leapMotion implementation possibility

Kariyann71

On 8/19/2018 at 10:06 PM, Kariyann71 said:

Just installed DCLeap, it works moving mouse pointer with reverse axis... Where we can invert?
Thanks

[2nd June EDIT]

New version 1.20 :

https://github.com/kariyann/DCLeap/tree/master/DCLeap/LatestRelease

Recoded knob function

Degug Log function

Kneeboard feature (advise you to download this https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad)

Now compatible with Oculus, you’ve to force SteamVR with the --force_steam_vr command line

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.  I'm not sure whereabouts to start asking questions so I thought I'd start here.  I wanted to try the leap motion out, but I'm stuck at getting it to even work in steamVr, which is what I thought was going to be the easy part!?  It works on it's own for the visualizer, Orion I think, on my Reverb.  But as I understand it, I have to add the new github drivers to a leap folder in steamVR, and add lines to the steamvrsettings.cfg or something and that's where my question comes from.  I've edited that file numerous times and steamVR seems to rewrite it every time it starts up again.  I'm not a programmer and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Any suggestions or videos for set up with Quest 2 and Leap controller?

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

I haven't used LeapMotion with the Quest 2, but since the Quest 2, but I have used the Quest 2 and Rift S with DCS World. The Quest 2 uses the same Oculus software as the Rift S, so the procedure for using LeapMotion with the Quest 2 should be the same for the Rift S. I had LeapMotion working as well as it could with my hardware setup and Rift S. The key is that you have to force SteamVR when running DCS. You should be able to search the forums on several ways to achieve this, which basically comes down to starting DCS World with a command line option to force SteamVR or using a 3rd party tool that will automatically force SteamVR through a graphical interface that lets you select that option. 

LeapMotion has its own software that you have to get working with SteamVR per their directions. Then you need to install other free software that helps integrate LeapMotion into SteamVR controllers. I don't remember all the details, but you should be able to find the information you need in these forum posts, as I once did before giving up on LeapMotion as too high of a performance cost and too low of accuracy and reliability. It looked cool when it worked, but the tracking camera needs the hands to be in a certain spot at certain angles to track them effectively. I found that when I reached down low or too far left or too far right, it was hard to activate the desired control but easy to accidently activate a nearby control such as canopy jettison. If there were more cameras to cross correlate the positions and gestures of hands and I had a PC strong enough to run LeapMotion and supporting software without dropping DCS performance, it could work exceptionally well.

It turns out the Point Ctrl you can buy through these forums provides me with something much closer to what I hoped to get from LeapMotion: hand tracking with mouse like precision and accuracy. I made the mistake of waiting for the Point Ctrl V2 when I could have been using V1 for so much longer. Point Ctrl has the performance cost of a USB mouse: virtually none. Once calibrated, it is almost as accurate and fast as a mouse. Maybe some day hand tracking will advance enough to make Point Ctrl obsolete, but until then Point Ctrl is my go to  device for operating cockpit controls with minimal effort, performance penalty, speed, and precision.

But since you have LeapMotion, get it working in SteamVR, then get DCS World to force SteamVR when starting up and enjoy a glimpse of what hand tracking is going to bring to VR. When it works correctly, it is the ultimate in immersion to just use your hands.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tigger6 said:

Note that LeapMotion released new generation of drivers this winter that made tracking pretty much perfect as far as I can see. (In their app, I suspect it might have broken the steamvr interface somehow..)

Tried it a couple of months back with those new drivers.. the tracking is amazing in their test app.. and I got really excited... until I got into SteamVR. Put the leap back in the box, box on the shelf, and haven't touched it since.

It is sad that ED didn't add the LeapMotion support years ago. Then the device was worth 20 € and everyone could have got one cheaply.

It would have been enough to have just the index fingertips recognized as a mouse cursor and then the pinch for grabbing knobs, levers, dials and switches and operate them moving corresponding direction. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm trying it now. In the video examples you can see the hands, but not the controllers. I can see either hands + controllers in SteamVR (hands move fine, controllers very bad), or controllers alone (super bad). What do I do to see hands only? It seems like hands only could actually be useful.

Latest info from BIGNEWY, they are working on native support in DCS at some point in time. The LeapC.dll is already in the bin folder (maybe for XTAL HMD)...

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Thats great news. I received the leap motion module for my pimax. But it seems like the dcsLeap module does not support the pimax. Did someone already find a way to use the Pimax hand tracker? In DCS or in general using them as controller replacement?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, darkman222 said:

Depends on the tacking device, doesnt it? The Pimax hand trackers work just great in the demo apps. How did you get the hands working in DCS, what vR HMD do you use?

I have a LeapMotion controller stuck on the front of a G2. When I run the LeapMotion app, (using the Gemini drivers), hand tracking is nearly perfect. However when I start DCS, the hands that appear are very poorly tracked in comparison. The pimax has the newer wide FOV hardware so it could be better, but it seems the trouble does not lie in hardware but steam driver or refresh rate or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

The Leap Motion controller is now officially supported in the latest OB. But it's very experimental, have to test more...

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Yeah, very experimental. For the Pimax at least. You fist bump every switch the laserpointer projected from your fist touches. But its a start.

But the demo apps you can use to check out leap motion are far more solid. Dont know why ED could not just implement their code though.

hi all , if you have clue for me. Leapmotion pluged and software tested and ok. But cant activated leap in dcs.... says connect device....

edites

solves , you need to go in vr to activate the leapmotion

Edited by viperhill
  • Like 1

Are folks starting to get this to work effectively now? This would be a fairly significant progression for dcs if it can work. 

I'm seriously considering diving in myself now and giving it a go as it seems to be gaining more traction. I assume I need to purchase the vr mount and the leap motion controller together then just download the software and start fighting with it! 

There is so much potential in this and its quite amazing ED aren't further along with implentation of this. Captoglove seems like an overpriced solution that will possibly be very soon redundant anyway with development of hand tracking in headsets. 

I have tested it with the Pimax and their leap motion module. I would say it is very very experimental in DCS at the moment. Although it works pretty solid in the leap motion demo apps.

First, you dont know when you actually will push a button. There seems to be a threshold in distance which makes you push a button when close enough.

Secondly, it is very unprecise. You see me accidentally putting the dobber switch around. But I doubt you would be able to use the dobber switch that way.

Third it does not seem to work on the consoles down to your left and right.

Fourth it does not have collision detection. You can see the ray go through the ICP panel to the MFD on the right.

After that you can see me trying the leap motion blocks demo with the same headset and tracking device. If DCS would not use the legacy "controller approach" with the rays that are projected from your fists but use the actual leap motion skeletal tracking it would be percise enough to push buttons for sure. In the demo you can also pick up blocks and throw them. This works kinda ookey but we dont need that in DCS obviously. Also turning around wont break the tracking like DCS does at the moment.

I think I heard the guys at leap motion did a huge improvement with their algorithm, which was used for the blocks demo maybe? Not sure if DCS still relies on the old code.

But if we get that skeletal tracking working in DCS I think that would be the real deal.

Edited by darkman222
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Leap motion implementation is in early stages and will be refined and tweaked further. 

thanks

• Like 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

38 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Leap motion implementation is in early stages and will be refined and tweaked further. 

thanks

thats great to hear. The extra immersion it will bring to dcs will really be a fantastic edition to an already top notch simulator. 

38 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

glad to see the leap motion getting love. I have it implemented and agree the precision is a little off. Also I cant figure out how to prevent it from taking over the controls. In the f16 my right hand wants to control the stick and I cant get it to release. 

• Like 1

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

On 6/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Is that to say DCS is going to directly support Leap Motion and make it more useful in the future? In demo form, Leap Motion seems to nearly perfectly mimic my hands. But using all the crazy software implementations to get it into DCS seemed to lose precision and accuracy. PointCTRL beats Leap Motion with ease using an implementation style that is very close to what I hoped Leap Motion could accomplish: 1) Accuracy/precision, 2) turns off until I call it so that I can use my real throttle and joystick without accidently bumping controls. I just built a new PC with the horsepower to run Leap Motion with minimal impact on DCS performance. But I haven't tried it yet, because that was the least of my problems with Leap Motion. If it is integrated into DCS World in a way that surpasses PointCTRL with little or no performance penalty, that would be a great leap forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]