Which bombs can destroy runway?

I have been trying to destroy a runway on the Su-27, but it seems that no bombs can get the job done. And by destroy I mean that the target diamond should disappear after the target is eliminated.

I have watched in movies that they use some sort of cluster bombs for runway attack, is it true?

I have been trying to destroy a runway on the Su-27, but it seems that no bombs can get the job done. And by destroy I mean that the target diamond should disappear after the target is eliminated.

I have watched in movies that they use some sort of cluster bombs for runway attack, is it true?

BetAB-250

BetAB-500

BetAB-500sp - the most effective one.

Don't you worry yourself about the diamond dissapearing.

If you hit a runway, you will damage it.

And actually, cluster-bombs are about the best runway denial weapon within Lock-on.

You can also use cannons to damage the surface quite sufficiently. Just try using them, then try to land/take-off from it...

BTW, just 'cos you can't see any damage, doesn't mean there isn't any!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

And actually, cluster-bombs are about the best runway denial weapon within Lock-on.

You can also use cannons to damage the surface quite sufficiently. Just try using them, then try to land/take-off from it...

Bomb for Bomb do you think clusters (do you mean Mk-20's) are better than BetAB-500sp?

How are the Russian fixed canister cluster munitions on runways? ever test?

Ill run a test at some point... runway/taxiway denial is so much fun

To the OP... The runway cratering munitions i think you're thinking of are the centerline pod that are designed for Tornados

Fudd; I did a number of tests to see just how much of the RW surface could be damaged.

The trouble with the bigger bombs is that they can sure make a nice big hole, but if you drop a stick of them down a RW, there is normally enough space to allow operations to continue. You can drop them diagonally, and this does help, but I find smaller and more numerous weapons get scattered across a bigger area. As I fly the 25T almost all the time, I tend to use the RBK-250 as a rule.

As mentioned about using cannons (the 25T pods are good...) you won't see damage to the surface, but just you try and run over it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

Well in real life, ammunitions like concrete penetrating bombs are the best weapons to destroy a runway so BetAB-500sp would be the most effective one as they are created exactly for this purpose (and penetrating bunkers). In LockOn this is not the case becayse the digg in and explode effect is not modeled so any weapon that leaves many (or one huge) damage texture(s) are most effective... and in this case even gunpods might indeed do a great job (although I never tried this so I can't confirm). if you drop 2 or 3 Mk-84's right next to each other in the middle of the runway... you will block the whole runway completely. Since Su-25T's need quite a bit or runway to accelerate fully loaded you take them the oportunity to take off. Fighters on the other hand don't need much runway (especially MiG-29) so if it's along runway yuo'll need to drop 6 Mk-84's 1/3 and 2/3 of the ruway length... that way it'l be completely out. But then you have the taxyway... so you're gonna need more bombs :thumbup:

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

Yeh a B-61 would do the trick alright....

Ok I ran a test this morning with the Su-25a...

using the BetAB-500SHP, RBK-500, KMGU-2 (both types)

It seems for pure "you're going to die if you takeoff or land on this" nothing beats the BetAB-500...

However the RBK-500 does an excellent job, but I could land and then repair the damage... very tricky landing

The KMGU damage was clear but the lateral runway damage footprint seemed too narrow (when aligned firmly with runway centerline.)

Just my thoughts... I didnt test ripple rates too much...

He used the Su-25A - which has AFM...

The carwheeling comes from having the gear down - much better to belly land on rough surfaces :-)

ScreenShot_062reduced.jpg

Same place, different run - making a habit of it...

ScreenShot_066reduced.jpg

Don't know what happens when your plane repairs if you've got the gear up though.

Cheers.

BetAB's are guaranteed to get the job done every time.......

ScreenShot_067.jpg

ScreenShot_070.jpg

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Looks like those BetAB really work well for runway destruction. By the looks of it a single Su-25A armed with them has the potential to take out the runway and taxiways out of operation...

No longer active in DCS...

How does this sound?

- A major benefit of cratering weapons such as the Betab is their ability to make large and deep craters that take time to fill in.

- Smaller weapons (eg. one of the KGMU fillings that exist in Lomac) are used to create shorter term but more comprehensive damage.

In real life a combination of these weapons is generally used (eg. the JP-233 which has large cratering munitions and smaller area denial munitions that use proximity triggers and random dentonation timers to hamper runway repairs).