Soviet-Afghan Air war

Geier

This footage is a great proof of how stupidly Soviets "waged" this war. After ten years majority of Soviet Army garrisons in Afghanistan was encircled by the rebels. In result Soviet troops couldn't even withdraw normally from Afghanistan. That is why carped bombings and missile strikes were needed to clear communication routes for withdrawing Soviet forces...what a shame and laughing-stock!

You're saying such words, hmm, wether you don't know the war history at all... Americans in Veitnam, now in Afg and Iraq - the actions are the same. The mankind fought, fight and will fight in "partizan" war with simmillar methods - americans, russians - it doesn't matter, mate;)

• ED Team

Im not sure if you are old enough to remember the time in Poland in the 80s. Or if you ever saw a soviet military base which is operational with your own eyes. My guess is : you never saw one.

I will give you one hint regarding the superb supplies front line troops were getting back then. Check all Afghanistan soviet war pics for what kind of shoes the soldiers are wearing.

Besides you should know that there are not only pilots on a airbase.

I know that story very well and I must say that wars can be waged in two ways: trying to win or not. Old fogeys and capitulationists from Kremlin did almost nothing to win the Afghan War. They sent few troops there as for holidays thinking it is enough. It wasn't enough when US sponsored insurgency begun but Soviet rulers didn't notice this fact...

Completely not true - or are you just kidding?

:huh:

Im not sure if you are old enough to remember the time in Poland in the 80s. Or if you ever saw a soviet military base which is operational with your own eyes. My guess is : you never saw one.

I will give you one hint regarding the superb supplies front line troops were getting back then. Check all Afghanistan soviet war pics for what kind of shoes the soldiers are wearing.

Besides you should know that there are not only pilots on a airbase.

Adidas;) were the best shoes for mountain climbing:)

Geier, i understand !

So Adidas was also your official supplier in Chechnya for fast sprinting in a urban enviroment :D

OT: How did you called the "Adidas" shoes back in the 80s in SU ?

"Adidas" trainers made in Tbilisi (USSR) shoes factory and "Kimry" by Kimry factory;)

I know that story very well and I must say that wars can be waged in two ways: trying to win or not. Old fogeys and capitulationists from Kremlin did almost nothing to win the Afghan War. They sent few troops there as for holidays thinking it is enough. It wasn't enough when US sponsored insurgency begun but Soviet rulers didn't notice this fact...

I think most of the support came from the middle east all the west did was supply advisors and stingers. The Soviets didn't really go all out to win the support of the locals instead they fought similar to the US in Vietnam which doesn't work in that type of situation.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Of course, but almost all support came through Pakistan. Yet Soviets didn't wage this war like US in Vietnam because they didn't attack Pakistan for example.

It isn't clear that Soviets could surely win in Afghanistan by war's escalation but it is clear they were doomed to defeat fighting in this cowardly minimal manner. In such approach USSR wouldn't send its troops there at all!

The idea of sending the SU army to Afg was clear - not to fight against all arabic countries in the region. But to help the new pro kommunist government in Afg. We expected that the only view of modern equipment army with aviation, tanks etc. in that "medieval"(in compartion with the USSR) country would let the opposition to defeat. But this good plan failed...

Wait a moment!

Do you suggest Soviet Politbiuro was so stupid not to foresee that US and many other "communism fanboys" worldwide would immediately send aid to rebels simply as a revenge for Soviet help for Vietcong?

No revenge could take place - there were to many conflicts on the Earth then where the interests of the SU and US were contiguous to each other.

- If not, they should prepare themselves and Soviet Army for much larger war from the beginning or not to intervene at all!

Lol the SU army was completely prepared to the world's biggest conflict between Warsaw treaty org and NATO, but not to the partisan war.

Anyway as time allows I will write here my completely different point of view about Soviet involvement in Afghanistan which was a big mistake many years before direct Soviet intervention.

Interesting to hear

1) Soviet SF

2) Deploying at the LZ

3) High altitude flying to avoid threats

4) MANPAD damage

5) Popping flares pre-emptively to avoid getting fired on during take-off. This is a clip from a fictional movie, but it was a real danger and many aircraft losses happened on take-off/approach or enroute. Note too how he spirals up to gain altitude over the air-base controlled airspace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kfs5R5Qask

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Thx, EB for the "Afghansky izlom" vid. As for me it's the best film about this war. But some moments're seems to be very strange.

The last photo is the Senior Lieutenant P. Golubtsov 21st of October, 1987 struck by Stinger SAM near Kobay kishlak. The plane was turned on in several months after the major repairs.