It's a Long Road!

Cobra847

or...a manual! :-)

Intel Core i7-4770K - ASUS Maximus VI Formula, Socket-1150 - Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400MHz 16GB - NVIDIA GTX1080Ti - Eizo 27" LED FlexScan EV2736W-BK, 2560x1440 (Processor, graphiccard and MOS-FET custom watercooled)

I have no idea just how long a road it has been for you all Cobra. We do appreciate the hard work the Leatherneck has put into your products!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

I am not complaining or judging, I am just glad Cobra is not a chef. :lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It started out as a hobby project back in 2012, leatherneck got impressed and they were absorbed into the team sometime later. Our community even flew a super early alpha a few times.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much more than the pictures on the left when they started in 2012. Great job!

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

I'm astonished that someone actually made a high fidelity rendition of the Viggen, for a flighsimulator... It beggars belief!

I mean, it's not an aircraft that will have a huge fan base.

Which only means it's not a strictly commercial endeavour... It must be something of a labour of love.

And now it's less than a month away.

Somebody pinch me! :)

Sometimes, having something that is not the 'thing of the week' can be a good thing. This 'flight simming thing' that we all do is such a small market that, I believe, a successful company (which, in this market, Leatherneck qualifies as) can introduce a product that might not be a cash cow but can still be successful.

There is also the fact, as someone else mentioned, that the people involved might just have a passion for that aircraft. It's not like we have not seen that from other 3rd parties, including the original offering from LNS, for that matter.

To beat my point to death, I will reference a band that I saw last night. They are a Talking Heads cover band. They are very good and every single one of them has quite a bit of talent. I have no doubt that everyone involved could be making more money doing something different in the music industry. However, they have an affinity with TH music and so that is what they do, and have been doing for almost ten years now, from what I can gather.

This is the difference between working for a living, and living for the working. I spent most of my life doing the latter, and it is much more satisfying, even when it pays less.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As much as I do agree with you Goblin, I must also say that fans on the forums have helped a lot to spread information and promote this fine bird.

That's the least we can do! ;)

Sometimes, having something that is not the 'thing of the week' can be a good thing. This 'flight simming thing' that we all do is such a small market that, I believe, a successful company (which, in this market, Leatherneck qualifies as) can introduce a product that might not be a cash cow but can still be successful.

There is also the fact, as someone else mentioned, that the people involved might just have a passion for that aircraft. It's not like we have not seen that from other 3rd parties, including the original offering from LNS, for that matter.

Absolutely! Don't get me wrong. I do believe that the Viggen module will be successful.

My point is that if you want to be sure of a lot of sales and make a module that promotes itself, you don't do a Viggen. You do a F-16 or F-18 or something like that.

But as you say, several external developers seem to be making modules that pleases them.

And, if you make a really good module of any aircraft, it will attract flightsimmers, and that will increase the popularity of the module and attract even more people.

I'm interested in the Viggen especially because it's not an F-16 or F-18. They have been done to death, I can't see them anymore. I need something new in my life, and I'm finding it here! :)

Also I think the Viggen will profit from it being the first of its role in DCS (see the popularity of the Mirage 2000). It might have a harder time if there was already a say Tornado in the game.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

In some ways, even if I can't understand why everyone in the flight sim community isn't a first day buy on the Viggen, it will still be a sales tease for the F14 and American market. The reputation of LNS exists because of the fabulous Mig-21BiS. The Viggen clearly is another child of love and the stage is set for future more varied choices, although I suspect, the market is quite cruel and F14 woudl sell more casual copies just by its reputation.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Really puts it in perspective how long and how much work goes into these modules. Thanks for sharing. But i will be honest im holding off on buying this module as im very curious how well these new weapon systems will actually function in the dcs environment.

Currently damage and weapons modeling especially in the cluster munitions department really needs new life. Hope this is taken care of with the viggen otherwise its a wait and see at this point.

After all, all these air frames are just infill platforms for weapon systems, thus hoping for more than health bars on ships and the lot....

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

This is indeed the Perfect time for the AJS 37 as well.

Since first it will get all the users that have any interest in the Viggen what so ever.

But since its also the first Fast attack aircaft (Supersonic with a dedicated strike role and guided air-ground munitions) it will likely get plenty of sales from there.

Then it also has Anti-ship functionality and the air-ground radar which might also interest some people.

So all in all the Viggen is bringing so many features to the game that no other aircraft available has that it will likely cause alot of people to try it for those features alone.

Atleast untill some other aircraft with those features come along and by that point they might be hooked already ^^.

If any number of other Fast Attack/Strike aircraft had been in the game

(Sepecat jaguar/Tornado/Su-17/22/Mig-27 or multirole aircraft like the F-4/F-16/F/A-18 etc) then i think less people

(those who are not interested in the Viggen itself but rather the features it brings)

would get the Viggen but since the Viggen is first then anybody who wants those features and abilities are likely to buy it.

Edited by mattebubben