Bullseye and SA mech in the F-14

AvroLanc

So how are we going to manage using Bullseye control when in the F-14?

There’s no equivalent to the Hornets AA waypoint and the systems aren’t designed to show radar cursor bulls position etc.

I guess using one of the waypoint, eg the ‘fixed point’ could be used to give ownship pos from the bullseye. Is there any easy way to work out target position from bulls that’s better than an approximate ‘that looks about right’ ?

Listening to an episode of The Fighter Pilot Podcast, it sounds like the Navy wasn't using bullseye as much (or at all? Not completely sure) as the USAF during the Gulf War. They changed at some point after, but Nick Mongillo said they had a bit of confusion with bullseye calls, given that Navy standard at the time was BRA. I'd be interested to find out how the F-14 incorporated an update to show bullseye.

That would be most useful , thanks. Out of interest, what’s an AVIA display? (Cobra mentioned it)

I still think there must be some method of pointing my radar at specific AWACS reported pos.

The AVIA display is a way for the RIO to see AoA data and ILS and ACLS as well as some basic flight instruments on the TID. Usable for helping the pilot by reading out stuff.

Listening to an episode of The Fighter Pilot Podcast, it sounds like the Navy wasn't using bullseye as much (or at all? Not completely sure) as the USAF during the Gulf War. They changed at some point after, but Nick Mongillo said they had a bit of confusion with bullseye calls, given that Navy standard at the time was BRA. I'd be interested to find out how the F-14 incorporated an update to show bullseye.

It's not really a bullseye per se, it allows the RIO to read out stuff from a set reference waypoint. If that reference is the bullseye you can use it for that.

• 2 months later...
Is there a way to find the tanker in the game yet? AWACS reports the position using bullseye and in some missions the briefing doesn’t tell you what the bullseye is to my knowledge..

You can always see bullseye position on the F10 map. Usally TACAN is used to get to the tanker.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Maybe not an answer to your question but we will add the Nav Grid display to the TID later on in EA, that allows for referencing everything to a set reference point (bullseye).

Any update re Nav Grid display on the TID?

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

In the meantime, use one of your "special" waypoints for Bullseye. You can see it on your TID and make visual approximations. If you use one of the selectable waypoints (e.g. IP or FP) you can get your own bulls position by reading the tail of the arrow and the DME on the HSD Dest page.

Not at this time unfortunately.

Thanks for the update. But can you say why? Others F-14 items wit higher priority? No dev time at all?

I think we’re all looking forward to polish on the Tomcat. Details make the sim.

Thanks for the update. But can you say why? Others F-14 items wit higher priority? No dev time at all?

I think we’re all looking forward to polish on the Tomcat. Details make the sim.

Can't really detail further but rest assured that it's on the list.