please add client setting "disable auto radio/communications menu popup"

D4n

It only comes up automatically I think when it’s going to make continuing communication easier.

Nope. It comes up automatically whenever ATC feels like being talkative irrespective of whether it's necessary or not including when there's not even any kind of appropriate response for the player to give, and it comes up without any prompting form the player which it should never do.

It comes up all the time when it's not the thing you need, which is what makes it frustrating.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Nope. It comes up automatically whenever ATC feels like being talkative irrespective of whether it's necessary or not including when there's not even any kind of appropriate response for the player to give, and it comes up without any prompting form the player which it should never do.

It comes up all the time when it's not the thing you need, which is what makes it frustrating.

Does this perhaps vary by aircraft? I was just flying the F-86 and the comms menu only came up when I pressed the command. Even with ATC, and then when bringing it up during the approach and landing for example, it of course comes up in a continuing sequence like it should. After landing there is no comms menu coming up, just radio speech and subtitles “taxi to parking area”

I don’t see happening what you’re describing.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

+1

100% agree with OP. Great idea!

As for the back and forth of it being a bother to just press the com button or not....Well....

Here is what you do.

Read the text that the OP wrote!

All that back and forth is fruitless. Those who want that function can have it active, those who do not like it, well, deactivate it. Very simple nice quality of life option for all. No conflict, no one else involved, just you and your opinion and freedom to check or uncheck a box in the settings of DCS at your own will.

Simple.

• Like 1

please add a client setting "disable auto radio/communications menu popup upon airfield landing", to let players chose if the menu opens by itself upon landing on an airfield

What you’re seeing is probably a bug. I’ve tested landings with the F-86 at Batumi and the M-2000C at Creech. Neither time did I get any un-commanded pop of of the comms menu.

I did get it popping up with the A-10C at Creech though on the final.

In none of the cases did the pop up happen when rolling out, only the radio message “taxi to parking area”. So this seems to be a bug that affects different aircraft.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

What you’re seeing is probably a bug.

No. It's how the game communication system operates, and it does so for everyone. If you're not seeing it, then you haven't set your comms up correctly or you've broken something in your game.

And your client being bugged is not a good reason why on-command-only menus should not be an option.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

No. It's how the game communication system operates, and it does so for everyone. If you're not seeing it, then you haven't set your comms up correctly or you've broken something in your game.

And your client being bugged is not a good reason why on-command-only menus should not be an option.

It doesn't happen every time so it's most likely a bug. I only got it to happen 1 out of 3 times with different aircraft.

see thread here if you want to post a track

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4171742&postcount=1

It doesn't happen every time so it's most likely a bug.

Again, the standard behaviour is the one described in the OP. If that's doesn't happen then that's the bug and the anomaly, not when it does happen. A bug fix would make what you're seeing go away, not what everyone else wants gone (and one of those two cases you describe has a long history of buggy and oddly-behaving radios, which should give you a hint).

And either way, it should always be the player's choice which of the two should happen, no matter what.

you are forcing pilots to communicate with the airport before landing.

NO this option is not good if a pilot lands without a permit on an airport in reality they seize the plane and the pilot is arrested.

None of that is what's happening here either. And options are always good. Always.

Edited by Tippis

Again, the standard behaviour is the one described in the OP.

If different people see different things and I get different results in different flights would tend to point to it being a bug.

Even as a bug it’s a very minor thing, just tap the comms button to make it go away.

Edited by SharpeXB

Even as a bug it’s a very minor thing, just tap the comms button to make it go away.

Or better yet, fix the bug where it doesn't work, and then add the option to not have it pop up. Everyone wins.

Or better yet, fix the bug where it doesn't work, and then add the option to not have it pop up. Everyone wins.

We shouldn’t need an option to make it not pop up. It’s not supposed to pop up on it’s own. If it does, that’s a bug. It really can’t function by popping up on its own. Unless you have “Easy Comms” enabled you need to press the correct radio key in order for it to function. If it comes up on it’s own how does it know which radio to use? The one time I saw it come up it did so without any reason or logic and not in the right sub menu (ATC) check the track.

the popup ruins immersion quite a bit

• Like 2
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

We shouldn’t need an option to make it not pop up. It’s not supposed to pop up on it’s own.

Again, that's the standard behaviour.

And as such, we do indeed need an option to suppress it.

In addition, if the standard behaviour doesn't work for some reason, then that bug needs to be fixed.

If it comes up on it’s own how does it know which radio to use?

This is a very silly thing to ask, you know, and it rather shows that you (once again) haven't been paying attention or grasped what the problem is. You do know the different ways in which ATC communications come through to the player depending on how their radios are set up, right? :D

Edited by Tippis

Again, that's the standard behaviour.

That’s not what I experience. In every case except that one random instance I reported, I’m the one who commands the comm menu to pop up. It does not pop up on its own.

If you see something different, post a track of it.

The way that comms work without Easy Comms enabled, you’d have to be the one initiating it because you need to select the correct radio for it to work. Which aircraft are you using? The A-10C for example has 3 radios, one of which needs to be selected for ATC VHF frequencies. You need to push that radio for ATC. If you press the UHF it won’t work.

Edited by SharpeXB

That’s not what I experience. In every case except that one random instance I reported, I’m the one who commands the comm menu to pop up.

…and you tried how many to determine that this is the standard behaviour? :D

Did you try it from an actual landing position where you go through the whole process (with repeated comms pop-ups when ATC contacts you) or just a quick straight in where you have to rush through it, because it is entirely possible to pre-empt many of the menus, but also to skip over some of the triggers altogether if you pack them in too closely. You may very well have discovered a bug here, but it's not the one you think it is — just look at the number of people seeing this behaviour, and then suddenly you come along and can't make this very common, very standard behaviour happen?

The way that comms work without Easy Comms enabled
This has nothing to do with “easy comms”. That option does something very different from what you imagine. The pop-up happens irrespective of which radio control simplifications you have turned on since it's a behaviour in the ATC, not the aircraft radios. Again, this only demonstrates that you do not have good enough an understanding of how the radios work to understand what the problem is — you're making assertions from a position of (what always seems to be the case) wilful ignorance, just to troll the thread and keep bugs from being fixed and the game from being improved.

Why do you always do that? :(

Edited by Tippis

Did you try it from an actual landing position where you go through the whole process (with repeated comms pop-ups when ATC contacts you)

The missions I used were the single player quick mission Free Flight and then went through the whole ATC contact and landing. Also I observe the same behavior in SP campaigns, this time the Yalu campaign for the F-86 (which does not feature custom ATC)

I am running the Stable Release version, Easy Comms off

You should probably run a few tests and see if you can cobble together a bug report then, since per your previous description you're seemingly running into some pretty inconsistent behaviour.

And anyway, the need for an option remains.

You should probably run a few tests and see if you can cobble together a bug report then, since per your previous description you're seemingly running into some pretty inconsistent behaviour.

And anyway, the need for an option remains.

I already did a bug report. If I notice that it’s repeatable I could make another. This really doesn’t occur enough or bother me enough to spend more time on it.

This really doesn’t occur enough or bother me enough to spend more time on it.

So presumably, you'll stop trying to argue against this improvement of the game, then, especially with such a non-argument as “I never noticed it”.

So presumably, you'll stop trying to argue against this improvement of the game, then, especially with such a non-argument as “I never noticed it”.

No it’s perfectly ok with me if they fix this bug. I’m not “against the improvement of the game”

I’m just saying that I’m done spending time on this. I’ve reported and documented it, They can take it from here.

I’m just saying that I’m done spending time on this.

Obviously not. You're far too vested in your obvious shtick of dragging discussions off topic and getting the last word in to be done. :D

Same as with how you've quite obviously opposed this proposed improvement (and others) and have been trying to derail the discussion pretty much from the start.

Edited by Tippis

Obviously not. You're far too vested in your obvious shtick of dragging discussions off topic and getting the last word in to be done. :D

Same as with how you've quite obviously opposed this proposed improvement (and others) and have been trying to derail the discussion pretty much from the start.

Do you have anything useful to add to the discussion?

If this issue bothers you so much then take the time to make a bug report and do something useful. Otherwise this topic has run its course.

Edited by SharpeXB

This video is 8 years old but as far as I can tell, the comms menu in DCS for this plane has never changed. This is exactly the same response I see today, except in the bug report the menu popped up by itself at the moment the altitude alert comes on during final.

All the times that the menu comes up, I’m the one pressing the radio key to bring it up. It never comes up on its own. It doesn’t come up upon landing, only the ATC radio message appears