Water in the air intake? (real operation)

nachomaga

Not sure if this procedure has disscused before, but anyone know what is the purpose of pour water in the intake (I suppose is water)? Just for cooling down?

Or is the italo-american way to add water in the engine instead the switch? ;)

Full article here, interesting btw:

https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/30/italian-navy-av-8b-harrier-jet-deploys-aboard-wasp-class-amphibious-assault-ship-uss-iwo-jima/

AV-8-Iwo-Jima-flight-deck.jpg?ssl=1

I would suggest this is a simple way of washing out the salt from the fan area. Water won’t be making it into the engine core if the engine is running.

A proper engine wash is usually piped in through a Port/Tap/Valve so it can get into the compressor/hot section and often includes a chemical wash.

Edited by (C/229) Kiwi

Looking at the flow of water out the cold nozzle and the lack of water out the hot nozzle I would say the engine is running. A dry crank would not produce that much airflow.

Having spent some considerable time standing on, in and lying under Harriers while they are operating, I must respectfully disagree.

If that engine was running, the guy with the hose would be on the way to a really bad headache. :huh:

Ya, they are just windmilling the motor to get rid of the salt and other crud that is built up. Some aircraft have special attachments that attach right on the intake and spray detergent then wash it out with water. It's not just Harriers they do this to.

Edited by walleye62

good info here, thank you

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle