Well...maybe some day this will be fun!!!

dwbarnett

All I have done is read and tweak on this Pimax 5k+ and DCS! I have tried the kegytes <sp> mod, didn't work too well for me. Hell, I can't even seem to get Brickdusts F14 cockpit label mod installed properly using OVGME. I'm sure it's me. It shows up on the program, it seems to install OK...but no change in the F14

I have read so much of do this, try this...don't use PiTool...use Pitool...better to use Stream SS instead. Make sure you set in Nvidia Cp Prefer Max performane...Nividia CP doesn't work in DCS!!...Aggghh!!!

I'm just trying to get an enjoyable experience as a lot of the rest of you.

I am running the latest DCS OB 2.5.6.XXXXX, The latest PiTool and Firmware, Stream VR beta .17,

DCS is set up with basic VR default settings right now. Nothing I try seems to work. The F14 and A10C are just a judderfest in the cockpit..with a lot of shimmer and blurry visuals.

I feel I have a good system to run this thing.

I9 990EX OC to 4.8ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAm, Aorus water cooled extreme 2080ti video card.

WTH, were do I start now? Perhaps something wrong with headset....I was getting some flashing in the screens with some double imaging....seems to have stopped though for now.

I have heard mention of using task mgr or process lasso to make DCS just use certain cores. Not sure how to do this properly.

Finally, if there is someone around the Dallas Ft worth area that could help, that would be a appreciated. Perhaps we could hook up via voice...and maybe get his working OK. Even better if you had a Pimax

Any insight appreciated. I'm all tweaked out now folks. I have an 8KX on order, but right now the way things are running...will it really make a difference? I don't seem to be having too much luck with the 5K+

David

Intel® Core i9-9900X CPU @ 3.50GHz OC 4.5GHz,G.SkillDDR4-3200,X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF,Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512GB,Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB,WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0,WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0,NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(Watercooled AORUS 11GB),H100i Cooler.

NVIDIA Driver:430.64

OS:Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit (Build 17763)

Periphials: TM Warthog A10 HOTAS/Throttle,CH Rudder Pedals.

VR:Pimax 5K+,PiTools V1.0.1.129,HMD Firmware V2.1.255.212,

SteamVR V1.1.18

Part of the problem is definitely 2.5.6. which has much, MUCH worse performance for me. I am back to 2.5.5. for now.

Try starting with every possible setting on the minimum and if the performance is acceptable start slowly increasing things. My settings for VR are pretty close to the minimums and I barely maintain 40fps most of the time. On a monitor I can run everything maxed and get 70 fps in the tomcat.

Thanks MPK, might try reverting to 2.5.5. I see all these folks, with a system not as powerful as mine, and they don't seem to have many issues...go figure. Very frustrating. I guess there isn't a "magic" solution for me right now. Due to my real world job flying, I don't have hours upon hours to try all these settings...hence my research on what others have done to help their performance. Just not happening for me right now.

Maybe I'll give it another shot later. Like I said, following guides...can't even seem to get brickdusters f14 cockpit mod installed. Oh well, life goes on. Perhaps someone reading this will have a good solution for me at some point.

David

Intel® Core i9-9900X CPU @ 3.50GHz OC 4.5GHz,G.SkillDDR4-3200,X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF,Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512GB,Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB,WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0,WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0,NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(Watercooled AORUS 11GB),H100i Cooler.

SteamVR V1.1.18

Patch wrecked me to, seems likely it’s the lighting. Looks good but it’s a resource hog. Came to see what other people were doing for settings. I took supersampling down enough to keep msaa at x2 with index at 80hz (mostly stable 40fps), it’s OK... but definitely a big hit from the patch, less clarity in cockpit is a bummer

My issue is a weird flickering I can’t seem to get rid of? Not an AA flicker, like full screen. If I define gpu OC it’s less severe, it I’ve run this card at the same speed in DCS and every other game for the last year. Seriously bugging me

I don’t understand what you got going on though. What are your full settings (steam included) and actual FPS?

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

might try reverting to 2.5.5.

Go for a second "stable" install (2.5.5 atm) and use Skatezilla's updater to switch between the two. As long as the OpenBeta is messed up (not the first time and it's an Open Beta for something) you can still enjoy a stable version to fly around in.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks for the help everyone. Apparently there is a newer 2.5.6 released. Perhaps that will take care of the issues right now.

Best,

David

SteamVR V1.1.18

All I have done is read and tweak on this Pimax 5k+ and DCS! I have tried the kegytes <sp> mod, didn't work too well for me. Hell, I can't even seem to get Brickdusts F14 cockpit label mod installed properly using OVGME. I'm sure it's me. It shows up on the program, it seems to install OK...but no change in the F14

I have read so much of do this, try this...don't use PiTool...use Pitool...better to use Stream SS instead. Make sure you set in Nvidia Cp Prefer Max performane...Nividia CP doesn't work in DCS!!...Aggghh!!!

I am running the latest DCS OB 2.5.6.XXXXX, The latest PiTool and Firmware, Stream VR beta .17,

DCS is set up with basic VR default settings right now. Nothing I try seems to work. The F14 and A10C are just a judderfest in the cockpit..with a lot of shimmer and blurry visuals.

I9 990EX OC to 4.8ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAm, Aorus water cooled extreme 2080ti video card.

WTH, were do I start now? Perhaps something wrong with headset....I was getting some flashing in the screens with some double imaging....seems to have stopped though for now.

I have heard mention of using task mgr or process lasso to make DCS just use certain cores. Not sure how to do this properly.

Finally, if there is someone around the Dallas Ft worth area that could help, that would be a appreciated. Perhaps we could hook up via voice...and maybe get his working OK. Even better if you had a Pimax

Any insight appreciated. I'm all tweaked out now folks. I have an 8KX on order, but right now the way things are running...will it really make a difference? I don't seem to be having too much luck with the 5K+

David

There ain't no fix mate, unless you're one of the few VR players who can't tell the difference between 45fps and 90fps.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

David

I went through this with the 2.5.6 update. It’s very easy for people to overthink the settings with all of the “it works for me” mods and setups out there. I got wrapped up into it as well. The fact is, all of our systems are different. Some things work, some things don’t. VR vs. monitor, rift s vs. odyssey+, 1080ti vs. 2080ti, 16GB ram vs. 32GB, etc. (makes me want a signature with system specs required for all members...). Your system should handle DCS.

Take a deep breath and reset. Everything will be ok.

Get rid of all mods, do a repair, erase contents of metashaders and fox in your saved games folders, reset entire Nvidia CP to application controlled, and start with DCS settings at medium. Test. If things are good, start bumping up the settings. Here’s the important and time consuming part, but so worth it. Adjust settings one at a time, maybe two. Easy to go crazy and lose track of changes.

I did that and got to max DCS setting, MSAA @ 4, SSAA @ 1.5, PD 1.2 and v-sync on running 40-80 FPS depending on what I’m doing. I personally think 40 FPS at high settings runs/looks better than 80 FPS on medium settings. Super clean and “smooth enough.” Trying to be perfect will only frustrate you.

Good luck!

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

I went through this with the 2.5.6 update. It’s very easy for people to overthink the settings with all of the “it works for me” mods and setups out there. I got wrapped up into it as well. The fact is, all of our systems are different. Some things work, some things don’t. VR vs. monitor, rift s vs. odyssey+, 1080ti vs. 2080ti, 16GB ram vs. 32GB, etc. (makes me want a signature with system specs required for all members...). Your system should handle DCS.

Take a deep breath and reset. Everything will be ok.

Get rid of all mods, do a repair, erase contents of metashaders and fox in your saved games folders, reset entire Nvidia CP to application controlled, and start with DCS settings at medium. Test. If things are good, start bumping up the settings. Here’s the important and time consuming part, but so worth it. Adjust settings one at a time, maybe two. Easy to go crazy and lose track of changes.

I did that and got to max DCS setting, MSAA @ 4, SSAA @ 1.5, PD 1.2 and v-sync on running 40-80 FPS depending on what I’m doing. I personally think 40 FPS at high settings runs/looks better than 80 FPS on medium settings. Super clean and “smooth enough.” Trying to be perfect will only frustrate you.

Good luck!

+1. This has to be one of the best posts I've seen on the subject. :thumbup:

Work the problem one step at a time, and when you're just starting out in your tweaking, shut off the bloody FPS counter and just "Use the force, Luke!". Pay attention to how things look and feel to you in the beginning. Once you get it working acceptably for your individual liking, then you can choose whether or not to turn the FPS counter back on and start chasing dragons. Chasing the dragon from the start can easily end up getting you frustrated so badly that you can no longer keep your troubleshooting process organized. Personally, I started with everything set to low, and gradually bumped things up one step at a time. An easy way to determine how badly you're likely to get ghosting without much time investment is just to jump into the cockpit and quickly move your head back and forth, laterally. Once you get that smoothed out to where you have a minimum of image smearing, then you can start putting more time into it where you fly short missions and see how much ghosting you're still getting when looking to the sides at things going by you. Tweak from there. There is no "one size fits all" solution. I'd definitely recommend experimenting with your levels of SteamVR supersampling as well as PD in DCS.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I feel I have a good system to run this thing.h

David

Bummer:cry: I really feel your pain,Especially with that powerful system,I can't see any reason why you can't enjoy the immersion of VR.

One thing that DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta did do is eliminat The Need for (PP) Parallel Projection to be turned on in Pitool....You should pick up 10-20 FPS with this being turned off,Hope you can get your issue sorted out...If I can think of anything else I'll be sure to chime in :thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

I am running an I7700k OC to 4.8, 16 GB ddr4 3200, Nvidia 2080ti and a Valve Index at 200% supersampling. My usual fps in multiplayer is ~45 fps, decent image quality (for VR).

My recommendations:

Remove ground shadows, remove MSAA and set Object Distance Draw to medium.

I was using a Pimax 5k before and it requires a lot of computer power (one of the reasons I am using an Index now) it is the price you pay for having the huge fov. Be sure of enabling Fixed Foveated rendering and disable Parallel Projection.

I am 8KX backer and honestly, I don't think I am going to use it for DCS unless Nvidia releases an incredible graphic card this summer.

By the way, the HP Reverb looks awesome and runs at 90 fps, maybe you can borrow one to test.

Edited by Icebeat

I am running an I7700k OC to 4.8, 16 GB ddr4 3200, Nvidia 2080ti and a Valve Index at 200% supersampling. My usual fps in multiplayer is ~45 fps, decent image quality (for VR).

My recommendations:

Remove ground shadows, remove MSAA and set Object Distance Draw to medium.

There is no such setting as Object Distance Draw.

Are you referring to Visibility Range?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|