Carrier Launch Procedure

Ski01

Hi Guys,

I'm only occasionally getting the sequence right to trigger the launch.

Can someone please list the steps and actions once you are stationary over the cat point?

In one video I saw the need for Shift-I Holdback bar - but I can't see this in the commands etc.

Any advice most appreciated.

There is no hold back bar sir, not in DCS anyway. The launch bar on the aircraft is operated by the deck crew, its not like the Hornet where the pilot has the ability to raise and lower it.

Shot steps:

• Taxi to the cat and line up approx 0.5 meter behind the shuttle.
  • Press and hold the kneel switch so the aircraft kneels all the way down.
  • Now press U
  • Observe steam coming up along the cat track and the Jet Blast Door rising behind the aircraft, you will also be moved forward slightly to connect to the shuttle.
  • Ensure wings are forward in the AUTO position with flaps down
  • Power up to MIL (not full afterburner)

• Do a wipeout check (move all controls and verify they work)
  • Now press Lshift+U to give the salute
  • Half way down the shot pull back (approx 20-25% aft) on the stick to ensure nose up authority at the end of the track
  • Hope for the best ;)

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Thanks Maverick! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

;3855500']

[*] Power up to MIL (not full afterburner)

[*] Do a wipeout check (move all controls and verify they work

1) When does the Cat actually used afterburners? Only for egress or intercept? Or for cancelled traps?

2) why dont you check the controls before powering up to MIL?

isnt that a waste of fuel?

Edited by TheSauvaaage

thanks! Am doing that sequence - looks like the "only launches occasionally" bug is still active for me.

With regards to the bug. If you don't launch with shift-U, then power down to idle (sometimes this will cause you to launch so be ready to power up again fast), if not, hit U to disconnect, and then reconnect. This usually fixes it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1) When does the Cat actually used afterburners? Only for egress or intercept? Or for cancelled traps?

You never go in to afterburner at all in the B Tomcat when you trap, bolter or wave off. Full MIL is the limit in case you catch a wire, the engines on the B are too powerful the wires would snap or be ran out. All the shots of the Tomcat in afterburner while on the shuttle in TopGun are all A model Tomcats.

2) why dont you check the controls before powering up to MIL?

isnt that a waste of fuel?

Your wipe out check takes around 5 seconds so its not wasting any significant amount of fuel.

I actually dont know the reason why its done this way but at a guess it would be so the deck safety guys (bro's in white shirts) can see that everything is working properly even with the engines producing full dry heat.

Really? I always thought every carrier AC is supposed to takeoff with hands off stick... Today I learned thumbup.gif

The Hornet is the only carrier aircraft that has the auto launch computer that 'flys' you off the CAT ;)

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Auto sweep is the yellow lever full forward and down, guard closed?

The wings stay in oversweep for me.

Once you have moved the lever forward and down and closed the cover you need to press the Master Rest button which is just above the cover and to the left (near the Fuel Probe Switch).

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Last night in the F14 I got all the way to waiting to be dragged down the catapult track but nothing happened. I was using the regular pilot salute that I use for the F18 because I didn't know any better.

Two questions.

1.) Why do we have to press the "U" key as Maverick instructed in step 3 of his list? What is that? I dont want to use a keyboard for anything so I would either like to bind it to a button or a voice attack command for realism.

2.) Do we have any reason why Heatblur would use a different key stroke to launch the F14 than for what DCS uses for the F18? In the F18 you do the pilot salute... in the F14 you press "Shift+U". why the difference? An ideosyncratic difference like this makes the product harder to learn but doesnt add to the realism.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Last night in the F14 I got all the way to waiting to be dragged down the catapult track but nothing happened. I was using the regular pilot salute that I use for the F18 because I didn't know any better.

Two questions.

1.) Why do we have to press the "U" key as Maverick instructed in step 3 of his list? What is that? I dont want to use a keyboard for anything so I would either like to bind it to a button or a voice attack command for realism.

2.) Do we have any reason why Heatblur would use a different key stroke to launch the F14 than for what DCS uses for the F18? In the F18 you do the pilot salute... in the F14 you press "Shift+U". why the difference? An ideosyncratic difference like this makes the product harder to learn but doesnt add to the realism.

1. You looked up a thread from a year ago which is woefully outdated.

2. Heatblur introduced the salute. At that time the F-18 launched by pushing the throttles into afterburner. Super Carrier changed all that inculding the hookup procedure. ED went their own way without much consideration for what Heatblur did.

Edited by Chaogen

1. You looked up a thread from a year ago which is woefully outdated.

2. The Heatblur introduced the salute. At that time the F-18 launched by pushing the throttles into afterburner. Super Carrier changed all that inculding the hookup procedure. ED went their own way without much consideration for what Heatblur did.

I've been a DCS user for about 4 months so its all new to me.

I was just trying to figure out why after doing the salute I wasn't going anywhere. That was the only thread that was asking the question that I had.

Sean

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

That's fine. Unfortunatly DCS Early Access is in a constant state of change. It does indeed make learning something a challange.. Theres a lot of factors which have changed procedures and certain aspects of the sim, due to updates from both developers. If you have a question that ok, but without knowing the history, I would hold off on the critism until you do.

As it stands today (assuming you are on a "Super Carrier". I havent flown from the Stennis since) you dont need the hookup binding anymore. Only the salute when ready, which you can most certainly bind to a button.

If you have a question that ok, but without knowing the history, I would hold off on the critism until you do.

LOL.. I have to disagree with you on that point. As a professional software product designer I can tell you that DCS is woefully inadequate from a UX perspective. If I can find some free time I'm going to do an Audit of the platform and send it over to them.

There is a ton of stuff wrong with this application. I spend more time configuring and problem solving than I do actually flying. I've gotten pretty good at the A10C... learning that plane was easier than learning how to build a mission in the mission builder for my son and I to run together.

It shouldn't be this hard. DCS needs to invest in a product designer. The simulation part is amazing though.

LOL.. I have to disagree with you on that point. As a professional software product designer I can tell you that DCS is woefully inadequate from a UX perspective. If I can find some free time I'm going to do an Audit of the platform and send it over to them.

There is a ton of stuff wrong with this application. I spend more time configuring and problem solving than I do actually flying. I've gotten pretty good at the A10C... learning that plane was easier than learning how to build a mission in the mission builder for my son and I to run together.

It shouldn't be this hard. DCS needs to invest in a product designer. The simulation part is amazing though.

Critisize ED all you want. MSFS just reminded me how bad the overall DSC UI is. Before you waste your time though, people have been telling them for more than a decade now. And I do agree the ME is just enfuriating. The logic is completely backwards from any programming language I've had to deal with. You can write LUA scripts instead but maintance would be a nightmare.

I'm talking about Heatblur who is a 3rd party developer and who's subforum this is. HB who constantly has to deal with the base sim being changed without always having a complete heads up about changes or given the wrong update version to check their modules. As a paper pushing Engineer I can tell you that is enough to chase any other prospective developers off and makes the user experience frustrating at times. That's the history I am referring to which you're not going to find written down anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out which of the functions I need to map to my button box to launch the F18 and the F14 off of the Super Carrier. Its my understanding that these two planes use different (but related) commands. I'm doing this all in VR so I want to map these functions to my button box.

Here are the features I think that I need.

F14 Cat Launch

1.) Line up "cheat" (if necessary)

2.) Pilot Salute (I think this is Lshft+LCntrl+S)

3.) Request Launch

F18 Cat Launch

1.) Line up "cheat" (if necessary)

2.) Pilot Salute (I think this is Lshft+LCntrl+S)

Does anyone know what the keystrokes are, what the commands are called and where I can find them in the controls list?

Edited by melchionda

When the supercarrier came out, I only had to make sure four commands were mapped for VoiceAttack--in your case the buttonbox:

Hornet:

- Pilot Salute

- Ball call

Tomcat:

- Catapult launch (already mapped for Stennis)

- Ball call

The key commands are in the respective aircraft settings.

When the supercarrier came out, I only had to make sure four commands were mapped for VoiceAttack--in your case the buttonbox:

Hornet:

- Pilot Salute

- Ball call

Tomcat:

- Catapult launch (already mapped for Stennis)

- Ball call

The key commands are in the respective aircraft settings.

Cool... I'll look for them. So for the Tomcat... you dont actually have to do a "Salute"?

Cool... I'll look for them. So for the Tomcat... you dont actually have to do a "Salute"?

You do, but not as a radio call necessarily, although we made both work. You can map it as a button if you like. Just go to F-14B control set up and press left shit + U, it will take you straight to the command.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/