really bad trim

thrustvector

i don't like asking this as I'm sure there must be something I missed, but my trim (pitch) is really bad. i.e take off, doesn't matter if loaded or not, I need to hold the nose up for around 20 secs to achieve level flight, constantly holding the stick up to avoid a crash.

if I set the nose wheel to zero then that's even worse.

looking outside, you can see the wing trims are down from start.

if I get a flight where I start in the air then I need to fight with it till I can trim her up and fly.

must be something I have either set wrong or not doing?

The Viggen trim is indeed a bit weird as it increases incrementally as you keep the button pressed. So it starts changing slowly and changes faster the longer you keep the button pressed. That's the theory at least, but I think sometimes it doesn't work as it should.

Anyways, you do know that there is an indicator for pitch trim in the cockpit? If not, then you can find it below your taxi light switch. You can trim between -10 and +10. So take a look at that when you adjust your trim to see what it actually does. If you set the trim at around 3° nose up (depends a bit on your loadout) you should be able to take off just fine with just a gentle pull on the stick when the takeoff indicator tells you to rotate.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

yea I use the indicator, just thought I was maybe missing something, as it never seems to increase in speed, I mean 20 secs for example is loooong time :), it seems to end up around 5-6 deg in normal flight

The speed seems kinda bugged to me. Sometimes it goes really slow, just as you described and sometimes it goes really fast. :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Never had problems with the trim myself. But i noticed that the trim is much faster in 1.5.8 OB for me compared to 2.2 OA.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Also, the trim slows down with slower framerates which is also a DCS issue.

I can confirm what JanTelefon is writing here.

On my laptop it is absolutely terribly slow (10 seconds for 1 degree change, at 20 frames per second).

On my supercomputer it is working a bit too fast for my taste (as I am going on 140 frames per second at setting "HIGH"). Sorry :D

Kind regards,

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

how do you see your fps?

lcontrol+pause (pause button on keyboard)

if not, look at the controls you can assign to it.

edit:lol sniped.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Left CTRL+PAUSE key

Double-sniped. I'm getting old :D

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

• 5 weeks later...

For me the pitch trim doesn't work well. It's super super slow, no matter what.

It's literally 30 seconds holding for the 3° nose up.

I also don't see the need for the incremental increase. Might just program it like the other AC. I mean, I get the idea for other instruments like the altimeter QFE knob. But the trim doesn't need it imo.

looking outside, you can see the wing trims are down from start.

That’s not trim, per se. It’s an auto droop function. The main wing elevons droop down 4˚ when canard flaps are down, to counteract the pitch up moment of the canard flaps.

after take off, build some speed and then just start the autopilot, turn it off to autotrim in a sec

While that is of course true, it doesn't help in some other situations. You need to trim for takeoff and you need to constantly trim in the landing approach.

You should not fly the landing approach only by hand, pilots usually trim the aircraft constantly for landing.

It's not a big problem of course, but it should be addressed for a final release.

I flew in 1.5 only before (that is where my comments on the first page are based on), but now with 2.5 I have the same issue: The pitch trim is always suuuuuuuuuuuuuper slow. I have to keep it pressed for at least 30 seconds for 1° of pitch. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I fly in VR and have a couple of issues.

First off, my Viggen is always rolling to the left.

No matter what loadout I have. No matter if Autopilot is engaged or not. No matter if i Trim.

Always rolling left. If I apply too much trim, it starts to rapidly spiral to the right. there is no middle ground.

Second issue is the collimator sight.

It's impossible to spot any targets in it in VR. Even if you know exacly where they are.

And even worse. If you close your left eye, the sight is on your right eye - and if you close your right eye, the sight is on the left eye.

There seemes to be no way to align either of your eyes with the sight.

And trying to use both eyes to look into the sight is a no go.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

I fly in VR and have a couple of issues.

First off, my Viggen is always rolling to the left.

No matter what loadout I have. No matter if Autopilot is engaged or not. No matter if i Trim.

Always rolling left. If I apply too much trim, it starts to rapidly spiral to the right. there is no middle ground.

Second issue is the collimator sight.

It's impossible to spot any targets in it in VR. Even if you know exacly where they are.

And even worse. If you close your left eye, the sight is on your right eye - and if you close your right eye, the sight is on the left eye.

There seemes to be no way to align either of your eyes with the sight.

And trying to use both eyes to look into the sight is a no go.

The rolling problem sounds like there might be an issue with your roll axis assignment. I recommend you check your roll axis (cuves, deadzones, ...).

Collimator sight is off topic in this thread. Please take it here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191010

Tornado3 small.jpg