High pitch sound with rapid altitude change.

Crayfish

Greeting all,

After being away for some weeks due to work I fired up DCS. It did it’s usual update. I loaded a QuickStart mission for the P-51 “Cold Start at Vizani” and proceeded to fly some aerobatics. I noticed that when I changed altitude rapidly such as zoom climbing and diving I would hear a high pitched tone which would last for about 15 seconds if I level out immediately. The other engine and environmental sounds would be dampened down.

The only description of this sound is that it’s similar to what you would get when exposed to sudden loud noises such as an explosion. I experienced this myself on several occasions while I was deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Is this meant to simulate the effects on hearing with rapid air pressure changes due to altitude changes? If so is there some virtual chewing gum to help mitigate this? LOL :P

• 2 weeks later...
Greeting all,

After being away for some weeks due to work I fired up DCS. It did it’s usual update. I loaded a QuickStart mission for the P-51 “Cold Start at Vizani” and proceeded to fly some aerobatics. I noticed that when I changed altitude rapidly such as zoom climbing and diving I would hear a high pitched tone which would last for about 15 seconds if I level out immediately. The other engine and environmental sounds would be dampened down.

The only description of this sound is that it’s similar to what you would get when exposed to sudden loud noises such as an explosion. I experienced this myself on several occasions while I was deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Is this meant to simulate the effects on hearing with rapid air pressure changes due to altitude changes? If so is there some virtual chewing gum to help mitigate this? LOL :P

I have been able to consistently reproduce this when airspeed reaches 410 knots. Not sure what its all about, and it doesn't happen in the TF-51D, just the P-51D. I haven't tried timing it because it seems to start going away the faster I go, and fades completely if I slow back down to 380 knots.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Is this sound appearing while plane is at high AOA (stick is in back position).

Or you are referring to this bug when you got this high pitch sound in your ears while other sounds get muted ?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes pattern is very unclear for me, sometime it's happening to me when i look back or up in level flight too.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Just to be clear to those who haven't experienced it, it's NOT like a high pitch sound set above and in competition with the normal cockpit sounds. When it comes on, its a total domination of sound. If you have ever had an experience of a loud bang at damaging levels, and you heard nothing but a loud ring, that's a pretty good simulation of what I am experiencing in the P-51 from time to time.