Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

3D printed? If so, must have taken a while, and clearly your printer bed is larger that the one on my Lulzbot Mini. It makes nice prints, but limited to a 6 inch cube.

For the dash brow on my A10 dash, I will have to use MDF and make a load of parallel cuts with a 30 degree engraving bits so that I can bend the curve around the edges, sort of lobster back style. I hope that it will be good enough, but will have to use the 'suck it and see' approach. Failing that I will have to use my old balsa modelling technique and steam bend a load of 1/32 balsa sheet and glue it like a ply.

Hopefully the cut and bend method works as it will save a lot of hassle!

Cheers

Les

Hi Les, yes the whole thing is 3d printed. The total print time would be huge. My print volume is 200mm^3 so that's 8in. I just print in sections and acetone together for big pieces.

With the thickness we're talking about for these hoods I think you can gradually bend most woods? Maybe 3d print the shape you're after and bend wood around it?

3D printed? If so, must have taken a while, and clearly your printer bed is larger that the one on my Lulzbot Mini. It makes nice prints, but limited to a 6 inch cube.

For the dash brow on my A10 dash, I will have to use MDF and make a load of parallel cuts with a 30 degree engraving bits so that I can bend the curve around the edges, sort of lobster back style. I hope that it will be good enough, but will have to use the 'suck it and see' approach. Failing that I will have to use my old balsa modelling technique and steam bend a load of 1/32 balsa sheet and glue it like a ply.

Cheers

Les

Thankfully the A10 coaming is pretty simple, with no compound curves, and seeing as I am not trying to make a 100% accurate replica, I think just using a simple radius and the cut and shut method *should* work. I used in an albeit smaller part for my son's HE111 throttle control quadrant for a game he plays (can't think which) and that came out OK once it was sanded.

Ultimately I suppose, if it looks and works OK, it is OK!

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

Cheers

Les

Les

1/8" birch plywood would be flexible enough to bend easily into a hood shape. And would be much easier to work with than MDF or self laminating balsa wood

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Just a couple curious questions.

What printer/bed size do you have?

What brand/type of filament do you use?

What is your nozzle diameter?

The reason I ask is you mentioned that you are welding the parts with acetone... So it makes me think your not using pla.

More awesome work done though. Looks fantastic!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Thank you DERacing :thumbup:

Zortrax M200 Plus and Zortrax M200.

Print volume is 200x200x180mm

I buy generic ABS filament from http://www.3dfilies.com.

Nozzle diameter is 0.4, except for the top faces with text, the new panels of my recent posts are 0.3 all the other text is using 0.4mm.

cheers

John

Just a couple curious questions.

What printer/bed size do you have?

What brand/type of filament do you use?

What is your nozzle diameter?

The reason I ask is you mentioned that you are welding the parts with acetone... So it makes me think your not using pla.

More awesome work done though. Looks fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blue73!

Seems like you're doing amazing work!

I'm sure you get a lot of people annoying you about this, but I'm 3/4 of my way through building a dedicated simpit and I would love to use some of your work here to really take it the extra mile.

Is there any ETA on release? Could you see your way to releasing some parts that are more finished?

Thanks!

Wheelyjoe

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great mate....would love to print and build the UFC

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Now working back over the modules adding text.

That panel looks NICE! How are you getting the nice black finish compared to the panels next to it where you can clearly see the 3D printer 'texture'?

Are you painting it? using acetone smoothing?

Maybe walk us thru what method you've settled on for finishing the text etc for the panels.

Thanks, and great work!

Cheers thanks.

The top panels are airbrushed with a satin clear coat. It deapens the black and takes off the shine that accentuates the 3d printing texture. Also the tops are now printed with an ABS/Polycarbonate filament.

I sand the tops of the text, clean with IPA, hand brush with white paint, air-brush satin clear coat entire panel.

That panel looks NICE! How are you getting the nice black finish compared to the panels next to it where you can clearly see the 3D printer 'texture'?

Are you painting it? using acetone smoothing?

Maybe walk us thru what method you've settled on for finishing the text etc for the panels.

Thanks, and great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm working on v2 of the panels, designing them closer to spec (MS25212). CAD work is almost complete. It's made to wrap around the Warthog throttle. Hall effect sensors on all rocket switch covers to sense when they're flipped up.

eGrlBNF.png

DeEWTft.png

NpKVqbH.png

7AJfO15.png

odiBPIn.png

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

• 1 month later...

Hi, sharing some build pics from v2 of the left panel.

Custom slave ccts.

Pck30zg.jpg

Header mounted to Nano.

9bvQeUU.jpg

Bus boards

6AH9CZZ.jpg

vG1Uhc9.jpg

Cable management loops, push fit to underside of top plate.

SgMRgYW.jpg

FCS Panel

SLoDULF.jpg

Rocket Cover HE sensor

89OjorG.jpg

Fuel Panel

PDwmani.jpg

Fuel wiring complete.

3IRx74X.jpg

FCS and Fuel panel paired.

pV89KTT.jpg

IFF and Comms panel, Nano's here also drive Antenna and APU panels.

WHeRyIn.jpg

DUItpMW.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...