My New Rig

Well I went and splurged a couple of weeks ago and bought a new Computer.

Took a break from Lock On and finally got it running again yesterday.

Most of us mortals decided mirrors are just too resource hungry to run. Well not any more.

Check out this screen shot with the FRAPS counter in the top left.

Mirrors on high res, flying low over Tuapse in a MiniWar map which has hundreds of objects in it.

download image here.

3DMark06 Score 10739 3DMarks

CPU: Intel® Core2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz

MoBo: INTEL D975XBX2

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

RAM: 2GIG 667MHz

Yup, that's sweet. that's my goal wit my future rig. (well, maybe not the 8800GTX at this time, maybe later)

Nice rig though, and lockon should be even more enjoyable now.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

whats the difference btwn the GTS and the GTX?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Yeah OC these C2D is unreal. I read of people running them at like 85C!!!

Supposedly the core temp sensor is built into the chip, so unless you give it a sudden increase in temp that it cant react to... it will shutdown.

Mine runs at 55C full load @ 3.2GHz, I may try higher soon.

I get about the same FPS with my 7900GTX, but I get the 8800GTX is sure nice in other games, like ArmA. I think im gonna wait to see what ATi comes out with though. They seem to handle shaders/particles better, and lock on really drops the FPS when a lot of particles are around. + Rumors of 8900.

Wow that's awesome!

Ice, what fov are you using. Is that default or zoomed out?

It's nice to be able to see the RWR all in one screen like that. I know I can zoom out but how do you set it like that as default and what values? Thanks

You don't have any AA or AF enabled ?

Anyway, the E6600 I've o/c-ed to 3GHz runs at about 6°C above ambient temperature, something like 34/35°C maybe up to 36°C idle or under load. I see maybe a 1/2°C increase when playing lock on.

The motheboard is bit hotter though... it runs at about 41/42°C idle and I think about 45/46°C under load...

No longer active in DCS...

well the thing that matters the most is the minimum framerate... I haven't actually ever tried running this CPU at its default speed as I overclocked it to 3GHz straight away and have it like that in everyday use, but from my assumptions and things other have tried and proved it... the increase in CPU clock in percentage is directly proportional to LockOn minimum frame rate simply because the CPU is the limiting factor (unless you have other components in your system much slower and not matching the rest of the system, like for example, a really outdated video card)

I still get down to low 20's when I fly over large cities... and sadly in A-10 and Su-25T the TV screen/MFD when using TV/Laser guided weapons make even more of an impact on frame rate... so it's all a bit of a trade off.

No longer active in DCS...

The only thing that bothers me is your mobo choice :( Why not get an EVGA or BFG with an Nvidia chipset ? Now youll have to change it if you ever plan on going SLI.

Frank that might not be totally true..

I'm personally running an Asus Commando with the intel P965 chipset..

this particular board has included a Nvidia nForce 680i SLI support installation DVD...

So its possible that he'll be able to actually use SLI... Although running a Geforce 8800 GTX is all you need...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Frank that might not be totally true..

I'm personally running an Asus Commando with the intel P965 chipset..

this particular board has included a Nvidia nForce 680i SLI support installation DVD...

So its possible that he'll be able to actually use SLI... Although running a Geforce 8800 GTX is all you need...

~S~

Blaze

I dont know maybe your right but i definetly remember Nvidia saying SLI was only compatible with Nvidia chipsets for the moment as non-Nvidia motherboards didnt even come with SLI cables...nor do the cards the cable comes with the mobo only.

Wow that's awesome!

Ice, what fov are you using. Is that default or zoomed out?

It's nice to be able to see the RWR all in one screen like that. I know I can zoom out but how do you set it like that as default and what values? Thanks

That wasnt Default, I zoomed it out manually b4 taking the screenshot.

Im overclocking my 2.66 to 3.08 at the moment. (thats just the CPU)

Later when DDR800 RAM drops in price I'll pick some up. but right now I'm happy with the performance I'm getting.

Thats real nice man.

My "official" next upgrade is still 12 months away.

Probably still get it before BS ;)

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939, Motherboard Abit AV8, Corsair DDR PC3200 - 4 x 512 MB

ASUS AX800Pro Flashed to X800 XT, Samsung CD/DVDRW, Seagate 2 x SATA 250G RAID, Creative Soundblaster XFi Xtreme music, Trackir 3 Pro, Saitek X52 Pro, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

The C2D's are amazing... I just put an e6400 to 3.5Ghz and what it does for Lomac is awesome... as was stated it's all about the minimum.

I went with a 965, the Nvidia chipsets are LIKELY to perform well and stably, but statistically I wouldn't take the chance. My Intel Asus board (P5B-D) has documented problems with pci-e link going to x1 over certain FSB's, JMicron problems (what board doesnt?,) and some others but they're far and few between....

Keep faith on the competition front, although nothing conclusive, AMD hasn't been resting it seems. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2939

That wasnt Default, I zoomed it out manually b4 taking the screenshot.

Im overclocking my 2.66 to 3.08 at the moment. (thats just the CPU)

Later when DDR800 RAM drops in price I'll pick some up. but right now I'm happy with the performance I'm getting.

Thanks Ice,

Any noticeable gains going from 2.66 to 3.08?