Detached wings on Mig21-bis

EmilDamian

Hello,

In the training missions of MiG-21bis (I'm using Oculus CV1), the cockpit is open.

I can take a look back and see that the right wing is not connected to the aircraft body.

The same thing during flight.

Any one having this issue?

If I stand up the whole rendering is completely broken but I can accept that is not a normal position.

But as a pilot, seeing the detached wings during flight, broke the thin immersion (already too difficult to keep in VR on normal hardware).

Can someone else confirm the issue?

Thank you,

EmilD

002.thumb.jpg.5700471b3618df24780f50bd7c0d261a.jpg

003.thumb.jpg.b7ff5290381885e1ddfda5e9eb1afb93.jpg

004.thumb.jpg.3e26e68206adf76769562a2c2c84c6b5.jpg

i7-8770K @5GHZ , Asus Strix GTX 1080, 32 GB Ram DDR4 3200, Samsung EVO 960 NVME, Samsung EVO 850 SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle, Rudders

Oculus Rift CV1

Well, Mig21-bis it's the only plane in my inventory with this problem...

i7-8770K @5GHZ , Asus Strix GTX 1080, 32 GB Ram DDR4 3200, Samsung EVO 960 NVME, Samsung EVO 850 SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Oculus Rift CV1

Well, Mig21-bis it's the only plane in my inventory with this problem...

You can see it in the Viggen if you look out far enough and down the intakes, the MiG-15 has got some spots which look funny if you contort yourself in a particular way too.

The 21 had fairly poor FPS performance before this so I'll take it

You are not supposed to see these areas, as they are on purpose done like this, in order to minimze the performance hit. But because it is VR, you can see these areas.

+1.

Probably the performance gain in this case is barely noticeable but still it's a correct approach to use a truncated 3D model.

Something that should be understood is that the in the cockpit view does not use the same model as seen in the external - F2/F3 views.

It uses another model with a really simplified representation of the airframe, for the most part having a mesh only for surfaces which can be seen when strapped in the cockpit. I didn’t check the models but I wouldn’t be surprised if most of us are landing without the wheels :lol:

The bottom line, the model should stay as it is while the root problem is the ability to stick the head out of the cockpit in unnatural way.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Yup it's one of the first things I noticed when I started flying the MiG-21, since I tend to look over my shoulder to see the flight surface movements during the start-up procedure.

I agree it is a problem that while in-flight you can stick your head through the canopy, but at least when the canopy is open during start-up this breaks immersion :-(

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

^ I understand, BUT in the real -21 there's no way you would be able to see the ailerons either (speaking from personal experience of sitting in one in the museum), at least not without unstrapping yourself and standing in the cockpit. So attempting to do it in VR is even less realistic and immersion-breaking :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

So detaching the wings from the fuselage save me power for another x FPS.

But I still have enough power to render hundreds of cockpit shiny switches, some of them not implemented. They should be rendered because are important.

I'm not complaining about the wheels, I don't see them.

But please, render the wings correctly, they are important.

Look at the RAZBAM planes. A joy to look at... No complaints there.

Edited by EmilDamian

Oculus Rift CV1

So detaching the wings from the fuselage save me power for another x FPS.

But I still have enough power to render hundreds of cockpit shiny switches, some of them not implemented. They should be rendered because are important.

I'm not complaining about the wheels, I don't see them.

But please, render the wings correctly, they are important.

Look at the RAZBAM planes. A joy to look at... No complaints there.

They have the same system with optimising, as everyone. Only issue here is that you would not be able to stick your head out of the canopy as you do it.

EDIT: you also need to understand that a few switches have less polys than a whole wing + fuselage and less texturework, which also decreases your performance.