Trim, Stores, and FLCS

mattag08

I'm curious if Mover or someone with some experience could comment on how the FLCS handles changes in stores. In F4, the flight model assumed that the FLCS automatically adjusted to maintain 1G, 0 roll rate, and zero Beta with asymmetric stores. It would also adjust to maintain this condition as stores were expended. In effect, the trim acted to command a continuous pitch, roll, or yaw rate if the pilot wished to deviate from the normal trimmed condition for some (unknown) reason.

In DCS, stores configurations, asymmetry, and employing weapons cause the jet to be out of the trimmed state. From what I understand the jet should be automatically countering this with no pilot input. Is the current behavior accurate and if not is that something that will be fixed?

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

I was wondering the exact same thing. Also currently in the Viper roll trim is only correct for one speed. So if you have an asymmetry in stores and you get the plane trimmed out then if you change speed you need to re-trim the plane again. This noticeable increases pilot workload and I wonder if the real plane is like that .. if the pilot has commanded a certain trim why wouldn't the computer adjust that for speed automatically? Would be really curious how it works IRL.

The airplane won't auto-trim in roll if for example one bomb of a left-right pair is released. If you drop one MK-84 the airplane will not fly straight until pilot roll trim is applied. The same is true of yaw.

Yes but once the effect has been trimmed out does the pilot have to keep changing the trim with airspeed. If so .. why? A computer is really good at doing that kind of thing automatically.

Yes but once the effect has been trimmed out does the pilot have to keep changing the trim with airspeed. If so .. why? A computer is really good at doing that kind of thing automatically.

Once trimmed the FLCS computer tries to keep that trim for any given speed. it is not perfect however.

Once trimmed the FLCS computer tries to keep that trim for any given speed. it is not perfect however.

That makes sense .. seems like it's not quite functioning in DCS currently. It doesn't really seem to make any effort to adjust the trim for speed .. or at least I find myself constantly having to trim out with an asymmetric load.

Did you (or do you) fly the Viper Bouli306?

Edited by Tomsk

What about beta? That's probably the most frustrating part of the asymmetry at the moment.

Edited by mattag08

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Can someone comment on how big of a deal flying with the TPOD and an otherwise symetric load should affect trim? I can't ever seem to trim out the roll effect, and its bloody annoying. One tick right, and it keeps rolling, one tick left back the other way. I think it should be possible for either the human or the FLCS to trim this out. Maybe the trim button presses are too coarse?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Can someone comment on how big of a deal flying with the TPOD and an otherwise symetric load should affect trim? I can't ever seem to trim out the roll effect, and its bloody annoying. One tick right, and it keeps rolling, one tick left back the other way. I think it should be possible for either the human or the FLCS to trim this out. Maybe the trim button presses are too coarse?

yeah the roll trim needs to be reduced a TON. At the moment, we can't do any fine tuned trimming.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

yeah the roll trim needs to be reduced a TON. At the moment, we can't do any fine tuned trimming.

^THIS^ :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds