Crazing on the windscreen

mkiii

Great module - but I really do not like having windscreen glass that looks like it has just been hit by a sledgehammer. Please get rid of it - and tone down the crazing on the canopy perspex if you would be so kind.

I can almost live without being able to see out of the heavily crazed perspex, but not windscreen glass.

Ta

Great module - but I really do not like having windscreen glass that looks like it has just been hit by a sledgehammer. Please get rid of it - and tone down the crazing on the canopy perspex if you would be so kind.

I can almost live without being able to see out of the heavily crazed perspex, but not windscreen glass.

Ta

Have you ever sat in a real fighter aircraft? Around a light spot (sun for example) you can see the structure of the "glass". It looks like small scratches or cracks. It looks very similarto what HB (and many others) did.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

The windscreen is glass - not "glass" - I do know the difference between glass and acrylic/plexiglass/perspex etc. I think some people are conflating windscreen with canopy. I am being specific here, about the windscreen glass, (although I do think some modules have overdone the effect on both).

The tiny normal map that is used by most modules to get this effect is too low res and too heavy - just look at it. :(

I use a modified version with about 50% of the scratches removed, and it looks a lot better, but even so - should not be on the glass of the windscreen itself at all IMO, but without access to how the materials are set up - I can only edit the normal map.

It is possible to do this subtly - just look at the P-51, the A-10C, the MiG-21, the Mirage and Albatross.

17 years on Military a/c line work / maintenance Schlapperklange, so I have sat in a couple of fighters, and some of them were even facing the sun ;)

Some of these were newish (at the time), such as F-16s and Jaguar, Tornado, Alpha-Jet, and some pretty old, Lightning, F-104, F-5, F-4f - FGR-2, Mirage V, Buccaneer, Hunter. The only ones that ever looked this bad were in a scrapyard. Dirty and possibly scratched perhaps, but never like this, and not the glass portions.

Anyhoo - take it or leave it - it's just an opinion.

Edited by mkiii

Personally I really hate when Simulators try to "Immersion up" with crap like this. In the real plane you look THROUGH this stuff not AT it. Everything isn't presented to you on a single 2D plain. It's just like the stupid Lens Flare effect I have to turn off on every game since 1993. I don't know what crazy robot eyes y'all got, but mine don't have J.J. Abrams style lens flare.

I use a modified version with about 50% of the scratches removed, and it looks a lot better, but even so - should not be on the glass of the windscreen itself at all IMO, but without access to how the materials are set up - I can only edit the normal map.

Modified for Tomcat? Can you share it?

Hmm... As I work on Mirage 2000 and do regularly resurfacing on windshield and canopy, I have the feeling that the Heatblur representation is pretty realistic.

Crazing ? you and me havn't the same definition of crazing. I'm not saying I'm right however. For us, crazing are cracks that are really apparent, and implies a reject of the canopy or the windscreen. I never saw crazing somewhere else than directly after the defog ramps. Occurs when pilot put the ''DESEMB'' (Defog) switch on for more than 1 minute since it's very hot air directly from the engine that hit the canopy and the windscreen.

I'm not bothered with what i saw in the HB F-14. But I may need to take a closer look.

Jowen: Mirage200 does not have a flat glass windscreen panel. Just curiou to know is the curved windscreen actually made from glass then? I am specifically talking about the glass - not any form of plastic compound.

The Mirage V, did have a flat windscreen, & I don't recall that glass being crazed, scratched or gouged. Crazing is sort of an irrelevant term as far as this sim goes - because it doesn't really represent either. There is only one effect, so it doesn't matter what you call it. In any case - the M2000 canopy/screen looks fine in game. Nothing like this.

Blinde: I did it for the Spitfire ages ago - since it's the same file in all modules afaik - just renamed, I'm assuming it can be reused, it's just a bit less scratchy than the original. Try this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlvGQxoyD0PcwQjJtHYQSMC1rYcT

EDIT: Hold on one: that is a dds - but my F14 uses *.bmp. Here is the correct file type: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlvGQxoyD0PcwQmZeVGif2tiD8Xs

If you want a much more toned down version - but still showing crackles/scratches - use this one (You will have to rename it to remove the (2) from the filename). https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlvGQxoyD0PcwQrNLQRE4VKJeaBA

Both files are at the same resolution as the original ED texture.

Edited by mkiii

Blinde/Jowen. NP.

Just so I'm clear... I really DO like the F14 and the Viggen modules - they are both very immersive - as I like to put it - the only thing missing is the "fart" smell in the cockpit, but that doesn't mean small things can't be improved upon. I do understand that this scratch/crazing thing seems to be an ED thing... that needs updating imho.

Dawson - Is the M2000 good to work on? I always thought the MV was a nice A/C - Did line servicing (Nato XServ) in Germany in the late 80's - on Belgian Mirages, My favourite was always the F16 though - nice & easy - no chute to fit - just the slight issue with the Hydrazine power-pack ;)

Seems to me that some people must be seeing something completely different to me. Perhaps some GFX setting is making what I see worse, screen resolution, Antialiasing, my fov setting?

If you think that looks correct - then good luck with that. I for one feel that it would not be a major effort to look at the way the material settings and bitmaps are being applied. This isn't necessarily just a Heatblur thing, but

It's been used on modules since the Mustang was released - and is much subtler on that module for example. - just compare the two.