F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Yes! Seems to be retaining lines and panels. How to?

This really is done the same way I showed earlier with Fill layers. :)

Do not equate what you see in Photoshop to be an exact rendition in DCS.

Because of PBR etc you'll find colors more vivid inside DCS than they may appear in Photoshop.

That's why I find Fill layers so great in my workflow because it's easy to adjust while checking in ModelViewer. :)

Here is a screenshot of my settings inside PS to get those results I showed earlier.

Note that I turned off most weathering EXCEPT the panellines layer.

The Fill layer has an opacity of 64% in this example.

T9CRHGT.png

Edited by ensamvarg

Do not equate what you see in Photoshop to be an exact rendition in DCS.

Because of PBR etc you'll find colors more vivid inside DCS than they may appear in Photoshop.

Hmm. Maybe this is why I've been stuck on not accepting the dullness in PS without realizing DCS would render it differently. Thanks for the details. I'll experiment a bit later this weekend.

Is OK if I'm only using CS6?

ensamvarg, that's very clever. I always forget about those little photoshop tricks.

This is more of a general question, but here goes:

Is there a way to have several skins reference the same files?

I'm working up the skins for my vVF, and we are going to have a lot of skins.

We have two aircrews, plus occasionally we'll fly as a 4 ship with JESTER.

What that means is we end up with 2+ GB of .dds files, most of which are exact replicas of the files for the other skins, specifically everything but EXT_01 and EXT_02, and the helmets.

So What I'd really like to do is have a folder with all of the dds files in it, and load from that for each skin.

I know how to use a subdirectory, but that won't really work for me in this case as the directory the dds files would be would not be a subdirectory of the folder with the description.lua, but rather in the same directory.

Man I hope that made sense lol.

Hmm. Maybe this is why I've been stuck on not accepting the dullness in PS without realizing DCS would render it differently. Thanks for the details. I'll experiment a bit later this weekend.

Is OK if I'm only using CS6?

End result should be the same but I haven’t used CS6 in a long time so I can’t say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ensamvarg, that's very clever. I always forget about those little photoshop tricks.

This is more of a general question, but here goes:

Is there a way to have several skins reference the same files?

I'm working up the skins for my vVF, and we are going to have a lot of skins.

We have two aircrews, plus occasionally we'll fly as a 4 ship with JESTER.

What that means is we end up with 2+ GB of .dds files, most of which are exact replicas of the files for the other skins, specifically everything but EXT_01 and EXT_02, and the helmets.

So What I'd really like to do is have a folder with all of the dds files in it, and load from that for each skin.

I know how to use a subdirectory, but that won't really work for me in this case as the directory the dds files would be would not be a subdirectory of the folder with the description.lua, but rather in the same directory.

Man I hope that made sense lol.

Hmmm. I've never tried that since in our case there would be other things changing per livery such as the BuNo so you would have to have multiple copies of most dds files anyway.

I can look in to it and see if there is a way to do what you're wanting.

I know if you leave out references in the .lua it will grab the default DDS from the f14 texture folder.

Yeah, what I'm specifically trying to load form a common directory are the

HB_F14_EXT_03

HB_F14_EXT_04

HB_F14_EXT_TAIL

HB_F14_LOD1_3in1

HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT

I'm testing right now to see if the old autoexec trick still works, but I'd rather not have to do it that way as it isn't as easy to install that way.

That will work, but you can only have one description.lua in each directory. so the file structure would be like this:

liveries/
    Common/
         skinPart1.dds
         skinPart2.dds
         skinPart3.dds
         [...]
    customSkin1/
         description.lua
    customSkin2/
         description.lua
    customSkin2/
         description.lua

So the issue is you have to jump out of the skin directory, and into the common directory, which I have yet to figure out.

Edited by Wrench

Yeah, what I'm specifically trying to load form a common directory are the

HB_F14_EXT_03

HB_F14_EXT_04

HB_F14_EXT_TAIL

HB_F14_LOD1_3in1

HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT

I'm testing right now to see if the old autoexec trick still works, but I'd rather not have to do it that way as it isn't as easy to install that way.

If you do not change the LOD_3in1 you will get the same numbers and helmets etc on all aircraft when viewed at a distance. You definitely do not want to keep that common.

That one should be saved out as BC1 and shouldn’t take a whole lot of space though.

We all play in VR so the helmets aren't really legible at the distance where they change. Good looking out though.

I see. It will retain the modex and tail etc of the original as well but I don’t know if you’re able to see those on the wings and sides in VR as I don’t use that. :)

That will work, but you can only have one description.lua in each directory. so the file structure would be like this:

liveries/
    Common/
         skinPart1.dds
         skinPart2.dds
         skinPart3.dds
         [...]
    customSkin1/
         description.lua
    customSkin2/
         description.lua
    customSkin2/
         description.lua

So the issue is you have to jump out of the skin directory, and into the common directory, which I have yet to figure out.

Correct, hence the relative path thingy in the lua (if it works)

The common holds all the base files needed, no description.lua

Each skin has a lua file and the unique to that skin