TDC depress not locking

A.P. Hill

Hi All

I am all of a sudden having a problem getting my throttle designate depress to lock up a target using Mav Es and the targeting pod.

I have had no problem in the past, even with the mission I have attached a track file of in this post, getting it to lock using TDC depress.

I have watched Waggs video on this (

) and believing I am doing it correctly. When I use the depress button you will see in the track file the maverick doesn’t see the target that I have designated with the TP.

I am probably just forgetting something but I am hoping someone can help me out with this.

Thanks

Targeting pod-Mave e wont lock.trk

Watched your track; the Maverick didn't see the laser because you never fired the laser. After you box the TRIG option, use the trigger on the stick to fire the laser. Watch the FLIR page, if it says L ARM, is laser is armed but not firing. It will switch to LTD/R when it's firing.

Remember that AGM-65E is Laser Maverick.

Remember that AGM-65F is Infrared Maverick.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

.. box the TRIG option ..

the thing not to forget

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

If you watch Waggs video I mentioned, you will see him find the target with the TP, set it to point track, and then, with the maverick uncaged and searching he says to press the TDC depress button, that in the video slews the seeker to the point he designated on the target. He hasn't fired the laser yet because he is not in range. That's my problem. I find the target, set it to point track with the TP and with the maverick uncaged I press the tdc depress button and it doesn't slew to the target as in his video. it just keeps going back and forth seeking.

In my track you can see that I boxed the trigger function, but the problem is before I need to fire the laser. You can see in the left DDI by the "S" showing up is when I press the tdc depress button ( enter by default) that should, as in the Waggs video, slew the seeker to the designated target, this is before I fire the laser. It doesn't slew it just keeps going back and forth. It used to work that way for me but now it doesn't.

If you watch Waggs video I mentioned, you will see him find the target with the TP, set it to point track, and then, with the maverick uncaged and searching he says to press the TDC depress button, that in the video slews the seeker to the point he designated on the target. He hasn't fired the laser yet because he is not in range. That's my problem. I find the target, set it to point track with the TP and with the maverick uncaged I press the tdc depress button and it doesn't slew to the target as in his video. it just keeps going back and forth seeking.

In my track you can see that I boxed the trigger function, but the problem is before I need to fire the laser. You can see in the left DDI by the "S" showing up is when I press the tdc depress button ( enter by default) that should, as in the Waggs video, slew the seeker to the designated target, this is before I fire the laser. It doesn't slew it just keeps going back and forth. It used to work that way for me but now it doesn't.

TDC depress does not slave the maverick seeker head to the target when DDI displaying Maverick is SOI - that is what cage/uncage button does. TDC depress creates a target designation. Sounds like terminology is being confused a bit.

Assuming you have Master Arm on, A/G master mode selected, MavE selected (and cooled down), FLIR armed (and cooled down), LTD/R armed (forward position):

Find target via TGP.

TDC depress when target is in TGP gate (point track is best typically and FLIR as SOI).

Box TRIG (FLIR display).

Fire laser by depressing gun trigger.

DDI displaying MaverickE to SOI (uncage seeker head if not automatically done).

Depress weapon release button (call rifle if friendly aircraft are in AO out of courtesy).

Wait for Maverick to impact target before depressing the gun trigger again to cease the laser.

EDIT: Make sure you are within the slant range limitation of the laser (around 15nm if memory serves correctly), and maverick range can depend on a few other parameters. A typical effect employment range is 7-10nm.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie
EDIT:

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks Don

I'm sure I probably am confusing terminology. I am not a high time f-18 guy. Have way more time in Spits.

Thanks for you explanation. I needed something like that. Sometimes I misunderstand what Wags says in his videos.

No problem at all, always happy to try and assist. Would be happy to do a little 1 on 1 training some time with you, if you so desired. Getting schedules to line up can sometimes be tricky for folks, but if it's possible - I'd certainly be willing to assist in a MP server. A member of a few good communities via Discord server(s) and DCS server(s) - with plenty of folks, myself included, willing to assist.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I would love to do some one on one with you.I am retired so am available most of the time. I am in Michigan USA. Eastern time zone. Be nice to join up with folks in that time zone or close to it.

Thanks a bunch!

Copy that. I will be flying tomorrow, and happy to assist if you’d like. I will send you my Discord screen name via PM, feel free to send me a friend request with it, via Discord and we can link up.

Cheers,

Don

• ED Team

removed bickering posts, as the OP has his answer I have closed this thread.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2