course. For the purpose of this demonstration, please ignore it...

Exactly correct!

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I have been looking around the forums on any information about the radar but had no luck, I was wondering if there is some type of "TDC" or lock function on the radar, is there a way to set a waypoint using the radar for the BK90 or CCRP bombing? This module is looking great ������

I'm pretty sure you can yes. That info should be somewhere in the WIP manual. I haven't gotten that far into it myself yet though. :book:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180252

I have been looking around the forums on any information about the radar but had no luck, I was wondering if there is some type of "TDC" or lock function on the radar, is there a way to set a waypoint using the radar for the BK90 or CCRP bombing? This module is looking great ������

Look in the manual under 'target fix'. A radar target fix moves a target-type waypoint to the radar's look position, without changing anything else on the navigation system. (Not changing anything else is a feature. If you make a radar fix on a target and the navigation system has accumulated some error, the target fix will have the same error. The AJS-37's weapons are all INS-guided, and they take the aircraft's calculated position as the start position, so even if there's error in the calculated position, the offset from plane to target is correct, and the weapons will guide as expected.)

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Look in the manual under 'target fix'. A radar target fix moves a target-type waypoint to the radar's look position, without changing anything else on the navigation system. (Not changing anything else is a feature. If you make a radar fix on a target and the navigation system has accumulated some error, the target fix will have the same error. The AJS-37's weapons are all INS-guided, and they take the aircraft's calculated position as the start position, so even if there's error in the calculated position, the offset from plane to target is correct, and the weapons will guide as expected.)

I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions, so if you lock onto a target using your radar your INS is automatically focused on it as well? So for example if i lock onto a tank with a radar i can drop a BK90 and it will guide onto it?

You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. — Chuck Yeager

I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions, so if you lock onto a target using your radar your INS is automatically focused on it as well? So for example if i lock onto a tank with a radar i can drop a BK90 and it will guide onto it?

I don't recall whether the radar has the concept of a 'lock'. I don't think it does, from my reading of the manual. Here's what's going on, from my understanding (which may be wrong):

0. You select a target waypoint.

1. You see a target on your radar screen. You want to drop a bomb on it.

2. You pull the fix trigger to the first detent. The radar cursor appears.

3. You move the radar cursor to the desired position.

4. You pull the fix trigger to the second detent.

If you have a target waypoint selected, this moves the target waypoint, and the target waypoint alone, to the position under the radar cursor. That point will become the reference point for all weapons launches.

If your navigation system has accumulated error, that's still fine. Unguided weapons don't care, so long as you meet all the other conditions for an attack. INS-guided weapons will inherit that error, but that doesn't matter: although their perceived launch and target positions are not accurate, the bearing and range between their perceived positions and the actual positions is the same, so they will guide along that bearing to that range and still hit their targets.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

You can't really lock on anything with the PS-37/A, not in the sense you're probably thinking of. It doesn't really do the whole "follow a target" thing. What you get is raw video - a mostly unfiltered view of the radar returns, in all their greenish monochrome glory. Unlike literally every other radar system on the planet, strong returns are dark/black while the background is bright green. On this raw video display it is your job to try to figure out what returns correspond to what parts of the terrain. Finding something as small as a tank on the radar scope even at the shortest range setting is most likely exceptionally difficult - it was really designed for finding fairly large ships on open sea. There is one feature that may help with detail studies of interesting spots, though - you can set the radar to compensate the image on the scope for the aircraft's velocity, so the area on the display stays where it is while your aircraft is moving (well, until you pass the area or fly out of the radar's area of coverage).

What you should be able to do reliably with the radar scope is identify terrain features. If you see a tank column on a road with your mk 1 eyeball (or someone else - like a FAC - sees it and tells you about it) you can probably make out the road on the radar scope, and that means you can program the coordinates for the bk 90 using the radar instead of having to punch them into the computer one digit at a time. Move the cursor on the radar scope to where you want the bk 90 to go, press a button and there you go, now that point is your target waypoint and where the bk 90 will go. You can now turn the radar off, if you like. Approach the target waypoint with the appropriate weapon and master mode selected and the computer will tell you on the HUD when it's time for weapons release. The bk 90 does the rest on its own.

Now, bk 90's inertial guidance orients itself in relation to an earth-fixed geographical coordinate system (in practice, latitude/longitude), not in relation to the aircraft. The radar doesn't know anything about that coordinate system, it only knows about where that point you marked on the scope is in relation to the aircraft. However, since the aircraft's navigation system knows the aircrafts absolute position, the target's position can easily be calculated from that and the information from the radar.

You can run into problems though if you program the bk 90 with coordinates you get from someone else (or even ones that you yourself enter earlier during the flight or even in the briefing), and it turns out on launch that your navigation system has drifted from your true position. Since the bk 90's navigation system is slaved to the aircraft's during flight, any error will transfer to the weapon and it won't hit where you want. Using the radar ranging method essentially just makes the target's position "drift" exactly as much as the aircraft's navigation system has drifted.

Thank you Fishbreath and Renhanxue, what i was afraid of is the use of INS guided weapons such as RBS-15, BK-90, without preflight procedures, specifically on multiplayer PVP servers mission editors would have to edit every single mission to realize the viggen's potential, however if the radar can be used to mark a point of interest for INS guided weapons I think there isn't need for preflight data input, unless of course it's a target somewhere in the area that will be difficult to spot using the radar.

You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. — Chuck Yeager

You can't really lock on anything with the PS-37/A, not in the sense you're probably thinking of. It doesn't really do the whole "follow a target" thing. What you get is raw video - a mostly unfiltered view of the radar returns, in all their greenish monochrome glory. Unlike literally every other radar system on the planet, strong returns are dark/black while the background is bright green. On this raw video display it is your job to try to figure out what returns correspond to what parts of the terrain. Finding something as small as a tank on the radar scope even at the shortest range setting is most likely exceptionally difficult - it was really designed for finding fairly large ships on open sea. There is one feature that may help with detail studies of interesting spots, though - you can set the radar to compensate the image on the scope for the aircraft's velocity, so the area on the display stays where it is while your aircraft is moving (well, until you pass the area or fly out of the radar's area of coverage).

What you should be able to do reliably with the radar scope is identify terrain features. If you see a tank column on a road with your mk 1 eyeball (or someone else - like a FAC - sees it and tells you about it) you can probably make out the road on the radar scope, and that means you can program the coordinates for the bk 90 using the radar instead of having to punch them into the computer one digit at a time. Move the cursor on the radar scope to where you want the bk 90 to go, press a button and there you go, now that point is your target waypoint and where the bk 90 will go. You can now turn the radar off, if you like. Approach the target waypoint with the appropriate weapon and master mode selected and the computer will tell you on the HUD when it's time for weapons release. The bk 90 does the rest on its own.

Now, bk 90's inertial guidance orients itself in relation to an earth-fixed geographical coordinate system (in practice, latitude/longitude), not in relation to the aircraft. The radar doesn't know anything about that coordinate system, it only knows about where that point you marked on the scope is in relation to the aircraft. However, since the aircraft's navigation system knows the aircrafts absolute position, the target's position can easily be calculated from that and the information from the radar.

You can run into problems though if you program the bk 90 with coordinates you get from someone else (or even ones that you yourself enter earlier during the flight or even in the briefing), and it turns out on launch that your navigation system has drifted from your true position. Since the bk 90's navigation system is slaved to the aircraft's during flight, any error will transfer to the weapon and it won't hit where you want. Using the radar ranging method essentially just makes the target's position "drift" exactly as much as the aircraft's navigation system has drifted.

I suspect the enemy airfield would be identifiable on radar if one wanted to send some friendly Bk90's over !