VOR navigation

Alfredson007

Rather than just googling my butt off i am looking answer from here...

So, can the Hornet do a VOR navigation, ie. can i manually enter the frequency for a any given VOR station, or am i limited to TACAN beacons? I am a newbie with TACAN, if tacan has X, like 67X, does it mean that i'll use X presets, and 16Y would mean Y, so there are no other letters than X or Y in TACAN?

Thanks !

Rather than just googling my butt off i am looking answer from here...

So, can the Hornet do a VOR navigation, ie. can i manually enter the frequency for a any given VOR station, or am i limited to TACAN beacons? I am a newbie with TACAN, if tacan has X, like 67X, does it mean that i'll use X presets, and 16Y would mean Y, so there are no other letters than X or Y in TACAN?

Yes 65X means that you will use X presets and 16Y would mean Y.

Iirc X is for airbases and carriers and Y is for airplanes (tanker).

Please have a look for the ADF (VOR) & TACAN academic video from Wags:

Idea :) Many Foreign users of the Hornet (RAAF,RCAF,Spanish,Finnish and Blue Angeles) have VOR and civilian ILS as part of their FA18 Nav suite. How about having this option under the FA18 Special tab in settings.

Not so sure the method in the tutorial is possible IRL. Given how a VOR station generates bearing info I don't think you can VHF DF a VOR signal. IRL (many many moons ago) you couldn't even dial up a VOR frequency by way of the UFC using the Com pull button ad Manual freq setting as VOR frequencies were inhibited from UFC entry by this method. Trying to enter a VOR freq resulted in "ERROR" being displayed in the UFC scratchpad

RAAF FA18's had dedicated VOR/ILS equipment. In the RAAF aeroplanes to tune a VOR or ILS station you pressed the UFC ILS mode button. The UFC then initialized to enter VOR or ILS localiser frequency.

RAAFVOR1.jpg

RAAFVOR2.jpg

RAAFVOR4.jpg

Having this option on the Special tab in settings for the FA18 would be neat and realistic as well :)

Edited by IvanK

• 2 months later...
Idea :) Many Foreign users of the Hornet (RAAF,RCAF,Spanish,Finnish and Blue Angeles) have VOR and civilian ILS as part of their FA18 Nav suite. How about having this option under the FA18 Special tab in settings.

you left out swiss hornets ? ;)

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I know, was already told by Wags on Facebook. Very disappointing.

1. They've mentioned multiple times it's a USN hornet they're modeling.

2. PG is the only map with more than 2 VOR stations, and even then you generally have enough tacan coverage.

3. There's no navigational difference between a VOR/DME and TACAN, they do the same thing. Only difference is how they work, and that doesn't matter in the plane

4. You can drop a waypoint on the station