Future fractured community

winchesterdelta1

I'm kind of worried about the DCS community with all these extra maps and asset packs. The community is being fractured now cause at the end only a few will have all the maps and asset packs that are about to come out. They are making a small community even smaller by cutting them in pieces. DCS maps should come with a big DLC update or something for a extra 20 Euro's. And the map tools should be released for the public so they can make their own addon maps for free like in ARMA 3.

Cause right n ow it will look like that in 4 years we will have 10 extra maps for 50 Euro's each. And 3 different carriers you have to buy. So everybody will have a different game. Only a limited amount of people will have all those 10 maps and extra assets. This will especially be felt in Multiplayer. I already warned before of this fracturing of the community because of this. I personally think they should concentrate on Modules and let the assets and maps be community addons unless ED makes assets and maps to add to the vanilla game as a cheap update/DLC. I'm not able to buy Nevada for a freaking 50 Euro's and then Normandy as well. I have and others have to carefully choose where to spend our money. IF this was a super big community this would not even be that bad.

But as example lets take 104th.. When DCS will be merged into 2.5 they probably going to cycle maps. I will bet that every map cycle different then the vanilla map will cause 20 people to drop every time.

I fear at the end that 20 players will be on this map, 20 other on some other map and of those 40 players 15 of them will not have one of the asset packs or Carriers. SO at the end you will be playing with 15 players online and some of your friends can't play cause they are not that rich that they can keep buying maps, modules and assets.

Maybe just make DCS World a only single player game.. The net code is crap anyway, It can't even handle hundreds of assets on the map without crapping out on a server with 50 players or more. And when a couple scripts run it will get even more unstable.

• Like 1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

I think that adding more content that broadens this sim also makes new people finding it. And even more might convert from other sims to this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki

I think you're looking at this in the wrong light. The community isn't being fractured at all, yes some will have more maps than others but unlike Battlefield or Call of Duty style multiplayer DCS maps tend not to cycle so frequently. Players will also tend towards servers where there are other players; no point playing the new map if there's no one on it!

As for all DLC for 20 Euros, if ED adopted that policy I don't think we'd see many more maps in the near future! A lot of work goes into the maps and modules, they need to sell them at a price that pays for the cost of making them.

DCS World is already a single player game AND also multiplayer. No one is being forced to go online, there is plenty to enjoy offline. And if you do go online don't feel you'll be left behind by not having all of the maps and DLC, I'm sure you'll find plenty of other players still playing the maps that you have.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I agree to an extent..

My main concern is the selling of normandy map and assets separately. There seems to be no good reason to do this at all, from a monetary or gameplay perspective.

For Normandy to be at all realistic or to make sense, you are going to want to purchase those units.

If you are playing any other map, the modern buildings etc will make those units being present make 0 sense and you will find few if anyone uses them there.

I don't see the logic at all at selling these separated. The world war 2 units should be a free sim upgrade, and Normandys price should be increased to reflect the development time.

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

I actually like the current situation as I don't see a problem with it :)

There is no map rotation in DCS MP like in other games, so I don't see an issue if you don't own all maps. Just play on the maps you like and own. The community is already fractured to some degree in certain groups and that has nothing to do with EDs marketing policy. Some poeple are just into other stuff than otthers (e.g. WW2 <-> modern). I see that as a good thing, because I always hated the DCS MP for just throwing all things in one mission (e.g. on the 104th server). I hope this leads to more focused and realistic scenarios for MP missions.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I agree to an extent..

My main concern is the selling of normandy map and assets separately. There seems to be no good reason to do this at all, from a monetary or gameplay perspective.

For Normandy to be at all realistic or to make sense, you are going to want to purchase those units.

If you are playing any other map, the modern buildings etc will make those units being present make 0 sense and you will find few if anyone uses them there.

I don't see the logic at all at selling these separated. The world war 2 units should be a free sim upgrade, and Normandys price should be increased to reflect the development time.

pretty much this.

Yet another good thing would be a map editor, that people can add new portions of the world for free, or get google or terrain data from other ressources and make a map out of it, without fracturing the community.

Further this would help get some more 3rd party devs to DCS, since some have concers about beeing mostly Caucasus only. And ED could focus more on their core engine damage model and everything else...

Have a nice day!

The fracturing of the community is the only concern I have with all of this. With the amount of work it takes, they can't give the maps away, and selling maps fractures the community, but now an asset pack as well?

I was thinking about this... Which is better? 1. Sell all WW2 maps at a premium price since they include these assets. 2. Sell assets separately so that people only have to pay for them once and sell the maps for less (this gives people the option). 3. Wait until they actually have additional WW2 maps then present these assets as separate purchases (assuming more WW2 maps will be coming out).

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I actually like the current situation as I don't see a problem with it :)

There is no map rotation in DCS MP like in other games, so I don't see an issue if you don't own all maps. Just play on the maps you like and own. The community is already fractured to some degree in certain groups and that has nothing to do with EDs marketing policy. Some poeple are just into other stuff than otthers (e.g. WW2 <-> modern). I see that as a good thing, because I always hated the DCS MP for just throwing all things in one mission (e.g. on the 104th server). I hope this leads to more focused and realistic scenarios for MP missions.

Exactly this. Which is why selling the Normandy map and assets separately is also a good thing, so those who want a new map but aren't into WWII can buy it and save some money on not getting assets they don't want! It's all about choice as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: also being debated here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=163427&page=153

Edited by Tone71

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Exactly this. Which is why selling the Normandy map and assets separately is also a good thing, so those who want a new map but aren't into WWII can buy it and save some money on not getting assets they don't want! It's all about choice as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: also being debated here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=163427&page=153

But why would anyone want to fly modern aircraft and helicopters in a map set in World War 2? If I buy a WW2 map I'd do that to fly WW2 aircraft and WW2 missions not to play some weird "Final Countdown"-ish scenario with F-16s and MiG-29s dogfighting in WW2-era France.