landing problems

paladin7

I am having an issue landing on runways. I touchdown on the numbers but when I start using the wheel breaks on my rudder pedals, I get an oscillation that eventually ends at best with me spinning around and stopping backwards. It seems to happen just after the hud speed changes to 48. I am rather new to having wheel breaks not be a push button so I have not encountered this issue before. They work fine at taxi speeds but somewhere before I reach that it all goes wrong.

Thank You,

Paladin7

Do you have anti-skid switch turned on? Another thing with pedals is that you don't really need to use full brakes. Press both pedals about half way in and then keep the plane centered by carefully pressing harder or softer on the brakes.

I'll bet you aren't using antiskid. It's like ABS braking on a car. It keeps a tire from locking up.

If you still can't get the hang of it. Put the brakes on a button. The F/A-18 doesn't need individual braking.

With the cheap pedals I have at the moment, I have both brakes on the one pedal. You can bind both from the axis menu.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Don't listen to this. Differential braking is an essential for ground handling on ANY aircraft, whether it has nose wheel steering or not.

The old LOMAC and early Flaming Cliffs aircraft were an absolute chore to taxi because we couldn't map separate brakes left and right.

I dislike ground operations in the MiGs for the same reason.

Don't make things harder on yourself. If you have the means to diff brake use them.

The F/A-18 has two steering ratios. You don't need braking to steer it. You should know that.

Buzz

I prefer to use diff breaking (and rudder ) for any regime above taxi speed .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah I know that and you're still wrong.

Because you've never been on a carrier deck

If you're professionals, you should be capable of providing a bit more explanation with a bit less arrogance.

I've never been in an F/A-18 either but i'm flying it in DCS. What is your point?

I never claimed to be doing anything but flying my desk.

I'm only a lowly GA pilot, but in my some what limited experience I've found differential braking to be useful for preventing an oscillation (from building up) during deceleration. If you start to move to one side, easing off the brake on the same side is a good way to straighten the plane out instead of using the rudder, which is easier to over-correct with.

However it seems pretty easy to bring the DCS Hornet to a stop in a controlled manner following landing without it as you've said. So while I'm sure differential braking is useful in a real Hornet, it is most certainly not essential in DCS, and since that's the point of this thread, I don't see why it was necessary to give you a hard time.

Yes, I was talking about the F/A-18. It's an easy plane to take off and land on an airfield. Not so much on a carrier.

Most of my experience is in warbirds and I wouldn't fly those without differential braking. I haven't found a need in the DCS F/A-18. My only real flying experience is in my buddy's P-51. I don't have a license but he lets me play with it on the sneak. Way too much fun.

Plus, decades of RC aerobatic competition. I'd still be doing that instead of this but I lost the sight in one eye. With no depth perception, I had to give it up.

There I go rattling on again. Just tell the old man to button up.

Buzz

Don't listen to this. Differential braking is an essential for ground handling on ANY aircraft, whether it has nose wheel steering or not.

Hm, in the last few decades and many thousand hours I've used differential braking only once during the landing run in an airplane that's equipped with nose wheel steering.

Especially during landing it's essential that you are (usually) trying not to apply asymmetric braking!

As has been mentioned above, only when you need to do super tight turns you can assist the turn with asymmetric braking and asymmetric thrust.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

It's pretty unrealistic to expect privacy after trying to embarrass someone on a public forum.

At any rate, you never made an argument, all you did was tell someone they were wrong.

It's ok bud. I never felt embarrassed. I just ignored him. He had no point.

Buzz