Default Cockpit View Problem

hughlb

I recently purchased a 42.5 inch 4K monitor (same as Wags). Whilst the monitor is impressive, it further highlights a criticism I've long had with the default cockpit camera position.

By default, the camera is over the control stick in many aircraft, more noticeable in the A-10, F-15 and Spitfire, which looks ridiculous on a 42 inch monitor. Thankfully ED have included the RShift+RCtrl+* or / buttons to track the camera forwards or backwards, but when this happens the HUD doesn't scale, meaning it doesn't fit on the glass properly (see images below).

People have said, "that's easy, just zoom out using the * or / buttons". The problem with zooming, is that changes the focal length of the virtual camera, so when you zoom out, you also get a fish-eye effect the further you zoom. This is just as bad to fly with as the default camera position

The camera forwards and back controls works great, but is there a scaling HUD size algorithm that can be married to this function, to make it actually usable?

Default camera position - smack bang against the panel

attachment.php?attachmentid=167069&stc=1&d=1502114836

The camera tracked fully back - absolutely brilliant on 4K 42 inch monitor - I can read every button clearly, have great cockpit usability and situational awareness, but I can only see half the HUD at best.

attachment.php?attachmentid=167070&stc=1&d=1502114836

4k_normal_view.thumb.jpg.16988382848eb590cc2f93d4fb264174.jpg

4k_cam_moved_back.thumb.jpg.1d182a5208ecfb7d8992a538dc855813.jpg

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can go into your configuration file and change your default snap view, make your pilot taller or shorter, etc. There's a great write up here on how to do it, made the A10 so much better gorgeous me.

6D80k38.jpg

You can go into your configuration file and change your default snap view, make your pilot taller or shorter, etc. There's a great write up here on how to do it, made the A10 so much better gorgeous me.

Does that also scale the HUD correctly?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does that also scale the HUD correctly?

No it's fixed forever…

Don't know why it affects the F-15 and A-10 only, not the russian fighters. Someone told me that the A-10's HUD is naturally too large to fit entirely in the glass.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Someone told me that the A-10's HUD is naturally too large to fit entirely in the glass.

Anyone got a VR rig ?

I don't or I'd check, but I think there's something else going on as well.

If you think about how we have parallax on our eyes*, if your right eye sees something at the left edge of the HUD your left eye might not see it at all, but you'd still 'see it', while your left eye might see the symbols on the right of the HUD though your right can't, but the end result will be that your brain sees all the HUD though each eye only sees part of it (though most is seen by both).

In DCS you only have 1 eye, so have a smaller useful view of the HUD than a person would.

(*put your index finger straight up half way between your eyes and this text & read the text. One eye sees part of the text blocked by the finger, and the other sees a different part blocked - try alternately closing one eye then the other - but your brain gets the text as a readable whole)

• Like 1

Cheers.

My hope is that now wags and I have the same monitor - it will drive him crazy too, to the point of a fix ;) on a related note, the Hornet looks to have its camera positioned further back in the cockpit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

A HUD scale slider in the individual aircraft settings would really be the best way to go IMO. Then everyone could adapt it to their own setup.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

guys guys guys...... this is not rocket science

first, pause your trackir

then, RCTRL+RSHIFT + NumPad / and NumPad * (forward slash and asterick)

and then NP / and NP * (alone - un-shifted etc)

just play with those and make the view the way you like it

then - when you're all set... RALT NumPad 0 "saves" that view as your default view

(( until DCS decides it isn't - then you have to do it all over again, thus my post.... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190591 ))

Edited by SDsc0rch

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

one other thing.. being zoomed way out so you see the whole canopy bow and instrument panel may seem nice and "look" good to you, but you're not helping yourself to actually see small jets out there - once you're within ten miles, you NEED to be tally, and when you're all zoomed out like that, everything gets smaller - everything that's already small and hard to see , you're making even smaller and even harder to see!

(some of y'all better keep your pants on!lol)

here's the default view i use.. https://youtu.be/7IOStqsB4e0

in that vid i'm demonstrating "dotwars" where you see objects (ALL objects - parachutes, droptanks, missiles, and aircraft - fighters and tankers alike) at 37nm - something i find incredibly annoying and strikingly unrealistic ------ that was in 1.5.7 -- today i was in 2.1.whatever-is-the-latest and it seemed like i was getting the dot at 32nm

but my overall point is.. you can actually SEE things (dangerous things - things that want to kill virtual-you) if you have a decent default view

i don't have no mercy for yo narra whi' arse if you wanna be super zoomed out and then you whine that can't see a jet at 8miles...

Edited by SDsc0rch

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would also like a zoom function that didn't mess with the FOV, so zooming wouldn't warp the cockpit

How could that possibly work? You can't have one without the other.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How could that possibly work? You can't have one without the other.

Agreed, people keep getting confused between camera tracking and camera zooming. Camera tracking - the whole camera moves position physically, camera zooming - the camera stays in the same location, but the lens elements reposition - zooming adjusts your field of view, the wider you go, the more distortion. Tracking keeps your field of view the same, but you can see more cockpit when you track back because the panel is then further away from the camera.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Agreed, people keep getting confused between camera tracking and camera zooming. Camera tracking - the whole camera moves position physically, camera zooming - the camera stays in the same location, but the lens elements reposition - zooming adjusts your field of view, the wider you go, the more distortion. Tracking keeps your field of view the same, but you can see more cockpit when you track back because the panel is then further away from the camera.

well said

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
guys guys guys...... this is not rocket science

first, pause your trackir

then, RCTRL+RSHIFT + NumPad / and NumPad * (forward slash and asterick)

and then NP / and NP * (alone - un-shifted etc)

just play with those and make the view the way you like it

then - when you're all set... RALT NumPad 0 "saves" that view as your default view

(( until DCS decides it isn't - then you have to do it all over again, thus my post.... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190591 ))

This only puts your head more to the front or to the back of the cockpit. It would be a solution to get a good view with a 3 monitor setup e.g. without zooming out all the way but the HUD is still a problem. A HUD scaling option would be very useful!

yuLuKul.jpg

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.