rudder pedals animation

bbrz

• ED Team

checking our reports and it is already logged, just low priority currently. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

The evidence we have suggests it is correct but we will look for more confirmation 

Image below seems to show an axis point

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I will ask for SME feedback and thanks to the people who have PM'd me 

• Like 2

I can confirm by speaking with two Viper pilots that the current pedal animation is wrong. The pedals move straight in and out without turning.

• Like 1

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Here's a better angle on the pedals. It's very clear that they rotate. The movement, however, has a very limited range - far less than shown. The rotation will be very difficult to see in the cockpit with only a fraction of inch of movement. Maintainers may be better SMEs than pilots in this case.

rudder.jpg.b0544324bd6b734fbda645ee3736385d (1).jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

Here's a better angle on the pedals. It's very clear that they rotate. The movement, however, has a very limited range - far less than shown. The rotation will be very difficult to see in the cockpit with only a fraction of inch of movement. Maintainers may be better SMEs than pilots in this case.

How is it that it's very clear that they rotate? Especially when it's just a fraction of an inch? It's kind of confusing.
I have first hand information from two ex-viper pilots (now F-35) that they don't rotate at all. 

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

44 minutes ago, d0ppler said:

How is it that it's very clear that they rotate? Especially when it's just a fraction of an inch? It's kind of confusing.
I have first hand information from two ex-viper pilots (now F-35) that they don't rotate at all. 

Look at the real unit I posted previously. There is no mechanism there for the pedals to move in parallel. They are both attached to a single rigid arm with a central pivot, rotating is all they can do. There are no rails for the pedals to move on or a dual arm parallelogram arrangement, one of which would be needed for parallel movement. (The very obvious rails at the bottom are the pedal adjustment mechanism, to move the whole unit forward or rearward to fit the pilot, they have nothing to do with pedal operation)

The pic attached is not real pedals. These move in parallel and you can see the additional linkages, not present on the real ones, required to make that happen.

The real unit uses force transducers for both rudder and wheel brakes. There is less than half an inch of motion for the rudder.

As I said, someone that's actually seen the pedal mechanism is probably a more useful SME in this case than a pilot. With the extremely limited movement there's no way for a pilot to know if they're pivoting or parallel. They don't feel like they're pivoting.

Regardless, the current animation is completely wrong. They should barely move - like the stick. (Cue people reporting that the rudder pedal animation is broken because they don't move...)

full-35902-95084-dsc_0806.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

• ED Team

yes the thread is marked investigating and we are looking into it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fapador said:

It also shows two parallel rails...

Those are the mechanism to move the whole pedal assembly forward/backwards to fit the pilot (remember that the seat moves up and down, not backwards and forwards). They have nothing to do with operation of the pedals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott-S6 said:

Those are the mechanism to move the whole pedal assembly forward/backwards to fit the pilot (remember that the seat moves up and down, not backwards and forwards). They have nothing to do with operation of the pedals.

Yes Indeed. But the Pedals are also supported by those rails and cannot break free individually from them. Those Rails also support the toe rests   assembly  so its sturdy.

I am 100% sure the pedals move back and forth and don't rotate as currently implemented. At least that's the way they are on Lockheeds Martin Simulator which I highly doubt is false, and any different than a real Viper.

If you still don't believe what I contend,   here is a picture showing the Pedals slightly depressed were it can be seen that the stay parallel.

Infact I am not aware of any modern era Plane (post WWII) nowadays having WWI style Pedals. 

pedals.png

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

4 hours ago, fapador said:

Yes Indeed. But the Pedals are also supported by those rails and cannot break free individually from them. Those Rails also support the toe rests   assembly  so its sturdy.

I am 100% sure the pedals move back and forth and don't rotate as currently implemented. At least that's the way they are on Lockheeds Martin Simulator which I highly doubt is false, and any different than a real Viper.

If you still don't believe what I contend,   here is a picture showing the Pedals slightly depressed were it can be seen that the stay parallel.

Infact I am not aware of any modern era Plane (post WWII) nowadays having WWI style Pedals. 

pedals.png

You can't see if they're rotating or not, they only rotate 5degrees in each direction. They do rotate however, they can do nothing else. The rails support the whole rudder pedal mechanism but have nothing to do with the operation of the rudder bar or the pedals. Look at them - note that the pedals are mounted to either end of a bar that has only one pivot at its center. They cannot move parallel.

4 hours ago, fapador said:

Also even If you were able to climb onto a F16 cockpit, and test those Pedals you wouldn't   be able to do so... They don't move not even an inch without hydraulic power. 

The pedals and brakes are FBW using force transducers as sensors. The status of the hydraulics has absolutely no effect on the feel of the pedals which are very stiff (110kg to full deflection) and barely move (less than half an inch)  just like the stick. 

rudder.jpg.b0544324bd6b734fbda645ee3736385d (1)_1.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scott-S6 said:

You can't see if they're rotating or not, they only rotate 5degrees in each direction. They do rotate however, they can do nothing else. The rails support the whole rider pedal mechanism but have nothing to do with the operation of the rudder bar or the pedals. Look at them - note that the pedals are mounted to either end of a bar that has only one pivot at its center. They cannot move parallel.

51 minutes ago, fapador said:

Also even If you were able to climb onto a F16 cockpit, and test those Pedals you wouldn't   be able to do so... They don't move not even an inch without hydraulic power. 

The pedals and brakes are FBW using force transducers as sensors. The status of the hydraulics has absolutely no effect on the feel of the pedals (which are very stiff and barely move just like the stick). 

Dude no need to go crazy with theories. I am telling you they go dead straight on the LM sim and also the brakes move quite a lot. I don't know how exactly the FBW pedals feel on the real jet. I have never flown one and I never will. However I highly doubt they don't move at all like you seem to think, at least nowhere like  the stick.  Because I remeber having seen a cockpit video showing clearly the pedals moving quite a lot during a windy takeoff. I will post it immediately I unbury it from my archive.

Also its not a FBW thing you are convinced to believe. Hydraulically powered Pedals cannot  be  moved not even in small helicopters like the OH-58 for example without the engine being turned on. A characteristic which I happen to have witnessed first hand, not only on the OH-58 but on many other fixed wing aircraft too which make use of hydraulically operated control surfaces.

Obsessed with FM's

31 minutes ago, d0ppler said:

ED - Send me a PM and I'll get you in contact with Viper pilots that can confirm the pedals in an F-16 are moving parallel. 

Why don't you ask their maintainers who've actually seen the pedal mechanism to comment? When you handle the unit it is obvious how it operates.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

• ED Team

We have a report open for some tweaks to the rudder pedal animation. 

Thank you for the reports and PM's

• Like 2

• ED Team

Hi all, 

just to mention we will be adjusting the travel distance of the pedals but the twist action is correct as is. 

Thank you to everyone who PM'd me about this issue

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1