intel i5 7600 4.1 ghz

msi b360 mobo

evga gtx 1060 maybe a low brand 1070 if I find a bargain

patriot ddr4 2133 mhz 32g mem

these items I can get for about $584 right now. Maybe better cyber monday

I know about Rift, but am seriously looking at

Lenovo Explorer and

Samsung Odyssey

I know this is bare minimum, even maybe below, but is it workable?

Thanks guys!

Edited by davevegas901
added

1070 would be better I think. Maybe even sacrifice to 16GB to upgrade the GPU. There are mods available - see below - to help with VR experience. Odyssey+ looks to be pretty nice. And the price is certainly right. Good luck.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Agree on 1070 . Several on this forum are flying it and happy in VR . I can think of no one doing so with a 1060 . Deals are out there . I got mine (new) for $310 . Also , there is the matter of an SSD . i highly recommend an SSD for DCS and a pagefile . You can trade off 16gb ram to enable getting the SSD , and add a couple of sticks later if you feel the need .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yep i'd go with just 16GB for now easier to add more RAM later than upgrade parts like CPU or GPU, for now look at,.. The mobo supports 4 slots upto 2666Ghz?

CPU, i5's are fine for DCS but higher clock speeds are better for DCS, is there much difference in price for the 9600K 4.6GHz out of the box and clockable. (about $40AUD here)

<edit> You would also be up for a cooler "solution" for the CPU

Yes an SSD over a spinning HDD but thats a moderate upgrade latter on if necessary. If you did start with an HDD adding another 16GB of RAM (Total of 32GB) latter will pretty much allow all DCS stuff to load into RAM albeit a bit slower to load. My experience is that there is not a lot of HDD/SSD access once the game is loaded into memory.

1070(Ti) minimum even if you have to wait a week or three to get it, a lot cheaper then grabbing a 1060 now and find you need to upgrade later to a 1070(Ti)

FWIW

Edited by FragBum
Addition of CPU cooler

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Get the biggest & fattest GPU you can afford, add a SSD when you can moneywise as it really helps DCS and with the RAM, it's a gamble, it may or may not work to add 2 more modules.

Dont buy funky modules at high speed and tight latency if you plan to add another 2. The highjer end they are the more it matters if they are matched or not. That's my honest experience.

Put the bucks into GPU-CPU ! add SSD and 16GB when you can

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yeah I think bang per buck rtx 2070 (maybe wait for 2070Ti??) :D

I'm considering

9600K should clock to 5.1ish+ GHz

32GB 2666 15CL or better ?? 2*16 or 4*8 meh!:)

rtx 2070

SSD/HDD not super important

:thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

If Intel...then a "K" version so you can overclock...and then not a B-chipset.

You are BETTER OFF in that regime if you get a AMD Ryzen 1600X or newer and get a B350...those do overclock.

I would not take an Intel that is not faster than an AMD, in that case, AMD is the clear winner.

That will make it easier to grab the bigger GPU.

Consider AMD, honestly.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have to say that while claiming no particular expertise on the matter , my experience indicates that an SSD should be a high priority because pagefiling . Afterburner shows use of pagefiling even when only half the ram is used . There are many posts on these forums that indicate the same . And pagefiling on SSD i have found to be a major stutter stopper :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have to say that while claiming no particular expertise on the matter , my experience indicates that an SSD should be a high priority because pagefiling . Afterburner shows use of pagefiling even when only half the ram is used . There are many posts on these forums that indicate the same . And pagefiling on SSD i have found to be a major stutter stopper :)

yes, you are right, but you cannot add a piece to a 1060 and make it a 1070 or 2080 but you can live with HDD for a month, get to know the rig and install Win 3x...and then have the money to ADD a NVMe or Sata SSD, take the HDD for cold storage of flics and stuff ;)

This is seen in the context of what to buy now that you CANNOT expand or add on top, like CPU and GPU. RAM is half/half, yes, you can, but it is not advised to add RAM for known reasons.

So leaving the SSD out for 4 weeks time is a valid strategic move to get the main parts a bit bigger :)

yes, you are right, but you cannot add a piece to a 1060 and make it a 1070 or 2080 but you can live with HDD for a month, get to know the rig and install Win 3x...and then have the money to ADD a NVMe or Sata SSD, take the HDD for cold storage of flics and stuff ;)

This is seen in the context of what to buy now that you CANNOT expand or add on top, like CPU and GPU. RAM is half/half, yes, you can, but it is not advised to add RAM for known reasons.

So leaving the SSD out for 4 weeks time is a valid strategic move to get the main parts a bit bigger :)

My previous post indicated agreement on gpu upgrade . Assuming you ensure ram upgrade is using same sticks as previously installed , surely no problems to be expected ? I would be interested in being further educated by your expertise if that is not the case !

You can buy 2 packs of 2x8GB kit and it will NOT be the same as a 4x8GB kit. It may or may not run together.

It depends on so many things, to say "Yeah, plug'em in a have a ball" would be plain dangerous.

If they originate from the same production week/day and share the exact same EVERYTHING chances should be good it will run. The further apart the production dates are, the higher the speed and tighter the latency, the pickier the board is, the less chances you have it will boot.

Thing is, you then won't even know if a true 4x8GB kit of same make would run, it may not work in that biard at all, no matter if 1 or two kits. Grab the QVL for that, if it allows 2 and 4 modules of a specific module. That will increase chances, no garanty.

It used to be easier with RAM, a lot easier.

I went from 32GB to 64GB about 12 months apart, I simply bought the same "Kit" of 4*8GB sticks all good.(x99 4 mem ch, 8 slots:) ) I suspect as you say if you were wanting to clock them at their max even to have all 4 slots in this case with the same spec RAM can be a problem it's recommended to only use 2 sticks for max memory clock speeds.

I'm thinking even at 2666 (and that's the limit of the 9xxxCPU) it's going to pretty much go close to saturate the 41.5GB/S memory buss speed on the 9xxxx series CPU's.

AMD CPU's (at the selected price point) have lower clocks then the intels, more threads equals more work done on multithreaded software unfortunately DCS is not multithreaded so I'm sticking to raw clock speed for this DCS build. Sure if it was to be a render machine Ryzen would be a choice. ;)

@Svsmonkey

Just for the purpose of a budget build for what ever reason initially even with a HDD and pagefile enabled you would still have a decent VR machine that you can add an SSD to later. :thumbup:

I don't know why you get page file access and more to it why this might cause issues. You should be able to turn it off at 32GB of RAM!

If your getting the odd drop frame (stutter) or FPS drops your likely hitting 100% GPU usage or saturating the the CPU core doing most of the work. For me I just back settings off to give the GPU some head room and it's fine. Don't fret if your not hammering the GPU/CPU to within a percent of 100% that's a nonsense and gives no capacity to process additional actions within the game or the PC for that matter.

BM and I have slightly different philosophies here. ;)

As a side note I think the guys at ED have been doing some tweaking to the DCS engine over the last few updates, I don't know for sure but there seems to be some slight lags introduced recently in SP but overall DCS is feeling more responsive and looking better in Rift VR.

It used to be easier with RAM, a lot easier.

I know right, I think I still have a bunch of 2116's but even then timings are critical,.. I remember seeing the odd NOP instruction in the read/write function because of well spread of timings of the 2116's. :P :D

I went from 32GB to 64GB about 12 months apart, I simply bought the same "Kit" of 4*8GB sticks all good.(x99 4 mem ch, 8 slots:) ) I suspect as you say if you were wanting to clock them at their max even to have all 4 slots in this case with the same spec RAM can be a problem it's recommended to only use 2 sticks for max memory clock speeds.

I'm thinking even at 2666 (and that's the limit of the 9xxxCPU) it's going to pretty much go close to saturate the 41.5GB/S memory buss speed on the 9xxxx series CPU's.

AMD CPU's (at the selected price point) have lower clocks then the intels, more threads equals more work done on multithreaded software unfortunately DCS is not multithreaded so I'm sticking to raw clock speed for this DCS build. Sure if it was to be a render machine Ryzen would be a choice. ;)

@Svsmonkey

Just for the purpose of a budget build for what ever reason initially even with a HDD and pagefile enabled you would still have a decent VR machine that you can add an SSD to later. :thumbup:

I don't know why you get page file access and more to it why this might cause issues. You should be able to turn it off at 32GB of RAM!

If your getting the odd drop frame (stutter) or FPS drops your likely hitting 100% GPU usage or saturating the the CPU core doing most of the work. For me I just back settings off to give the GPU some head room and it's fine. Don't fret if your not hammering the GPU/CPU to within a percent of 100% that's a nonsense and gives no capacity to process additional actions within the game or the PC for that matter.

As a side note I think the guys at ED have been doing some tweaking to the DCS engine over the last few updates, I don't know for sure but there seems to be some slight lags introduced recently in SP but overall DCS is feeling more responsive and looking better in Rift VR.

Appreciate the input . However my system runs very well and stutter-free . I too think that one should allow for headroom on CPU , RAM and GPU . I should add that i also upgraded my ram some months back , using the same part and revision numbers , with no ill effect . I will defer to Bitmaster's expertise though , and refrain from recommending this in the future .

My previous post indicated agreement on gpu upgrade . Assuming you ensure ram upgrade is using same sticks as previously installed , surely no problems to be expected ? I would be interested in being further educated by your expertise if that is not the case !

I always make sure to get the same make and exact model number but at least twice I've doubled my ram with kits on separate purchase dates without problems at all at xmp speeds. Once on a board with ddr3 1600mhz and then on this board with ddr4 3200mhz.

I like this video because he uses wayyy too much thermal paste, and 4 different brands/models of ram and doesn't bother discharging any static electricity while he builds this PC rubs his fingers up and down the contact surfaces of the memory and cpu, and it works fine.

I mean, doing everything the right way...ordering a 32GB kit will provide the least likely chance that you'll run into errors.. and something like too much paste could creep up on you down the road. But I'd say you're just as likely to not encounter problems as you are to run into them.

Thankfully, last I checked Newegg has a return policy on memory.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I always make sure to get the same make and exact model number but at least twice I've doubled my ram with kits on separate purchase dates without problems at all at xmp speeds. Once on a board with ddr3 1600mhz and then on this board with ddr4 3200mhz.

I like this video because he uses wayyy too much thermal paste, and 4 different brands/models of ram and doesn't bother discharging any static electricity while he builds this PC rubs his fingers up and down the contact surfaces of the memory and cpu, and it works fine.

I mean, doing everything the right way...ordering a 32GB kit will provide the least likely chance that you'll run into errors.. and something like too much paste could creep up on you down the road. But I'd say you're just as likely to not encounter problems as you are to run into them.

Thankfully, last I checked Newegg has a return policy on memory.

:megalol: thanks for that vid !

Yeah I think bang per buck rtx 2070 (maybe wait for 2070Ti??) :D

I'm considering

9600K should clock to 5.1ish+ GHz

32GB 2666 15CL or better ?? 2*16 or 4*8 meh!:)

rtx 2070

SSD/HDD not super important

:thumbup:

Actually bang for buck I'm staying away from the 2070's the rest still locks okay so far.

Which means 2080Ti :cry:

I have run DCS with 32GB without a PageFile and it worked ok too for those flights.

am always open for new insight and nothing I say is a law or may not be done better, I hope I learn a lot here too.